Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Could someone explain to me exactly what Sky Q is?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Could someone explain to me exactly what Sky Q is?

Old 05-10-2016, 12:37   #1
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Could someone explain to me exactly what Sky Q is?

I know it's 4K and a redesigned interface but when it comes to 'multi-screen' and the use of it on tablets/phones I don't understand it all. I don't understand how it differs from normal Sky with Sky Go. I guess my questions boil down to:
  • Can I get shows on my tablet or phone WITHOUT Multiscreen?
  • If I get multiscreen with the additional box can I watch, in real time, different channels to that of the main box?
  • Otherwise what else can I do with that other box? Is it just to display recorded programs?
  • Is there an Xbox client as there is with Sky go?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2016, 16:57   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Could someone explain to me exactly what Sky Q is?

As best I can figure out (from not having it) is that its basically just multiscreen, but done via WiFi.

Its got bells & whistles like 4K, and more tuners, but that basically seems to be what it is.

It also seems like the 'remote' boxes are just dumb receivers, using up one of the tuners on the main box if you want to watch a different channel (I saw a limit of 2 mentioned, not entirely sure what that refers too).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 17:19   #3
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I've just had a look at the new Q packages and it appears you need multiscreen to view using the Sky Q apps on tablet , I'd certainly check that first though.

Multiscreen allows you to view live TV , recordings and On Demand off your main Q box. Worth mentioning the Sky Q Minis (Multiscreen boxes) do not have a hard drive everything is recorded on your main Q box. You can watch different channels to your main box you can also use search and the guide etc to set recordings and download On Demand on your main Q box.

There is no Q app for Xbox yet and I'm not sure if it's planned.

On tablet you can watch live TV and recordings off your Q box at home.

Sky Q comes in a 1TB which will record 3 whilst you watch a fourth or a 2TB which will record 4 whilst you watch a fifth. The boxes have more tuners as these are used to deliver the live TV to your multiscreen box and the Q app on tablet.

I'm pretty sure Sky Go (2 devices) is included with all Sky packages , Sky Go Extra which offers 4 devices , downloads and games consoles is included in multiscreen or at least it was when I took it.

Last edited by muppetman11; 05-10-2016 at 17:41.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 17:43   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Glad I am not the only one for whom it's not immediately clear!

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Also does Sky On Demand have adverts?

Could I have a multiscreen and watch a TV show on demand without ads?
Old 05-10-2016, 17:49   #5
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

It seems you need Sky Q 2TB for 4K as well.
Old 05-10-2016, 17:49   #6
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Basically the Sky Q 2TB has 12 tuners which are used for sending to minis , tablets , recording on main box , live TV on main box , PIP plus I believe one is for future expansion. I belive the Sky Q 1TB only has 8 tuners.

Most of the On Demand I've watched doesn't have ads however there is some , with multiscreen if you browsed catch up on your multiscreen mini and found something you wanted to watch it's as easy as selecting download and within seconds the show/movie becomes available to start (dependant on BB speed.)

Yes 2TB for 4K
Old 05-10-2016, 19:53   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

So I have Q 2TB and 1x Mini.

You can record up to 4 shows at once and watch a 5th I think and all recordings are stored on the 2TB box.

Anything you part watch can be resumed on the mini or vice versa.

Using the Q app on a tablet on WiFi at home you can watch any recordings you have made, download them to the tablet for watching elsewhere. Or out side the home you can watch live TV on some channels and also Sky On Demand.

You do need multi screen to watch on tablets.

Its fast and fluid. I love it. Also with Sky broadband as well the boxes all act as WiFi boosters and have built in powerline.
Old 05-10-2016, 20:03   #8
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

You can also continue where you left on your tablet through the Sky Q app.
Old 05-10-2016, 20:54   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I forgot to mention that.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:33   #10
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So I have Q 2TB and 1x Mini.

You can record up to 4 shows at once and watch a 5th I think and all recordings are stored on the 2TB box.

Anything you part watch can be resumed on the mini or vice versa.

Using the Q app on a tablet on WiFi at home you can watch any recordings you have made, download them to the tablet for watching elsewhere. Or out side the home you can watch live TV on some channels and also Sky On Demand.

You do need multi screen to watch on tablets.

Its fast and fluid. I love it. Also with Sky broadband as well the boxes all act as WiFi boosters and have built in powerline.
Thanks! Can I use the multiscreen to watch Sky on Demand content? Does Sky on Demand have ads in the middle of the program?

Also for the tablet thing. I know download for offline is limited to 2? tablets but what about general viewing? If you're connected to the wi-fi can it work for streaming acorss more than that.

Cheers!
Old 06-10-2016, 11:49   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Yes you can. That is what the multiscreen on Q is for really.

no it is limited to two tablets at once as it utilises one of the tuners for each tablet.

From all the Sky Boxsets and On Demand I have watched/downloaded there are no adverts. Also once you download a recording to your tablet and start watching the expiry changes from 28 days to 24 hours I think it is.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:14   #12
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yes you can. That is what the multiscreen on Q is for really.

no it is limited to two tablets at once as it utilises one of the tuners for each tablet.

From all the Sky Boxsets and On Demand I have watched/downloaded there are no adverts. Also once you download a recording to your tablet and start watching the expiry changes from 28 days to 24 hours I think it is.
Cool. Do you have to register the tablets ala Sky Go or will many work as long as no more than 2 are running concurrently?
Old 06-10-2016, 13:25   #13
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Cool. Do you have to register the tablets ala Sky Go or will many work as long as no more than 2 are running concurrently?
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/ma...-the-sky-q-app