Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Sky Appreciation thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Sky Appreciation thread

Old 01-03-2007, 15:36   #31
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
Re: The Sky Appreciation thread

Apparently, Sky's next-gen box is something to behold. Its basically a PC. It will be tied into a user's BB (either with or without Sky), and will stream multiple channels wirelessly to computers around the house, and will allow web-browsing through the PC, amongst all the usual Sky+/HD functionality.

They are looking at streaming HD via ethernet though.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2007, 15:39   #32
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Same with Sky, in fact i've usually got a Scottish lass, which probably means that they cant (India) understand us if Sky do use Indian call centres elsewhere in the UK.

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Apparently, Sky's next-gen box is something to behold. Its basically a PC. It will be tied into a user's BB (either with or without Sky), and will stream multiple channels wirelessly to computers around the house, and will allow web-browsing through the PC, amongst all the usual Sky+/HD functionality.

They are looking at streaming HD via ethernet though.
Sounds like Windows Media Centre to me.

Which incidentally is a bitch to stream anything wirelessly with if you even have remotely thick walls.

That feck for Homeplug and best of luck Sky, thats not something i'd want average Joe engineer taking on, wireless streaming (if its via 802.11g) and not something propriatory could be a bad move.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 16:00   #33
c1rcle
Inactive

c1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
All the times I've called Virgin Media (or previously NTL), I can't say that I've ever been aware of having spoken to an Indian Call Centre (unless they speak with Geordie accents now?)
Actually the last time I spoke to anyone from NTL they had a geordie accent, so does this mean there's no Indian Call centre for VirgiNTL?
c1rcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 16:01   #34
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1rcle View Post
Actually the last time I spoke to anyone from NTL they had a geordie accent, so does this mean there's no Indian Call centre for VirgiNTL?
Either that, or they're all carefully coached in the geordie accent and they've done away with the timelag on the phone call...
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 16:05   #35
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

VM's customer service and faults is still in the UK (however the overflow does go to India). Tech support is in India
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 16:19   #36
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

My Parents have Sky and quite frequently the sound is always cutting out for a second. How irritating, what appreciation should Sky be shown for this?

My brother had Sky installed in his new house a few years ago - all was nice got it installed etc and until several months later it was realised that the Sky installer had drilled straight through a water pipe, the damage was only noticed when there became a 'rising damp' problem all contributed to a hole created by the installers drill! What appreciation should Sky be shown for this?

And finally - Sky is attempting to create a monopoly - what appreciation should Sky be shown for this? Excuse me while I'll go and get a bucket and vomit in it.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 16:30   #37
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
My Parents have Sky and quite frequently the sound is always cutting out for a second. How irritating, what appreciation should Sky be shown for this?
Never had this issue or heard it in any pub with Sky.

Quote:
My brother had Sky installed in his new house a few years ago - all was nice got it installed etc and until several months later it was realised that the Sky installer had drilled straight through a water pipe, the damage was only noticed when there became a 'rising damp' problem all contributed to a hole created by the installers drill! What appreciation should Sky be shown for this?
Squit happens i suppose. It couldnt have been very obvious or visible if neither the Engineer nor your brother even noticed it.

Quote:
And finally - Sky is attempting to create a monopoly - what appreciation should Sky be shown for this? Excuse me while I'll go and get a bucket and vomit in it.
Business is Business.. Why should Sky give its premium content away to a competitor for peanuts. They have their own customer base to look after, BTW - there is another thread for banging on about this.
Old 01-03-2007, 16:41   #38
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1rcle View Post
Telewest had a Northern call centre and Virgin has a Teesside centre (please note its an hour away from Newcastle). Both accents could be alled Northern. (there are plenty of people from Durham and Gateshead that work at the Virgin centre.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja View Post
Never had this issue or heard it in any pub with Sky.
You have been lucky then.

My folks sky box cost him £75 to be repaired just after a year g/tee expired.
Claires folks sky plus box+ shows 'no satellite a few times a week and is very slow.
My new sky box keeps forgetting the guide is there and my new sky bb router gets reset 10 times a day.

Lets not get into the multitude of people I spoke to when I was at ntl when their sky box's where making 100's of false call on their telco lines.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 16:47   #39
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
My folks sky box cost him £75 to be repaired just after a year g/tee expired.
Claires folks sky plus box+ shows 'no satellite a few times a week and is very slow.
My new sky box keeps forgetting the guide is there and my new sky bb router gets reset 10 times a day.

Lets not get into the multitude of people I spoke to when I was at ntl when their sky box's where making 100's of false call on their telco lines.
Im only talking from my personal experience and my friends with Sky havent mentioned any problems either although in fairness i know three people with NTL one's happy another hates the thing and my g/f's one is like wading through mud trying to find something to watch on that EPG and the on demand dosent work. We phoned customer services who said they would send someone out - they didnt.

Incidentally, i have the same router as Sky use IIRC (the Netgear DG834G) and find it to be an excellent router.
Old 01-03-2007, 16:52   #40
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

I moved to Sky + from Telewest and in the 6 months we've had it, my misssus hasntr once complained about the quality , picture freeze etc etc. While we did have Telewest we frequently lost channels and sometimes sound quite often.

My vote goes to Sky simply cause I havent had any grief to put up with from her indoors in the last 6 months. to me thats a quality service!
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 16:53   #41
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Sky's router has a custom firmware in it, I'm thinking it is cutting out due to overheating.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 16:54   #42
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I think it fair to say that both Sky and Virgin have customers that have had good and bad experiences.

I know people who have had Sky, and are very happy with it. I also know people who are having problems (including one friend who was until recently very happy, but is now having trouble as one of his neighbours trees has grown, and is now affecting his sky reception, although that isn't sky's fault).

The same with Cable. Apart from getting a dodgy box (which took several calls to replace) when I first got it, Cable has always been fairly reliable for me. Any problems I have had have always been sorted out quickly. I also know people who have been messed around by NTL.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 16:57   #43
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Business is Business.. Why should Sky give its premium content away to a competitor for peanuts. They have their own customer base to look after, BTW - there is another thread for banging on about this.
Please don't tell where and what to post.

By the way, business may be business but don't start whinging several months/years later if and when Sky achieves its 'monopoly' status, hikes up its prices because its done what it was set out to do in the first place, weaken its competition or eradicate it completely, the lesser the competition = price hikes and I am sure everyone will appreciate that one, not!
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 17:04   #44
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
I think it fair to say that both Sky and Virgin have customers that have had good and bad experiences.

I know people who have had Sky, and are very happy with it. I also know people who are having problems (including one friend who was until recently very happy, but is now having trouble as one of his neighbours trees has grown, and is now affecting his sky reception, although that isn't sky's fault).

The same with Cable. Apart from getting a dodgy box (which took several calls to replace) when I first got it, Cable has always been fairly reliable for me. Any problems I have had have always been sorted out quickly. I also know people who have been messed around by NTL.
True, but to be honest, i do believe that PQ is better with Sky too, but that could just be on a per case scenario and to do with quality of cabling, dish alignment etc.

Im just dying to jump into the other threads and post:-

LOST, on Virgin Media - all your channels...

(joke)

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Please don't tell where and what to post.

By the way, business may be business but don't start whinging several months/years later if and when Sky achieves its 'monopoly' status, hikes up its prices because its done what it was set out to do in the first place, weaken its competition or eradicate it completely, the lesser the competition = price hikes and I am sure everyone will appreciate that one, not!
I didn't tell you where and what to post, i simply mentioned there was another thread to discuss that specific topic that you brought up as I wanted to keep this as a Sky appreciation thread and not a discussion about the rights or wrongs of the decision.
Old 01-03-2007, 18:21   #45
Downloads
Inactive

Downloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Downloads Send a message via MSN to Downloads

Quote:
I didn't tell you where and what to post, i simply mentioned there was another thread to discuss that specific topic that you brought up as I wanted to keep this as a Sky appreciation thread and not a discussion about the rights or wrongs of the decision.
lol What did you expect when you recommended people switch to Sky!

I can see a Virgin appreciation thread being started now. Some people might say there are already a couple heh
Downloads is offline   Reply With Quote