Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rain = no tv.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Rain = no tv.

Old 02-05-2010, 13:16   #1
Jay6
Inactive

Services: Humax Freesat+ and Sky Digital sub.
Jay6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rain = no tv.

Everytime it rains heavily the reception on my skytv goes awol. Are there any fixes for this? I mean, is the rain affecting the signal getting to the dish, or is it the water on the dish itself that causes this problem? Its so frustrating that a heavy downpour is the time when most people choose to stay in, and invariably decide to watch tv, that the reception is at its most unreliable.
Jay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2010, 13:20   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Rain = no tv.

to be perfectly honest that's one of the reasons i switched to Virgin ,i got fed up with heavy rain ,wind,snow and thunder knocking the signal of .I was told by sky that they can't help what the weather does ,which is true but it wasn't any good for me .So as far as i know no there isn't
Old 02-05-2010, 13:27   #3
Jay6
Inactive

Yeah, sky customer services said pretty much the same thing. They quoted 'acts of god' not being their fault. ...and of course, its not something anyone from sky will tell you before you sign up.. ...do you know though, is it a problem with the signal getting through a rain cloud, or is it the water on the surface of the dish that causes the problem? No real reason for that question really, i'm just curious.
Old 02-05-2010, 13:34   #4
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
Yeah, sky customer services said pretty much the same thing. They quoted 'acts of god' not being their fault. ...and of course, its not something anyone from sky will tell you before you sign up.. ...do you know though, is it a problem with the signal getting through a rain cloud, or is it the water on the surface of the dish that causes the problem? No real reason for that question really, i'm just curious.
i always wondered that myself but heard such an array of different answers i came to conclusion that there must be a number of different reasons from electro magnetic interference during thunder storms to ice on the dish in winter .I do know that putting a plastic bag over the dish does not work as was suggested to me
Old 02-05-2010, 13:50   #5
Jay6
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
i always wondered that myself but heard such an array of different answers i came to conclusion that there must be a number of different reasons from electro magnetic interference during thunder storms to ice on the dish in winter .I do know that putting a plastic bag over the dish does not work as was suggested to me
a plastic bag? Hmmm. Bet that looked stylish. Lol.
oh well, i'll just have to develop a hobby that involves going out in the rain. Water sking or something. Lol.
Old 02-05-2010, 14:05   #6
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

If you're losing signal every time it rains heavily then it suggests your dish is not correctly aligned. A correctly aligned dish should cope with even the heaviest of downpours.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 14:08   #7
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
If you're losing signal every time it rains heavily then it suggests your dish is not correctly aligned. A correctly aligned dish should cope with even the heaviest of downpours.
that may be the case with the op but i had mine re-aligned three times with no improvement
Old 02-05-2010, 14:27   #8
Jay6
Inactive

Quote:
Surely if its raining then an adjustment in the direction that the dish is facing won't matter? I mean, the rain falls in all directions. ...or do you mean something different by 'alignment'?
Old 02-05-2010, 14:29   #9
wearerayner
Inactive

wearerayner is an unknown quantity at this point

Used to have a similar problem with VM, might have been cos someone put a fork through the conduit and cable sheath though? The wife has never lived it down.
wearerayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 14:39   #10
martyh

Quote:
Surely if its raining then an adjustment in the direction that the dish is facing won't matter? I mean, the rain falls in all directions. ...or do you mean something different by 'alignment'?

what can happen is if your dish is slightly out of alignment with the saterlites then bad weather i.e rain can further weaken an already weak signal ,but as i stated earlier it didn't make any difference to me as i had mine re-aligned a few times with no improvement ,unfortunately this has been a problem with sky digital from day one and probably always will be
Old 02-05-2010, 16:02   #11
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
what can happen is if your dish is slightly out of alignment with the saterlites then bad weather i.e rain can further weaken an already weak signal ,but as i stated earlier it didn't make any difference to me as i had mine re-aligned a few times with no improvement ,unfortunately this has been a problem with sky digital from day one and probably always will be
Aye. It's pretty damn common especially when there's a huge amount of Sky installers don't actually set the dish up properly and just look at whatever direction the rest of the Sky dishes on the street are pointing and point it in the same direction (I've seen them turn up at a road with no Sky dishes installed and ask the home owner which way it should be pointed).

I'm assuming you were using a mini-dish? These are notably bad anywhere northern, and a larger dish probably would have solved your issues.

There's really no reason why you shouldn't get a perfect signal in all but the heaviest of storms, especially given the strength of the signal from Astra.
Old 02-05-2010, 16:06   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
The dish has to be pointing precisely at the satellite in order to get the best signal. If it is, then the signal reduction that occurs during bad weather will not affect your viewing pleasure. However if the dish is off by even a modest amount, it will be receiving a reduced signal even in good weather. You probably won't notice that - until it rains, and your already-compromised signal is reduced to almost nothing.

The dish may not have been properly aligned to start with, or it may have shifted if it's particularly exposed to wind, or are there perhaps trees nearby that have grown up and begun to get in the way?

You need the services of a competent, independent aerial installer.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 16:17   #13
TheDon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The dish has to be pointing precisely at the satellite in order to get the best signal.
Indeed. Just to put it into perspective how precise it needs to be, you're trying to find something the size of a caravan that's 22,000 miles away.
Old 02-05-2010, 17:41   #14
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Its either poor alignment or the coax feed has deteriorated (bad connection or possible water ingress). Worth checking both.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 17:46   #15
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Indeed. Just to put it into perspective how precise it needs to be, you're trying to find something the size of a caravan that's 22,000 miles away.
6 or 8 berth?
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote