Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What do i need to set up freesat tv.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

What do i need to set up freesat tv.

Old 02-06-2011, 16:31   #16
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What do i need to set up freesat tv.

Scotmac doesn't need to make a decision, he already has a receiver and wanted to know about the dish.. You're the one who brought into the conversation an alternative receiver..

So stop being childish with this challenge and if you want to talk in an adult manner about the differences between a freesat and FTA boxes and new sat technology then open a new thread as I simple won't bother answering you in this one any more
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2011, 16:54   #17
daycartes
Inactive

daycartes can only hope to improve

As for my posting style I'm not known for flowering my responses.. I spent far too long as a technical problem solver and find that people would rather have the correct answer than a sweet fluttering of my eyelashes whilst pretending to be a dumb blonde who is fascinated by all this techie talk by the men...Like a lot of the techies I used to know you're just not up to it and faced with a real challenge of facts you just buckle at the knees.

Sorry to go on Scotmac but there seems to be a snobbish attitude to the use of Ross satellite systems. If you want a simple solution then Ross is fine. If you want a more complicated system with epg and iplayer functionality then go for what these supposed super techies are suggesting. I know that you have a freesat telly but the cost of the package 'as a whole' is really not that much.
Hope that I have helped and I did only respond to sarcasm rather than initiate it.
daycartes
daycartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 17:12   #18
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Any branded Freesat box - any one of them, from the cheapest to the most expensive - is easier to install than a Ross box. End of. Once you get past the dish installation, which is the same for both, the Freesat box requires no more skill than to know what your home postcode is. It does everything else for you.

Once you have your Freesat box installed, you have a 7-day EPG and, if you bought one of the higher-end ones, you have the iPlayer and other on-demand services in the pipeline.

Once you have your Ross box installed you have a poxy now-and-next EPG and a range of channels from all over Europe and the near east to tune and sort through.

I feel sorry for the victims of your 'problem solving' service if you have a habit of confusing the sort of plug-and-play functionality you get from Freesat with the get-the-manual-out-and-earn-it approach you have to take with non-Freesat boxes such as the Ross.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 18:39   #19
daycartes
Inactive

I do apologise. We are obviously talking about a different system here. My Ross system was definitely plug and play, the only hard thing was to line up the satellite and I would have thought ( and you agree) that was the same for any system unless you have a motorised one.

I feel sorry that you also need to resort to slagging people off instead of being rational. How can you possibly make a value judgement about what I used to do when you have no idea what I did. Classic.

As it stands you still only have the epg and iplayer argument which, whilst valid, is hardly a reason to pay quite more for a freesat system.

My final point is that my system has been rock solid and has never failed despite the weather we had over xmas.
Old 02-06-2011, 19:03   #20
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

@ Chris you forgot to mention the following......red button, multi-screens, interactive, youtube, web browsers, more enhanced PVR, local settings..... and the most important thing for all freesat receivers is a fully supported firmware that will be updated as the systems and features change.. Unlike ross and most other cheap manufacturers who'll expect you to buy a new system

@ everyone else: Weather shouldn't effect a DVB-S system unless the dish is off.

The SPARKLY IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE SPARKLY...
Old 03-06-2011, 00:01   #21
daycartes
Inactive

Well at last you have come up with some advantages. I've been waiting all day though. Lets have a look to see what you came up with:
red button, I've always wanted one of those.
multi-screens, Yeah great i've always wanted to see 4 pictures at once. Is there 4 audio channels as well? (I use 4 as an example of multi)
interactive, yeah OK what can we do with that then?
youtube, computer does that without affecting other peoples enjoyment of the telly,
web browsers, computer does that without affecting other peoples enjoyment of the telly,
more enhanced PVR, OK this is a good advantage.
local settings..... not really sure what you mean by this - care to elucidate?
and the most important thing for all freesat receivers is a fully supported firmware that will be updated as the systems and features change. Good but i've not needed it as the Ross system is ok out of the box.

Oh and I'm rather puzzled why you both are SO angry when someone has an opinion different to yours.

---------- Post added at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was at 22:40 ----------

Oh Kymmy could you explain why this is the case:

@ everyone else: Weather shouldn't effect a DVB-S system unless the dish is off.

I certainly remember from my electronics training that during inclement weather we used to switch from linear polarisation to circular as circular was less affected by raindrops. Now this was a long time ago and things may have changed.

Please try to back up your assertions with some sort of technical know how instead of making blank(et) statements.

Honestly I'm here to learn more Please baffle me with science.
Old 03-06-2011, 00:09   #22
Kymmy
Inactive

If you know so much then you should already know why the Sparkly is dead and hence the reason behind the statement. Unless of course you're franticly googling worthless out of date facts

<< off to bed, will laugh at the dead sparklies in the morning >>
Old 16-06-2011, 13:56   #23
scotmac
Inactive

Services: XL Tv 2 x V6 1 TB TiVo 200 Broadband XL phone
scotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of light

Hi lads sorry my post caused so much bother , would have been on earlier but had to get my appendix removed. Anyway having got a quad LNB I was going to ask about freesat boxes ,but reading Chris and Kymmy`s posts I have sent for the Humax Foxsat 500GB to put in spare room. Thanks again for all your help.
scotmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 14:07   #24
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I know a couple of people with that box ... They are all happy with it. A good choice I think.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote