Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky+ Boxes phased out

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky+ Boxes phased out

Old 03-02-2010, 01:49   #1
zing_deleted

Sky+ Boxes phased out

Instead you just get Sky+HD boxes now at a fraction of the cost

If you just want what was SKY+ you get the box for £49 plus £30 set up, if you take the HD pack the box and set up is free

http://www.sky.com/quickbuy/build

full pricing on hotukdeals

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/59944...es-and-options
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55   #2
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: Sky+ Boxes phased out

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Instead you just get Sky+HD boxes now at a fraction of the cost

If you just want what was SKY+ you get the box for £49 plus £30 set up, if you take the HD pack the box and set up is free

http://www.sky.com/quickbuy/build

full pricing on hotukdeals

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/59944...es-and-options

Wozers! What a turn around!

Total monthly cost £33 With HD.. No movies Mind but, free install and free HD box.. Jasus.. a serious tempt
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:58   #3
zing_deleted

Apparently the newer boxes are coming with a 500 gig hdd and if your loaded and want the deluxe box for 300 notes you get one with 1.5 tb

---------- Post added at 00:58 ---------- Previous post was at 00:57 ----------

The other plus point is if you just have it as a standard box you get freeview HD included ie Channel 4 HD and BBC HD
Old 03-02-2010, 01:59   #4
webcrawler2050
Inactive

webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Apparently the newer boxes are coming with a 500 gig hdd and if your loaded and want the deluxe box for 300 notes you get one with 1.5 tb
Wowzers.. Maybe SKY have pushed the boat out, to beat VM... dang it.. I'm paying nearly £33.00 for my "standard" TV package alone, with VM. Seriously tempted..
Old 03-02-2010, 02:16   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

oooo now that's worth thinking about
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:19   #6
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
oooo now that's worth thinking about

It is indeed, I am seriously considering ditching my VM TV
Old 03-02-2010, 08:07   #7
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

It's getting to the point where my mum (who has been with NTL/VM since they first arrived in Peterborough) is now looking at Sky. When my dad passed away and we called VM to sort out the billing etc they weren't exactly helpful and to be honest she can get what she gets now for about £20 per month less through Sky.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:01   #8
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

I was tempted with Sky, as a couple of guys turned up at my door the night before last and said they can save me money.

So once they went through the figures it would save me about £20 a month, but when I asked them to check what broadband speed I should get he just said upto 20Mbps, I replied what a load of bulls danglies, I live 2.5K's from my local exchange so asked him to check properly.

After a quick phone call he said I could get up to 3.5Mbps down and wait for it 335Kbps up.

To which I replied "pick your coat up on the way out"

The price was tempting though.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if and when the Padgate exchange in Warrington is going ADSL+
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:06   #9
Tightscot
Inactive

Tightscot has reached the bronze age
Tightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze age

I've just registered/ordered a new Sky+HD box - i'm an existing customer so for me it'll cost £60 install, and extra £10 per month for the HD pack.

Box is free, and the install would have been free if i took the multiroom as well for another £10 per month. (but not bothered about multiroom, think i'll flog my original sky box on fleabay )

looking forward to watching 24 in HD on my new Samsung 40" telly woohoo!
Tightscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:11   #10
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

The Sky + Boxes seem to be failing a lot atm. I have a mate who works for Sky support in Scotland and he said a lot have been failing. Since November last year my mum and dad have had 5 boxes as they are having picture breakup and sky are saying its down to the box overheating and not signal issues.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:23   #11
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Weird, I've had my Pace Sky+ for about 2 years or more

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

I'm on the Phone to Sky now, they're giving me a Sky+HD Box for self install as I've already got the relevant connections from my Sky+ box, so that's £30 for the box and no install charge, bargain, should be here next Monday

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

Oh and yes it's the 500gb one
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:26   #12
zing_deleted

n1
Old 03-02-2010, 13:30   #13
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Wow, that's some serious storage, nice 1 Sky.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 13:36   #14
zing_deleted

think its to do with pricing and availability of HDDs now. 35 quid will get you a good 500 gig hdd and 60 quid a 1tb drive. It would most likely cost sky the same to buy a 160 or 320 as to buy the 500 . I will upgrade my box once its out of warranty
Old 03-02-2010, 13:39   #15
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

[/COLOR]I'm on the Phone to Sky now, they're giving me a Sky+HD Box for self install as I've already got the relevant connections from my Sky+ box, so that's £30 for the box and no install charge, bargain, should be here next Monday [COLOR="Silver"]

And who said men cant multitask
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote