Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Q problems on Watchdog tonight.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky Q problems on Watchdog tonight.

Old 21-12-2016, 22:43   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Sky Q problems on Watchdog tonight.

Apparently, Sky Q is beset with technical problems and they are difficult to contact when things go wrong.

I'm currently keeping my VM service under review following unprecedented problems over 2016, so am interested if Sky customers have experienced the claims made in this programme. It's the first item in the show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0876d69
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2016, 23:12   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Sky Q problems on Watchdog tonight.

Had Q since August and had no issues with the main box or mini at all.

It starts at 3 minutes in
Old 21-12-2016, 23:23   #3
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Apparently, Sky Q is beset with technical problems and they are difficult to contact when things go wrong.

I'm currently keeping my VM service under review following unprecedented problems over 2016, so am interested if Sky customers have experienced the claims made in this programme. It's the first item in the show:

Nearly 2 months in with SkyQ and have to say it's functioned pretty flawlessly. There are a couple of things I think it could/should do differently but the performance and reliability have been first rate. So far I can't say we're planning to return to VM anytime soon.

Had no need to phone support so can't comment but just look on Cable Forum and you'll find your fair share of VM support nightmares (your own comments on your recent experience for example).

Also I thought you'd accepted a new contract in return for the free upgrade to a V6?

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 07:56   #4
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

I think taking quality assessments from a program that exists purely to show faults and make them bigger that what they actually are to lift viewing figures seems a bit iffy to me.Have a look on the Sky community forums and you will see that most of the complaints come from the same people and reading the posts i am convinced are problems of their own making .My own Sky Q is working just fine ,i have contacted support twice and both times i was sorted very fast and very competently,both issues where to do with wifi strength throughout my house which in fairness isn't Sky's fault but they did sort it with a free booster ,why haven't watchdog reported that ?
Old 22-12-2016, 11:04   #5
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'm pretty much the same overall very impressed with Sky Q , I've had the odd minor niggle but other than that it's a great system.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 14:24   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

I'd be wary of forming an opinion on a product based on a TV programme, for the same reason that I'd be wary of forming an opinion based on what I read in various forums.

Simply put, people are more likely to say something if something goes wrong. If the service or product functions exactly as specified, why should people say anything? They are getting exactly what they pay for.

If the product, service or the company providing fails, that's when people will speak up.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 03:25   #7
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Had Q since August and had no issues with the main box or mini at all.

It starts at 3 minutes in
I'm pretty sure I was recommending Sky Q to you a few months ago...but I've had repeated Sky Q minibox connectivity errors since it was installed.

They go away then return.

My house has brick walls everywhere which is an obvious issue.

I've had to resort to putting my minibox on the floor and using a much longer HDMI cable to reach the TV.

This has fixed it for now.

However, my latest issue is with the "multiscreen" streaming where I need to use the 2.4Ghz wifi in other parts of the house but I cannot choose the channels that the miniboxes or Sky Q 2Tb box use.
The Virgin router next door dominates the channels it uses whenever I get near it.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 09:58   #8
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
I'm pretty sure I was recommending Sky Q to you a few months ago...but I've had repeated Sky Q minibox connectivity errors since it was installed.

They go away then return.

My house has brick walls everywhere which is an obvious issue.

I've had to resort to putting my minibox on the floor and using a much longer HDMI cable to reach the TV.

This has fixed it for now.

However, my latest issue is with the "multiscreen" streaming where I need to use the 2.4Ghz wifi in other parts of the house but I cannot choose the channels that the miniboxes or Sky Q 2Tb box use.
The Virgin router next door dominates the channels it uses whenever I get near it.
Many issues with SkyQ are caused by other providers equipment.I know that when i had Virgin i was plagued with constant wifi and internet drop outs and many people are using Virgin or BT internet with Sky Q .My own set up is now all Sky and much better but i did have some issues with the mini box disconnecting,it was discovered that interference from other wifi devices like phones was the problem so i simply connected the mini via ethernet and no problems since
Old 27-12-2016, 21:00   #9
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I have just watch the prog on SkyQ problems.

When we had Sky installed several months ago. The Sky engineer asked me about having Q, but honestly told me that they are having plenty of problems with the New box.

Some engineers are being sent on training progs for them. But he also told me that Sky were rushing these out, before properly testing them.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 21:25   #10
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

I am unfortunately one of the affected Sky Q customers... and have just had Sky agree to terminate our contract so we can finally escape what can only be described as our worst TV experience ever (and we had the original Pace Cable boxes so that says something!)

Main box needed reset every 2 days to prevent recording fails, couldn't use more than 1 device (tablet or mini box) when using either ethernet or wireless. When mini box did have a connection it would blue screen at least 30 times a night. This coupled with infuriatingly slow on demand speeds when every other device in the house was unaffected was beyond frustrating.

Multiple engineer visits, changed ISP, changed router to a Netgear Nighthawk, separated 2.4 and 5Ghz networks, tried homeplugs, tried 100's of meters of direct ethernet to rule out problems... got to the stage where we just hated turning on the TV.

Gone back to Youview awaiting the future FTTP service from VM in my village. To be fair, having Youview has made us look again at how we actually watch TV.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 22:40   #11
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Hearing these stories I think I'll stick with Sky Fibre and the Sky Q hub as I've thankfully had hardly any issues in fact overall I've been really impressed.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 22:48   #12
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I think the biggest problem is that Sky, have tried to rush this new box out. And this is down to greed by them.

I have been with Sky for many years. As l was fed up with VM putting there prices up. Yes, we still have VM. But, just the basic package now.

Its like VM are charging an expensive price for there new box. Probably that will have faults.

Its Skys and VM want to beat each other.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 22:49   #13
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Hearing these stories I think I'll stick with Sky Fibre and the Sky Q hub as I've thankfully had hardly any issues in fact overall I've been really impressed.
Ditto here ,I know from experience that BT and Virgin hubs are going to cause a lot of problems for Sky
Old 29-12-2016, 10:56   #14
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I would imagine that it's the usual dichotomy between the salesmen* wanting to get the new "killer" product out to steal a march on the opposition and the engineers buzzing around like blue arsed flies desperately trying to fix the bugs or get sufficient kludges in place that the product doesn't immediatly fall flat on its face.

*And saleswomen.
Old 29-12-2016, 13:56   #15
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Same here.

The issues are mostly from people that don't have the Q hub and Sky Fibre