Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 25-07-2016, 19:17   #76
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media will launch a new set-top box

Will the new box be self install?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-07-2016, 21:35   #77
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Will the new box be self install?
Nothing has been announced, but it's a reasonable assumption. VM/LGI like self-install.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 21:41   #78
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Now all you need to do now is to give us a release date SP.
Old 25-07-2016, 22:04   #79
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I'm still curious to see whether VM launch a new PVR box later in the year or not. As I said earlier in the thread, I think it might just be a mini box linked to the cloud.
Old 26-07-2016, 11:50   #80
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

I'm not convinced a cloud based box will ever be allowed to replace a conventional PVR for broadcast TV. People have talked about it for years but rights issues get in the way. We already have catch up. The added benefit of a PVR is you can watch at any time in the future. But providers of boxed sets, after the catch up window, have to pay for separate rights. Virgin would need to pay for those rights for all shows broadcast on all is channels! A cloud based PVR that only kept shows during the catch up window is not a sufficient replacement.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 17:07   #81
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
I'm not convinced a cloud based box will ever be allowed to replace a conventional PVR for broadcast TV. People have talked about it for years but rights issues get in the way. We already have catch up. The added benefit of a PVR is you can watch at any time in the future. But providers of boxed sets, after the catch up window, have to pay for separate rights. Virgin would need to pay for those rights for all shows broadcast on all is channels! A cloud based PVR that only kept shows during the catch up window is not a sufficient replacement.

Which is absolute rubbish btw!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 18:56   #82
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Others have tried to argue that a storage device in the cloud is equivalent to a local drive and the rights owners have kicked back against it every time. I guess you never know, but unless you can argue more coherently than "rubbish" I still say its highly unlikely.

Edit: just spotted the bold in your quote. Are you just saying catch up is rubbish? In which case I agree. But again messed up by the difficulty of agreeing it with all the channels, if they even have them themselves. And, of course, Virgin's willingness to pay is certainly an issue too.

Last edited by Jong1; 26-07-2016 at 18:59.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 19:37   #83
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Others have tried to argue that a storage device in the cloud is equivalent to a local drive and the rights owners have kicked back against it every time. I guess you never know, but unless you can argue more coherently than "rubbish" I still say its highly unlikely.

Edit: just spotted the bold in your quote. Are you just saying catch up is rubbish? In which case I agree. But again messed up by the difficulty of agreeing it with all the channels, if they even have them themselves. And, of course, Virgin's willingness to pay is certainly an issue too.
Yes, it's extremely unreliable, Virgin should be ashamed that they haven't fixed this, a total joke imo!
Old 26-07-2016, 19:44   #84
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Yes, it's extremely unreliable, Virgin should be ashamed that they haven't fixed this, a total joke imo!
Agreed. Most of the time it's "temporarily unavailable" or takes longer than is convenient to load.

I tend to use my Smart TV instead as it's much quicker and has always been available.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 20:24   #85
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

If the new Tivo's recordings are cloud based won't trying to watch your recordings be problematic for those like Mad Max who already suffer with contention in their areas ? Or will the boxes be a mix of cloud and local ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 20:45   #86
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Agreed. Most of the time it's "temporarily unavailable" or takes longer than is convenient to load.

I tend to use my Smart TV instead as it's much quicker and has always been available.

I also have a smart TV Richard, but use the Netflix app on it more than anything else, i'll need to have a look to see if it has the facility for catch up, I was wanting to watch the first episode of Mr Robot, so i'm not sure if I can get this via the smart apps on my TV.
Old 26-07-2016, 22:18   #87
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

My wife and l were in a VM Store in Hounslow. And were told that we can renew our VM contract for a further year.

And be given a new BB box - which is WHITE, not a new Tivo box. And this will be better than anything else on the market.

We were shown the box similar to the BB box that we have now, but have been told this box is three times better than the box we have already - anyone heard of this.

I think it could be because l told him what l thought of the service of VM. And that Sky reps were standing about ten feet from me.

The box is about 5inches tall, with plug sockets on the rear - and its a stand up thing

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Also told that there is NO TiVo box on the horizon
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 22:24   #88
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

What you smoking mate..............
Old 26-07-2016, 22:35   #89
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I always use TiVo for what it was designed for - recording. No need for on demand or catchup.😇
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 22:40   #90
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I agree and have said the same myself, I don't know how VM would get around the rights issue for cloud based services.

But as I said either in this thread or elsewhere, it was something that one of VM's bosses said that got me suspicious into thinking that VM will launch a new box and call it a pvr yet the "recordings" will actually just be links to VM's on demand services.

Yes, I know this is unlikely as it would mean VM would have to have everything on their VOD servers, I am just suspicious (as always) about what they might do.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I always use TiVo for what it was designed for - recording. No need for on demand or catchup.😇
I would love to use it to record what I want, except it filled up within five minutes.... and shortly afterwards it became slow and sluggish and awful to use ever since.

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
If the new Tivo's recordings are cloud based won't trying to watch your recordings be problematic for those like Mad Max who already suffer with contention in their areas ? Or will the boxes be a mix of cloud and local ?
THis is what concerns me with cloud based services, its only as good as your connection and contention in your own area.