Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky's (push-)VOD service - Sky Anytime on TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky's (push-)VOD service - Sky Anytime on TV

Old 01-02-2007, 21:17   #16
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Here is info and pic's of sky's vod service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Could you briefly explain them for me?
From memory V1 was made by Pace and had a 40GB Drive. V2 was made by Amstrad and again had a 40GB drive.

V3 was back to Pace and had a larger hard drive with a hidden part for 'future' use.

This is all from memory and may be wildly wrong. Basically the 1st and 2nd Gen boxes cannot use the new thing and the others can.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2007, 21:21   #17
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Cheers Derek!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:00   #18
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post
From memory V1 was made by Pace and had a 40GB Drive. V2 was made by Amstrad and again had a 40GB drive.

V3 was back to Pace and had a larger hard drive with a hidden part for 'future' use.

This is all from memory and may be wildly wrong. Basically the 1st and 2nd Gen boxes cannot use the new thing and the others can.
That's my understanding too. There was also a Sky+160 box, which was (much) more expensive, which I would assume is not included in the pseudo-VOD service.

According to reports, about half the Sky+ boxes are going to get this upgrade - so perhaps this is why there are rumours that the Sky+ charge is going to be dropped - I mean, if I had a V2 box (thankfully I have a V3 one) I wouldn't be very happy about coughing up the same tenner each month for features I couldn't access.

I am purely doodling in the wind here, but I have a feeling that if the rumours about the Sky+ service for free are true, then the 'VOD' element might be chargeable. Just a hunch, no basis for my musings.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 19:07   #19
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post

Pace started making the V2 boxes, but Amstrad joined them as well.

The PVR3 was introduced with Pace, but has since seen Thomson and Amstrad models.

Thomson's Sky+ 160 box will not support this as all of the space is given to the user of the box.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 19:45   #20
bluecandylover

Services: Virgin Media VIVID 200, XL TV, TiVo 1Tb, Sky+HD 2Tb, Box Set Bundle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif View Post
Using 80gb is pretty hard work, you must never leave the telly if you needed the full 160gb.
It's EXTREAMLY easy to use the full 160Gb, I have used it all on V+HD it's films, music and shows I want to treasure.

I think there should be an option if you want the extra space or not!
Old 04-03-2007, 20:17   #21
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Just out of interest, how long do the programmes stay on the drive - I notice from the screen shots that there was an "available until" date?
Secondly, is there any charge for the service? (Downloading and viewing), and I guess it's only available Sky + and Sky HD users with newer STBs, so i guess there will be a cost to upgrade for standard users and older boxes?
Lastly, how many programmes could be held in the 80Gb mentioned?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:10   #22
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation
skys new vod service??

http://www.theinquirer.net:80/defaul...?article=37397
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:15   #23
zing_deleted

Re: skys new vod service??

Looks pretty crap if you ask me
Old 11-03-2007, 11:17   #24
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Agree with Zing...
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 14:53   #25
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

Well I knew Sky's Sky+ software hid some of the hard disk space and Sky said they were gonna use it for something and now I know what for, but us, the viewers can't choose what programmes are gonna be shown on my Sky+ box is annoying.
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 17:14   #26
bluecandylover

I think you should be able to disable this SO that you can use the extra space if you want to.
Old 11-03-2007, 17:20   #27
bluecandylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Just out of interest, how long do the programmes stay on the drive - I notice from the screen shots that there was an "available until" date?
Secondly, is there any charge for the service? (Downloading and viewing), and I guess it's only available Sky + and Sky HD users with newer STBs, so i guess there will be a cost to upgrade for standard users and older boxes?
Lastly, how many programmes could be held in the 80Gb mentioned?
I'm hoping that it is'nt gonna be just SKY programs... EastEnders and co would be good on it
Old 12-03-2007, 10:13   #28
themelon
Inactive

themelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to behold
Re: [Merged] Sky's (push-)VOD service

This can not be marketed as Video on Demand because it is absolutely not that.

It is what its says on the tin, Sky downloading rubbish that they think you want to watch, their own 'fantastic content' and 'great tv' which the have spent (wasted) millions on. Regardless of whether you want to watch it or not. Sky+ on its own with no reserved space would be a better choice for the consumer.

I agree it looks aboslutely crap and has to be a pathetic attempt at a stop gap measure which Sky will market as fantastic Video on Demand where you can watch Lost as many times as you want......guess it will suit some. The only way Sky will offer true VOD, is a satellite/IPTV hybrid box. Judging by the trouble BT have with IPTV, I can not imagine this being a countrywide service in the next 5 years, Tiscalli aim to offer to around 5 major cities by year end (if they are lucky!).
themelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:24   #29
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by themelon View Post
This can not be marketed as Video on Demand because it is absolutely not that.

It is what its says on the tin, Sky downloading rubbish that they think you want to watch, their own 'fantastic content' and 'great tv' which the have spent (wasted) millions on. Regardless of whether you want to watch it or not. Sky+ on its own with no reserved space would be a better choice for the consumer.

I agree it looks aboslutely crap and has to be a pathetic attempt at a stop gap measure which Sky will market as fantastic Video on Demand where you can watch Lost as many times as you want......guess it will suit some. The only way Sky will offer true VOD, is a satellite/IPTV hybrid box. Judging by the trouble BT have with IPTV, I can not imagine this being a countrywide service in the next 5 years, Tiscalli aim to offer to around 5 major cities by year end (if they are lucky!).
Hmm - more excuses for repeats, re-runs and more chances to see....
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 13:05   #30
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Sky HDTV version 2 box is already planned (the reason why ive not spent £300 for a box thats already out of date on release) with a fully working Ethernet port but like you say it will use Your internet to try and stream the Vod,
fat load of good if your only on 4Meg and have a Cable or BT phone line that sky dont ever plan suppling broadband on.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote