Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky vs Virgin - Futureproofing..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky vs Virgin - Futureproofing..

Old 16-05-2013, 02:13   #31
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO
Re: Sky vs Virgin - Futureproofing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn012 View Post
I have a good cable install and have never experienced any of these problems.

Didn't you earlier in a post in this very thread kind of say it was wrong to assume everyone with a dish would experience problems in bad weather? So now it's ok to assume everyone on cable will be afflicted by these issues?
Ok you're "one of them" Internet type trolls. I say even a good cable install CAN give problems but you changed that to me saying EVERY CABLE CUSTOMER WILL HAVE ISSUES.

You're not worth bothering with as you will quote out of context an make up complete lies. Enjoy the ignore feature, I know I will.
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2013, 09:59   #32
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

I've had SKY for 5 months now without any signal problems whatsoever. I was previsouly a Virgin customer for about 7 years. During that period I only ever lost my TV signal 2, maybe 3 times but one did last for about 2 days! It wasn't Virgins fault though, British Gas had cut through a cable in the local area.

I would say however that almost on a daily basis I had issues with Virgin when it came to watching catch up or on demand TV. So many times between 10:00pm to 1:00am trying to watch catch up or on demand seemed impossible. I'd say for this reason alone, more people have problems with their TV service with Virgin on a daily basis than do with SKY.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 10:03   #33
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I've had SKY for 5 months now without any signal problems whatsoever. I was previsouly a Virgin customer for about 7 years. During that period I only ever lost my TV signal 2, maybe 3 times but one did last for about 2 days! It wasn't Virgins fault though, British Gas had cut through a cable in the local area.

I would say however that almost on a daily basis I had issues with Virgin when it came to watching catch up or on demand TV. So many times between 10:00pm to 1:00am trying to watch catch up or on demand seemed impossible. I'd say for this reason alone, more people have problems with their TV service with Virgin on a daily basis than do with SKY.
Chad do those new glasses fit you.
Old 16-05-2013, 10:19   #34
nn012
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone.
nn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogof View Post
Ok you're "one of them" Internet type trolls. I say even a good cable install CAN give problems but you changed that to me saying EVERY CABLE CUSTOMER WILL HAVE ISSUES.

You're not worth bothering with as you will quote out of context an make up complete lies. Enjoy the ignore feature, I know I will.
Troll? That's rich coming from you.
As for being on ignore, there's no real no great loss there and I'm sure it's a feature most people have you on here anyway.
nn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 13:45   #35
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Chad do those new glasses fit you.
What, the ones for SKY 3D
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 15:45   #36
weegiegeek
Inactive

weegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to allweegiegeek is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Personally I believe that breakthroughs in the near future will lead to all internet and tv being delivered via the air eventually. Vast IP networks via radiowave or similar that are perfectly reliable in all conditions with mega amounts of bandwidth available. Its more a case of when than if!
Definitely not.

Radiowaves will always have limited bandwidth. That's just a fact of physics. They're prone to interference, which is why neighbouring freeview transmitters are on different frequencies, and your wi-fi performance sucks if your neighbours have networks on the same frequencies.

Radiowaves bounce. They're stopped by buildings, trees and the weather. They require a hell of a lot of power, relatively, to go any distance.

Lastly, radiowaves still need backhaul. Fibre or adsl2+ connections being backhaul from mobile phone towers. It'll all be moving to fibre now, so if there's fibre there anyway, why bother with unreliable wireless?

The future is fibre. It's cheap, it's fairly easy to repair, it's small so you can run multiple strands and have redundancy and true futureproofing, and it can transfer a silly amount of data with low latency.
weegiegeek is offline   Reply With Quote