Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Media Player?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Media Player?

Old 09-02-2012, 14:07   #1
nick_f
Inactive

nick_f is an unknown quantity at this point
Media Player?

Hi all im after some advice, i travel away with work alot to Saudi Arabia and before i go i usally download avi's etc before i go as the hotel Tv service is shocking,
Im after a small unit that i can transfer files on to play through tv HDMI port?

Will this work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sumvision-...item3a6ebb8318

many thanks
nick_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2012, 15:39   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Media Player?

Do you not have a laptop?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:44   #3
nick_f
Inactive

yeah but i like to use my laptop for work and games while films etc are playing
Old 10-02-2012, 14:14   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Laptops can do more than one thing at a time these days...
Old 12-02-2012, 13:11   #5
nick_f
Inactive

not while using an hdmi output genius
Old 12-02-2012, 13:25   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Laptops can do more than one thing at a time these days...
Depends how much CPU power the applications need. It's not always practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_f View Post
Hi all im after some advice, i travel away with work alot to Saudi Arabia and before i go i usally download avi's etc before i go as the hotel Tv service is shocking,
Im after a small unit that i can transfer files on to play through tv HDMI port?

Will this work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sumvision-...item3a6ebb8318

many thanks
Should do fine. You need to think about storage though.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 16:51   #7
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

it may be worth thinking about the newer 2, or 2+ version, or version 3

http://www.ebuyer.com/342378-sumvisi...-cyclonemicro3

plays mkv as well. I've got the Ion Vortexplus which is more or les the same as the Cyclone2

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...rlrefer=search

and is great at playing xvid, divx etc off usb stick or sdhc card
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 18:37   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes while using HDMI output genius.

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Depends how much CPU power the applications need. It's not always practical.
Admittedly true, but it's generally fine in the vast majority of cases since almost all laptops with HDMI outputs also have hardware acceleration for video decoding, putting CPU use for the video playback bit at 5% or less.
Old 12-02-2012, 19:33   #9
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
if you're using the HDMI output for an external monitor/screen, why not just dual screen the laptop it have the video on one and your app on the other? what spec is the laptop? save yourself some cash.
Old 12-02-2012, 19:48   #10
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
if you're using the HDMI output for an external monitor/screen, why not just dual screen the laptop it have the video on one and your app on the other? what spec is the laptop? save yourself some cash.
Is it worth it for £20 and the cost of a memory card? Especially when you bear in mind that some games don't run well with something else using the second monitor.
Old 12-02-2012, 20:07   #11
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I didn't "need" my media player, I could hook up the laptop to the tv each time I want to watch a media file my tv/blu ray player doesn't support, but it's so much easier to just copy the files to usb stick/memory card, put in media player.

Also, those media players do an excellent job of playing media files larger than 2gb with no problem.
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 20:18   #12
Stuart
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
I didn't "need" my media player, I could hook up the laptop to the tv each time I want to watch a media file my tv/blu ray player doesn't support, but it's so much easier to just copy the files to usb stick/memory card, put in media player.

Also, those media players do an excellent job of playing media files larger than 2gb with no problem.
I'm was in almost the same position. I had a load of media files that I wanted to play on my TV. I have a Macbook that was (and is) perfectly capable of playing them through the DVI connector on the TV, but I still got an external media player because it frees up the laptop to do whatver I want while the movie is playing.

Not to mention the fact that if I just want to watch a quick video, I can do it in a few clicks on a remote control, where as with the Macbook (and any PC), I would have needed to start the computer up, start the program then go hunting through the media files.
Old 12-02-2012, 20:27   #13
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Is it worth it for £20 and the cost of a memory card? Especially when you bear in mind that some games don't run well with something else using the second monitor.
the thing is, for £20, i would personally be really dubious about the quality. might be worth putting a bit more money into it, perhaps? as for the games not liking a second monitor running, it's never been an issue I've come across in 10 years of running dual screens when gaming, so it's not an issue I'm aware of.
Old 12-02-2012, 20:43   #14
Stuart
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
the thing is, for £20, i would personally be really dubious about the quality. might be worth putting a bit more money into it, perhaps? as for the games not liking a second monitor running, it's never been an issue I've come across in 10 years of running dual screens when gaming, so it's not an issue I'm aware of.
Well, I do have this player's big brother, and while the video quality is never going to win any awards, and neither is the user interface, it's certainly watchable, as good as the video quality from any laptop I have seen, and a lot more convenient.
Old 12-02-2012, 20:43   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that if I just want to watch a quick video, I can do it in a few clicks on a remote control, where as with the Macbook (and any PC), I would have needed to start the computer up, start the program then go hunting through the media files.
Yeah, but the OP is talking about travelling (with his laptop) to various places including hotels and hooking it up to their TVs. At which point connecting a laptop is no harder than connecting a laptop and a media player (easier some might argue) and he won't have to copy stuff off the laptop to the media player as well. I see no point in carrying around two devices when one does the job, especially if one has to travel light.

In your own living room where the weight doesn't matter and it's plugged in once and left indefinitely, it's a different matter.