Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 13:53   #1786
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaTT View Post
I am very, very upset. I was looking forward to getting my TiVo installed next Tuesday but my contract arrived this morning with a phone line rental on it. I was told when I ordered that I would be able to have TiVo without a phone. However, when I phoned up today I've been told I can't have TiVo without a phone and so I've had to cancel.

This is so dissappointing.
I take it, it wasn't mentioned when you signed up?
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2011, 13:57   #1787
TeresaTT
Inactive

Services: Virgin V+HD TV XL Broadband L Soon to have TiVo
TeresaTT has a spectacular aura about themTeresaTT has a spectacular aura about themTeresaTT has a spectacular aura about themTeresaTT has a spectacular aura about them

There is still a small chance for me I think. After talking to customer services, I called back the guy who put the order through for me as he had given me his direct number. I explained to him what had happened and he said to call back next Monday and he should be able to do something as the system should be accepting TiVo without a phone line then. I've lost my install slot for next Tuesday but he said I should still be able to get it in February.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
I take it, it wasn't mentioned when you signed up?
It was mentioned but I was told the phone line would be removed from my order before the install date when the system had the appropriate codes available. I was told I could defintely have a TiVo without a phone line.

I think the chap who took my order is doing his best but he had to fiddle things because the system isn't set up yet to accept TiVo without a phone line.
Old 08-02-2011, 14:04   #1788
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:
There is still a small chance for me I think. After talking to customer services, I called back the guy who put the order through for me as he had given me his direct number. I explained to him what had happened and he said to call back next Monday and he should be able to do something as the system should be accepting TiVo without a phone line then. I've lost my install slot for next Tuesday but he said I should still be able to get it in February.

It was mentioned but I was told the phone line would be removed from my order before the install date when the system had the appropriate codes available. I was told I could defintely have a TiVo without a phone line.

I think the chap who took my order is doing his best but he had to fiddle things because the system isn't set up yet to accept TiVo without a phone line.
Good luck Teresa and come back and tell us how you get on. It would be nice to hear your opinion of the box as well if you do get it installed.

Old 08-02-2011, 14:13   #1789
Cozzy
Inactive

Cozzy is on a distinguished roadCozzy is on a distinguished road

believe me when i say i really dont like to critise or complain ... BUT

this is just another small element of the tivo rollout that should have been thought of and sorted before it was offered to the end customer ..

I like VM .. i really do but they do have problems communicating even among there own staff so everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet and even worse communication with customers. I know its probably inevitable with a large corporate company but these little mishaps do lead to a reputation dent in the long run

sadly i have far less faith in VM now than i did 2 weeks ago but maybe thats just me being ultra picky
Old 08-02-2011, 14:22   #1790
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

There's a lot of complaint in this thread (and others) about how VM has handled the rollout of TiVo boxes.

With big tech releases like this (early adopters for smart phones and tablets show similar types of complaints), you are never going to be able to please everyone when rolling out and communicating what's going on.

Most of the people on this forum thread are eager for TiVo and are fairly tech savvy and are scrutinising VM's every move, which most users won't be. They'll get to hear about the service when VM offer it to them, or by word of mouth, or by advertising when it comes.

I think we're being unfair to VM. They've got a massive task to roll out new tech to the masses in a way that will keep the majority of their customers happy and hopefully tempt Sky users to join up.

Let's all be patient and put a little perspective on things. Good things come to those that wait, and I'm damn sure it's going to be good.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to hear more first hand experiences from those lucky early adopters in this thread, to test my patience to the max.

Boz
Old 08-02-2011, 14:29   #1791
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Ah, ok. the forum will have made an assumption that it was sneaked in, but from what you are saying it's part of the offer, but VM are trying to remove that for you?

Hope it gets sorted for you
Old 08-02-2011, 14:37   #1792
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

To be honest, depending on your broadband service, it may end up cheaper or the same price to take it with the line that without it
Old 08-02-2011, 14:38   #1793
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
To be honest, depending on your broadband service, it may end up cheaper or the same price to take it with the line that without it
Quite often that is the case and you do not even have to use the phone line except to call Virginmedia for free.
Old 08-02-2011, 14:51   #1794
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

Just thought that I would inform other's of what I've been told in regards to the lauch of TiVo and the 1 in a 1000 issue.

I have been informed by my contact within the CEO Office that they had 25,000 people register for TiVo out of those they chose 1000 VIP 50 customer's (I know other's have been selected so maybe the CEO office was lying or other member's are)
He also insisted that TiVo is not being fully released until March and pricing details for all customer's had not been finalised and would be issued in March also.

That is what I was told, maybe fibs maybe truth. I'm going to forget about TiVo for the time being and enjoy the service's I have ALL which fully work anyhow!

I didn't contact the CEO office to moan about the 1 in a 1000 and was to do with another ongoing billing issue but thought I'd ask the question whilst I was in contact.

Maybe this information will be useful to some and maybe annoy other's, just thought I would share this.

Here is a copy of what was said I've obviously edited out private info.....

Hi .......

The details for pricing for TiVo for VIP50 package customer have not been released yet. I expect this to be in late March when the service is fully
launched.

We had over 25,000 registrations and of these we have selected 1000 VIP50 customers to get the service a little
earlier. As mentioned above the service will be launched fully in March.
Old 08-02-2011, 15:00   #1795
Rattus
Inactive

Rattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enough

I think that appears to be the take home message, forget tivo for at least 2 months.

Perhaps a few staff got a little carried away on hear with the excitement about imminent launches etc.
Old 08-02-2011, 15:04   #1796
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmsky View Post
Just thought that I would inform other's of what I've been told in regards to the lauch of TiVo and the 1 in a 1000 issue.
Thanks for that, just a shame that VM didn't communicate that a bit better to everyone waiting on here, even if they had announced something after the surprise at the weekend, at the moment its taken a bit of the shine off of me wanting to get TIVO
Old 08-02-2011, 15:08   #1797
pauldavies83
Inactive

pauldavies83 is on a distinguished roadpauldavies83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardie View Post
I think that Teresa has been badly treated and it is very disappointing for her but how is it any better for BT to do package bundles than VM. They could just as easily give you just broadband. The reason they do it is because they sell packages at a price they think will make a profit.
In Teresa's case I think she should have been given the option to have tivo at an adjusted price but as VM aren't doing that whilst the boxes are scarce that probably wasn't possible. She should have been told that straight away though.
Fair point, but the broadband is delivered down the phone line with BT (ie needs to be enabled to the house for voice to be able to deliver the phone). I suppose they could cut the voice out at the exchange, but the physical line is required.

VM don't need to provide phone to provide broadband - the phone comes down a seperate twisted pair from the DP and the broadband/TV is delivered via coax. So the only reason for the bundles is business related, not a technical limitation.
Old 08-02-2011, 15:13   #1798
Paulch
Inactive

Paulch is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I can make out of the Tivo roll out is that a group were selected to make sure that when the full roll out happens it was as much bug free as possible.
If you think about it, if they just went ahead without it being debugged the amount of calls made to VM would be an avalanche, there would be more complaints than what happens at the moment about the slow roll out. Can you imagine the postings and people using this site looking for information might have brought this crashing down...
Think the only critism I have about VM was announcing the Tivo box before it was ready for a bigger initial roll out, but on the other hand I dont think that VM would have managed to keep it secret on any type of secret roll out.

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

Willing to pass on any info, about the box, just let me know what you need!
Old 08-02-2011, 15:14   #1799
Cozzy
Inactive

Cozzy is on a distinguished roadCozzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmsky View Post
Just thought that I would inform other's of what

Hi .......

The details for pricing for TiVo for VIP50 package customer have not been released yet. I expect this to be in late March when the service is fully
launched.

We had over 25,000 registrations and of these we have selected 1000 VIP50 customers to get the service a little
earlier. As mentioned above the service will be launched fully in March.
so late March for existing customers to know the price and available to new customers from April .... dont give existing customers long to get their order in especially if that is 23,000 plus installs to do

i hope the last part about 1000 VIP50 customers to get it earlier means the other VIP50 get the same deal just later down the line as i think that is the fairest deal .. yes of course im jealous of the lucky ones , who wouldnt be .. but more than that they have the reward of early instal for free ... other VIP peeps should get the same free instal but at a later date .. thats treating customers equally

thanks for the info ... once again though shows that different VM staff are saying different things to different people even when they are from the same CEO office

personally having reviewed my TV use and habits i asked myself ... do i need something extra for £149 ... and i say to myself NOPE .. so unless its free then tivo aint for me
Old 08-02-2011, 15:27   #1800
The Yank
Inactive

Services: VIP(300BB) 2xV6 Boxes
The Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozzy View Post

personally having reviewed my TV use and habits i asked myself ... do i need something extra for £149 ... and i say to myself NOPE .. so unless its free then tivo aint for me
finally I can agree with something you say I'm more than happy with my sexy V+ box so why pay more?
Closed Thread