Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 15 tech visits and still no phone - what do I do?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

15 tech visits and still no phone - what do I do?

Old 14-06-2010, 23:53   #1
stann0
cf.member

stann0 is an unknown quantity at this point
15 tech visits and still no phone - what do I do?

Tomorrow I will have my 15th tech visit to try and fix my VM phone line in the last 9 months. Each time the problem is the same - very bad crackling on the line which makes calls in or out impossible. When it's really bad the phone rings when no-one is calling.

To me it sounds like a short circuit, probably caused by water. So far they've tried replacing almost every part of the cabling from my house to the street. This seems to fix it for a few weeks but then the problem returns.

This is doing my head in. My phone has probably only worked for 4 of the last 9 months. People have given up trying to ring me and it has become something of a bad joke. It has cost me untold money in time off work for the 15 visits, having to use my mobile instead of free land-line (including VM support!), and generally the hassle and time in having to deal with this.

What should I do? I'm literally at the end of the line!
stann0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2010, 00:46   #2
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 15 tech visits and still no phone - what do I do?

Have you tried a different phone on the line?
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 17:15   #3
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Put it like this...

After 5 failed visits from BT to fix their rubbish phone line I'm now on VM. It wouldn't have got to 15 callouts for me.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 21:57   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Give up.....
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 21:49   #5
stann0
cf.member

stann0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the tech turned up today - the same one that ordered a complete re-wire from the street to my house several months ago. He took one look and said they had only done a partial rewire (from the pavement to the outside connector box) and showed me the cable from there to my internal socket, which was totally knackered and had been letting in rain (as I thought). He did the rewire of that section himself and all seems OK now.

I should add that when the rewire from the pavement to the external junction box was done, it was of such a bad standard that they had to be called back twice to rectify it. Initially the cable was left running over paving blocks and could have tripped someone over!

What would be fair compensation for all this - not just for the loss of service but the incompetence of engineers not reading notes, not doing the proper work they were instructed to do, doing work to a laughably poor standard and general months of ball-ache? The guy I rang offered 2 weeks line rental (i.e. £5) which I thought was a bit of a joke!
stann0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 22:10   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Glad it's all sorted, your going to have to go to the top with this complaint to get a decent deal with virgin
Old 16-06-2010, 22:51   #7
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Did you take loads of photo's for evidence?
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 23:41   #8
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Absolutely terrible service, 15 visit's!!

This is the reason that would give any company a bad name and the reason why we need rid of the people that perform so badly in VM.
Old 18-06-2010, 10:58   #9
Dave_
Inactive

Dave_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
the reason why we need rid of the people that perform so badly in VM.
Or the reason techs need time to investigate faults properly and get a 1st time fix?
Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 20:23   #10
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
Or the reason techs need time to investigate faults properly and get a 1st time fix?
I hear that one all the time, 15 visits is plenty of time!
Old 18-06-2010, 21:08   #11
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Your missing the point
Old 18-06-2010, 21:48   #12
Dave_
Inactive

Dave_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Or 1 visit for a tech who has 18 visits to make that day.

Im not in any way excusing this situation as an intermittent fault for 9 months is a joke but if the line is clear after the visit and the 9083 meter is clear then the tech is done and out of there im afraid.
Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 15:07   #13
scooby-doo
Inactive

scooby-doo is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree with dave

i am sorry it took 15 visits, but not surprised

to be honest the techs manager should get his balls kicked for that amount of tech calls. they are a bunch of lazy clowns with nothin better to do with their time than throw paper aeroplanes at each other.
when you have 18 jobs per day and can barely stop for a lunch break let alone toilet break,and still expected 100% qaulity regardless of wether the repeat fault is caused by the tech or not, then speaking from experience if i tested the line with the company
supplied equipment and no fault showed up then i too would be out of there. sure you can order repulls and internal rewires,but if no fault shows up at time of visit then what you supposed to do.

its quantity or qaulity you cant have both,but those in the driving seat refuse to see that at the expence of good guys who want to do a good job but forced down the road of"dont give a f$%k next job please"attitude.
scooby-doo is offline   Reply With Quote