Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 14-10-2011, 22:09   #46
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

My Mum & Dad don't have a SKY subscription but still have a SKY minidish and SKY+ box, which can still record. The box and dish haven't been hooked up for about 3 years, until I messed about with it the other day.

Out of interest I was planning on recording some of the boxing from Box Nation on their SKY+ box this weekend. Would I be able to, once the recordings have finished, remove the SKY+box from their house and hook it up to my TV to watch the recorded content? I don't have a minidish and just wondered if the SKY+box could be hooked up to my TV via scart to watch the recordings. Does the box need to be attached to a minidish at all times to work?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2011, 22:56   #47
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
My Mum & Dad don't have a SKY subscription but still have a SKY minidish and SKY+ box, which can still record. The box and dish haven't been hooked up for about 3 years, until I messed about with it the other day.

Out of interest I was planning on recording some of the boxing from Box Nation on their SKY+ box this weekend. Would I be able to, once the recordings have finished, remove the SKY+box from their house and hook it up to my TV to watch the recorded content? I don't have a minidish and just wondered if the SKY+box could be hooked up to my TV via scart to watch the recordings. Does the box need to be attached to a minidish at all times to work?
The box won't record , as you need a Sky subscription or you have to pay 10.00 a month to enable the recording feature.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 23:47   #48
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The box won't record , as you need a Sky subscription or you have to pay 10.00 a month to enable the recording feature.
Thanks for the info. A bit harsh from SKY. You've bought the PVR from them and they disable the recording feature it you stop subscribing. I think my Mum paid £150.00 for that box. How can they disable a feature on a product you've purchased? I'm sure it's all tucked away in the T&C's
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 12:09   #49
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks for the info. A bit harsh from SKY. You've bought the PVR from them and they disable the recording feature it you stop subscribing. I think my Mum paid £150.00 for that box. How can they disable a feature on a product you've purchased? I'm sure it's all tucked away in the T&C's
That's why I try to avoid paying for STB's mine was free as was the install.
Old 15-10-2011, 12:13   #50
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I suspect it's not that they disable the box itself, but that they won't supply you the data it needs for the PVR function to work, unless you pay for that data. Still a bit cheeky considering you can get a functioning PVR without subscription on both Freesat and Freeview.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 20:55   #51
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

BSkyB suffers fall in number of new pay-TV subscribers

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...=feeds-newsxml
Old 18-10-2011, 22:10   #52
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I read that in the Mail on Sunday but forgot to post it on here yesterday.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 22:17   #53
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

l think the economic crisis is now really starting to hit peoples disposable income and people in the next year will tighten their belts even more.
Old 18-10-2011, 22:28   #54
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l think the economic crisis is now really starting to hit peoples disposable income and people in the next year will tighten their belts even more.
I fully agree , with the added competition of Youview next year the Pay TV companies are going to have to up their game or run the risk of losing higher numbers of subscribers.
Old 19-10-2011, 15:57   #55
Jameseh

YouView will fall flat on its expensively crafted face. Get a Freeview HD box and a HDMI cable for your laptop, boom, you've got the equivalent of YouView.
Old 19-10-2011, 16:02   #56
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
YouView will fall flat on its expensively crafted face. Get a Freeview HD box and a HDMI cable for your laptop, boom, you've got the equivalent of YouView.
Except you haven't - you've got a STB wired up to a laptop. Not something most people can be bothered to have in their living room. Not something many people would even understand.

Branded consumer electronics works precisely because it saves people from having to know which boxes to buy and how to cable them up.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 19:46   #57
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
I doubt it will fail. In the long run it will just become what freeview/freesat is but with extra features.

I doubt it will impact too much on Sky/VM though. Its great to have an on demand portal. Not so great when no premium providers have anything they want to put on there as they earn a huge amount from Sky/VM whereas in Youview land they have to market to all these consumers themselves.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 19:57   #58
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
I doubt it will fail. In the long run it will just become what freeview/freesat is but with extra features.

I doubt it will impact too much on Sky/VM though. Its great to have an on demand portal. Not so great when no premium providers have anything they want to put on there as they earn a huge amount from Sky/VM whereas in Youview land they have to market to all these consumers themselves.
I agree with you , however the Lovefilm , and possible launch of Netflix in the UK could prove interesting if the inquiry into movies bears fruit allowing both companies to launch subscription movie streaming services on Youview and other connected devices.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Sky Go on Android

http://www.advanced-television.com/i...go-on-android/
Old 20-10-2011, 17:16   #59
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I agree with you , however the Lovefilm , and possible launch of Netflix in the UK could prove interesting if the inquiry into movies bears fruit allowing both companies to launch subscription movie streaming services on Youview and other connected devices.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Sky Go on Android

http://www.advanced-television.com/i...go-on-android/
I'm always sceptical of what Netflix/Lovefilm can actually do.

Its tough to pay big money to beat Sky only then to have to rely on individuals paying bit by bit for the service. And then there is the fact that Sky and VM, Atlantic aside, seems to be having a bit of a love in. First VM sell Sky channels that are Freeview and Sky gets rid of them to weaken Freeview and then lots of movies appear on VM platform for Sky on demand.

For the hardcore tv enthusiast, pay tv is much stronger on both platforms than it was a year ago. Youview has a hell of a job convincing anyone that it can compete with Sky's offering (which has effectively grown by VM's customer base over the last week as Vm subscribers have on demand for premium too).

But I guess only time will tell as Youview probably has a couple of tricks up its sleeve.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 19:17   #60
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
I'm always sceptical of what Netflix/Lovefilm can actually do.

Its tough to pay big money to beat Sky only then to have to rely on individuals paying bit by bit for the service. And then there is the fact that Sky and VM, Atlantic aside, seems to be having a bit of a love in. First VM sell Sky channels that are Freeview and Sky gets rid of them to weaken Freeview and then lots of movies appear on VM platform for Sky on demand.

For the hardcore tv enthusiast, pay tv is much stronger on both platforms than it was a year ago. Youview has a hell of a job convincing anyone that it can compete with Sky's offering (which has effectively grown by VM's customer base over the last week as Vm subscribers have on demand for premium too).

But I guess only time will tell as Youview probably has a couple of tricks up its sleeve.
The problem for Netflix/lovefilm is the current situation being looked into by the competition commission , in the US Netflix has more subscribers than any other Cable/satellite provider.