Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recordings disappearing.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Recordings disappearing.

Old 27-11-2017, 22:00   #1
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Recordings disappearing.

Anyone tell me a possible explanation as to why some of my recordings disappear for no apparent reason? It happens quite a lot and I've checked to see if they're in the deleted section but they're not .I did think the disc may be full but then wouldn't older recordings be deleted first?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2017, 22:22   #2
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Recordings disappearing.

Try checking your disk space , go into Recordings then scroll down to disk space.

What is your standby mode set to ? You can check this by going to Settings then Setup followed by Preferences. I would recommend setting this to Eco.

It's always worth a reboot if you haven't done so for a while.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 01:55   #3
Nsewell
Inactive

Nsewell is an unknown quantity at this point

PPV Recordings and OnDemand content can have deletion dates attached to them due to licensing/contractual reasons, however this should not affect recordings from normal linear channels. By default if the planner is nearly full the box will start deleting existing recordings to make room for new ones, however it should start with the oldest viewed recording which does not have keep set.
Nsewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 09:48   #4
telegramsam
telegramsam

telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Try checking your disk space , go into Recordings then scroll down to disk space.
I checked disk space and it is almost full but I still thought older recordings would be deleted first!
What is your standby mode set to ? You can check this by going to Settings then Setup followed by Preferences. I would recommend setting this to Eco.

It's always worth a reboot if you haven't done so for a while.
Old 30-11-2017, 17:59   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsewell View Post
PPV Recordings and OnDemand content can have deletion dates attached to them due to licensing/contractual reasons, however this should not affect recordings from normal linear channels. By default if the planner is nearly full the box will start deleting existing recordings to make room for new ones, however it should start with the oldest viewed recording which does not have keep set.
I'm not so sure. I believe that broadcasters are able to delete programmes from your recordings. Sky do it routinely when you withdraw your subscription to their channels.

I had 'Cilla' on my recordings from ITV a few years ago and the series of 3 suddenly disappeared without trace.

I eventually managed to see it on ITV Encore, but I was rather annoyed at the time.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:45   #6
Nsewell
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm not so sure. I believe that broadcasters are able to delete programmes from your recordings. Sky do it routinely when you withdraw your subscription to their channels.

I had 'Cilla' on my recordings from ITV a few years ago and the series of 3 suddenly disappeared without trace.

I eventually managed to see it on ITV Encore, but I was rather annoyed at the time.
As far as I'm aware broadcasters don't have the ability to delete existing recordings from the box, although it would be an interesting one to query. They can however prevent something from being recorded in the first place.

Sky certainly don't delete existing recordings when you downgrade or cancel a subscription. They remain in the planner until deleted by the user or by the normal disk management if the space is low.

You can even record something from a channel you don't subscribe to, then upgrade your subscription at a later date and play it back.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:30   #7
telegramsam
telegramsam

Quote:
As far as I'm aware broadcasters don't have the ability to delete existing recordings from the box, although it would be an interesting one to query. They can however prevent something from being recorded in the first place.

Sky certainly don't delete existing recordings when you downgrade or cancel a subscription. They remain in the planner until deleted by the user or by the normal disk management if the space is low.

You can even record something from a channel you don't subscribe to, then upgrade your subscription at a later date and play it back.
From memory I believe a recording isn't deleted if you stop subbing to a particular channel but you can't watch the recordings until you sub again.
Old 06-12-2017, 00:00   #8
Nsewell
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
From memory I believe a recording isn't deleted if you stop subbing to a particular channel but you can't watch the recordings until you sub again.
That's correct yes, you must have the correct entitlements at the point of selecting the recording to playback in order to watch it.
Old 07-12-2017, 19:55   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I really don't think that's right. People have complained before that when they have ceased to subscribe to Sky Movies (as it was then) all their films recorded from those channels have disappeared.

If you think about it, that make sense. Otherwise, you could subscribe for a month, record loads of films, and then view them at your leisure throughout the year.
Old 11-12-2017, 22:01   #10
Nsewell
Inactive

Quote:
I really don't think that's right. People have complained before that when they have ceased to subscribe to Sky Movies (as it was then) all their films recorded from those channels have disappeared.

If you think about it, that make sense. Otherwise, you could subscribe for a month, record loads of films, and then view them at your leisure throughout the year.
Existing recordings should not be deleted when you downgrade, however you will not be able to watch them as you will see a press red to upgrade message when you try to play them back.

The oposite of what you said is actually true. You could record several movies thought the year from Cinema channels while not having a Cinema subscription. Then subscribe to Sky Cinema over the christmas period and watch all those recordings.
Old 13-12-2017, 08:43   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Existing recordings should not be deleted when you downgrade, however you will not be able to watch them as you will see a press red to upgrade message when you try to play them back.

The oposite of what you said is actually true. You could record several movies thought the year from Cinema channels while not having a Cinema subscription. Then subscribe to Sky Cinema over the christmas period and watch all those recordings.
Has anyone tried doing this? It's news to me!

Maybe this works differently on Virgin Media.
Old 13-12-2017, 09:10   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Has anyone tried doing this? It's news to me!

Maybe this works differently on Virgin Media.
It does work differently.

Sky boxes record the encrypted stream directly off the satellite, then descramble it when you play the recording back. So you don't need the channel entitlement to record, but you do to play back.

On VM boxes, the stream is descrambled at the time of recording. So you do need entitlement to record, but not, in general, to play back. The exception is the Sky-owned channels, where the channel entitlement is also checked on playback. This is a contractual requirement from Sky.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 12:11   #13
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It does work differently.

Sky boxes record the encrypted stream directly off the satellite, then descramble it when you play the recording back. So you don't need the channel entitlement to record, but you do to play back.

On VM boxes, the stream is descrambled at the time of recording. So you do need entitlement to record, but not, in general, to play back. The exception is the Sky-owned channels, where the channel entitlement is also checked on playback. This is a contractual requirement from Sky.
Thank you, spiderplant; at least I know I'm not going mad quite yet!
Old 30-05-2018, 17:54   #14
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Okay so this is one of main reasons (last year) I wanted to join (aside from Paul being the main reason of course) but this has happened once for me lately and it irks me (well, hubby a bit more than me).

The way I noticed was because I can count how many recordings before I move onto the next page on my planner and they were all fitting on the one page - all of the bars on that page (so like 8 I think) and one of them had loads (as it was a series - Neighbours). Then all of a sudden there was one empty slot on the page...something went missing. Annoyed the crap out of him and I was just kind of curious.

Now, going through the options above I'll reply one at a time as there are loads of different scenarios.

One slightly adding factor that does not complicate the issue is that the recording was off a network now discontinued off UK air (fox news) but the current box recordings I have of all the FNC stuff (specials etc) are all there and we are watching them out and deleting them.

I do not know what the rules are on thread bumping but this isn't just a useless necro ; does anyone know if there was ever a reason for the deletions figured out?

I'll post some screen caps later if it helps any and answer a few of the questions from above but like telegramsam it has happened to me before but I am just not sure how often over the years (this was on the 1.5 TB box which I have had for maybe 6 to 7 years now).

Not a massive thing entirely, just a nuisance and I wish I could get to the bottom of it to prevent it happening again / watch out stuff quicker etc. Oddly enough every time we had an engineer (like 3 times to move etc) they have always said "watch out stuff before your box goes" but that is more in reference to the old silver / SD boxes not lasting all that long.
Chloé Palmas is offline   Reply With Quote