Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Speculation] Would Sky buy CityFibre / Hyperoptic / Gigaclear?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

[Speculation] Would Sky buy CityFibre / Hyperoptic / Gigaclear?

Old 26-04-2017, 00:38   #1
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
[Speculation] Would Sky buy CityFibre / Hyperoptic / Gigaclear?

Since fibre/cable has a far greater point to point bandwidth than satellite, and since Sky are launching their dish-free TV system in 2018 here, already having done so recently in Italy where they have paired up with a national fibre telecoms company, I wonder whether it would make sense for Sky migrate to additionally providing services to the home via a fixed fibre network of their own in the UK, offering a full quad-play ultrafast service with IPTV and OTT on-demand available in connected areas. It's natural that they're going to want to be able to provide quad-play services and more on-demand content in the future, not limiting themselves to just a huge fat-pipe of tv channels over satellite - especially since that medium becomes less and less how people spend their time.

In terms of who they'd go for, as far as I know, CityFibre are involved in a lot more than just home and business connections - since they provide peering and datacentre connections into various cities and towns, so maybe they're not the ones to go for - but possibly Hyperoptic or Gigaclear, being access networks, would lend themselves to being in a good position for interest from Sky.

This is just speculation on my part. What do you think?
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2017, 10:47   #2
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: [speculation] Would Sky buy CityFibre / Hyperoptic / Gigaclear?

Me thinks that if Sky did go fibre there would be even more pressure on a split of Sky content and Sky delivery. And once split could Sky content differentiate pricing between Sky delivery and non-Sky delivery? And if not then what advantage Sky fibre delivery over other fibre delivery?
Old 26-04-2017, 23:36   #3
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Good point - although they already have different packages now with regard to NowTV pricing - so I can see them offering different pricing for different delivery methods in the same way.

If you were to take a 950Mb fibre connection, plus SkyQ, there would probably be some form of package bundle that would be priced differently than say, "Sky Fibre VDSL2" with 10 - 17Mb/s.

As to how it would affect wholesale pricing for channel redistribution, who knows, but I can imagine them wanting to own a piece of the consumer fixed data pie since they already do mobile and TV. Maybe if they're happy being a MVNO, they're happy either doing the same thing with fixed lines too, or just delivering TV as an OTT style service.

I would imagine they'll be using the ethernet port on the existing SkyQ box for this service, plus a software upgrade.
Old 29-04-2017, 16:54   #4
Onramp
Inactive

"CityFibre keen to explore all expansion options - including its sale"

https://www.ft.com/content/baf5cfe8-...d-df09f373be87