Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky's (push-)VOD service - Sky Anytime on TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky's (push-)VOD service - Sky Anytime on TV

Old 01-02-2007, 00:56   #1
RS100
Inactive

Services: SLOW Virgin 20mb BB, Virgin telephone, V+HD, Sky HD,
RS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of light
Sky's (push-)VOD service - Sky Anytime on TV

Here is info and pic's of sky's vod service

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitalt...v-preview.html

what do you guys think about it,
RS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2007, 01:02   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Here is info and pic's of sky's vod service

Dunno if I would really called it VOD though. Having your box download it overnight and store it on the stb HDD. Having Sky choose what they download to the spare partition of 80GB isn't really comparable to the amount of content NTL has available. Also only 80GB there won't really be a lot there will there?

Not quite the same as The Virgin media VOD is it.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:20   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Moved to the Sky+/HD forum...

Hmmm. Nice idea, but I think I'd rather have the V/ntl/TW pull-VOD than Sky's push-VOD.

[Although I can't get either ]
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:09   #4
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

Hmm... potentially 35 hours of content, compared to potentially unlimited hours of content.

I know which I prefer.
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:22   #5
RS100
Inactive

Services: SLOW Virgin 20mb BB, Virgin telephone, V+HD, Sky HD,
RS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of lightRS100 is a glorious beacon of light

I Know it ain't real vod just wanted to know what you guys think about it
RS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:47   #6
monkey2468
Inactive

Services: 1tb tivo, vhd, 60meg shub2 cablemodem, 1Xphoneline, Virgin mobile contract p
monkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quads

If I had Sky+, I would rather have the extra 80 gig of space to use.
monkey2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:51   #7
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Using 80gb is pretty hard work, you must never leave the telly if you needed the full 160gb.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:16   #8
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif View Post
Using 80gb is pretty hard work, you must never leave the telly if you needed the full 160gb.
Not if your other half is i nto big bother you don't!!!

It looks ok - but as others say it's going to be limited, and I'd rather have the sapce to fill with what I want not what they want.

As for vod better than ntl - well ever since my tv drive was fitted neiter of my boxes actually allow me to watch vod not the samsung or the tvdrive itself.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:58   #9
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

But then you should have bought the Sky+160 if you needed the extra space. If you bought the standard version you only bought 80gb of space...so the extra stuff is a bonus.
Old 01-02-2007, 15:42   #10
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

And if you were one of the original people who bought it (or even one of the ones that got the V2 Sky+ box) you get left out in the cold with no Vod/near-Vod.

No doubt Sky will have an incentive for you to upgrade (i.e. Pay full price for the box or nothing at all judging from past efforts)
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 18:05   #11
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

So is this service only available to those people with Sky+ 160GB or a Sky HD box?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 19:58   #12
andygrif
Inactive

No it's for people with V3 boxes, the 80gb ones, but they were fitted with an extra 80gb for 'future use'
Old 01-02-2007, 20:02   #13
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

would it be cynical of me to predict that Sky's service will have Sky content that they will never let Virgin get their hands on, and Virgins will have Flextech content that they won't let Sky get their hands on....
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 20:32   #14
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

....possibly. Lots of wild speculation in another thread that Sky will ditch its channels from cable. I think this is highly unlikely, think of all the complaints from 24 viewers for a start...What is more likely is that Sky may withhold its HD content from cable for another year or so. HD is a money spinner for Sky and exclusive to them, so why would Sky give this advantage up to cable? That said, "cable" is the largest supplier of digital channels to Sky, if you include UKTV too. So both sides have a bargaining chip. I'm pretty sure a deal with be done between the sides.

The fight between Sky and cable will be over price and what you get for your money. Cable has VOD as its advantage and especially fast broadband. Sky will always have the advantage of having more channels. Sky, also has been an innovator in new technology, ie Sky+. So, if they released, as speculated elsewhere, a multi-tuner Sky+ with 5/6/7/8 tuners. I doubt cable could compete with that in the near term. So customers have a genuine choice between fast reliable broadband and vod, or billions of channels and a possible souped-up Sky+. The choice is ours
Old 01-02-2007, 21:09   #15
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif View Post
No it's for people with V3 boxes, the 80gb ones, but they were fitted with an extra 80gb for 'future use'
As I have never had Sky I don't know the difference between these versions lol!

Could you briefly explain them for me?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote