Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which freeview HD recorder?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Which freeview HD recorder?

Old 28-10-2014, 13:02   #1
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all
Which freeview HD recorder?

Hi,

I'm just about to cut the cord with VM and i'm going Freeview.

I would like at least 2 tuners and 500GB of HDD but the array of different devices is giving me a headache.

Is there a site where i can select what options i want and it'll give me a list of boxes that fit the criteria?

Or does anyone here have any pointers? I've seen a youview box on Amazon for £157 and thats probably around the max figure i'd like to pay.

TIA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Youview-5...pr_product_top
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2014, 13:25   #2
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: Which freeview HD recorder?

It also depends what you want to do. Most PVR's do not have any external connection, so you cannot archive any material recorded. If you do want to archive, go for a combined HDD/DVD recorder like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DM...dp_ob_title_ce
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 16:08   #3
johnathome
cf.geek

johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
It also depends what you want to do. Most PVR's do not have any external connection, so you cannot archive any material recorded. If you do want to archive, go for a combined HDD/DVD recorder like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DM...dp_ob_title_ce
I'm not looking to archive any material, that would be way out of the price range i'd be willing to pay, thanks anyway.
Old 28-10-2014, 19:57   #4
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

You can find Youview boxes insanely cheap on cash conveters etc. - not entirely sure if a TalkTalk box has any locking.

The best EPGs are Youview (for freeview) and Freetime (for freesat) - seamlessly integrating catchup.

As far as another box, Humax are a very highly regarded name - but won't be cheap!
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 15:52   #5
andrewlutonuk
cf.addict

Services: XL TV.Sky Sports/Movies, V6, VM 200MB.VM Fixed Phone
andrewlutonuk will become famous soon enoughandrewlutonuk will become famous soon enoughandrewlutonuk will become famous soon enough

I bought this Panasonic from PC World

plays Blue ray/dvd and has twin tuners

I know it's not in your price range but cheaper then the one mentioned

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...28912-pdt.html

andrewlutonuk
andrewlutonuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 16:42   #6
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlutonuk View Post
I bought this Panasonic from PC World

plays Blue ray/dvd and has twin tuners

I know it's not in your price range but cheaper then the one mentioned

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...28912-pdt.html

andrewlutonuk
Yep. That will be cheaper. It's a discontinued unit now, although there is stock still about. The one I linked is the one that replaces it.
Old 29-10-2014, 21:17   #7
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

We got 2 of these about a year ago for around the £90 mark brand new and they've been excellent. They're discontinued and the price seems to have gone up quite a lot since then but if you can get one cheaper we'd recommend them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Stre.../dp/B003OVECH4
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 22:31   #8
johnathome
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
We got 2 of these about a year ago for around the £90 mark brand new and they've been excellent. They're discontinued and the price seems to have gone up quite a lot since then but if you can get one cheaper we'd recommend them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Stre.../dp/B003OVECH4
They do look pretty good.

Does anyone know if NowTV is available on Youview boxes? I wouldn't mind subscribing to the entertainment pack for Fox and Sky Atlantic.
Old 29-10-2014, 22:50   #9
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

AFAIK only the Sky Movies & Sky Sports month passes are available through NOW TV on youview.
Old 29-10-2014, 23:38   #10
johnathome
cf.geek

Quote:
AFAIK only the Sky Movies & Sky Sports month passes are available through NOW TV on youview.
Bummer, i wanted to do it all through one box
Old 30-10-2014, 18:35   #11
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
1) YouView boxes connected to TalkTalk: Sky Sports day pass, Now TV all-you-can-eat on-demand movies, SkyStore PPV movies.
2) BT YouView and Retail YouView boxes: Now TV all-you-can-eat on-demand movies. No sports. There are also PPV movies in Skystore.
In the future, you should be able to subscribe to live TV on Now TV regardless of your ISP but this functionality is not available yet.
Which ISP is the OP with? If it's EE look out for their free Netgem Freeview HD box.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 19:30   #12
johnathome
cf.geek

[QUOTE=1andrew1;35738200]1) Which ISP is the OP with? QUOTE]

It's VM as mentioned in my post, i'm not going to change BB suppliers.

From looking around i saw that NowTV was available on BTVision but not Youview.

I think i'll go for the box i mentioned in my opening post.

Thanks for the input from everybody though
Old 30-10-2014, 19:56   #13
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post

It's VM as mentioned in my post, i'm not going to change BB suppliers.

From looking around i saw that NowTV was available on BTVision but not Youview.

I think i'll go for the box i mentioned in my opening post.

Thanks for the input from everybody though
Good choice. That's meant to be the best YouView box and that's a great price. And the good news is that you can get Now TV all-you-can-eat movies on it and PPV movies from Sky. It's BT Vision that doesn't offer these.
Old 30-10-2014, 20:24   #14
johnathome
cf.geek

TBH i only wanted NowTV for Atlantic and Fox, not really interested in the movies.
Old 30-10-2014, 21:57   #15
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
TBH i only wanted NowTV for Atlantic and Fox, not really interested in the movies.
That functionality should come in the future.