Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freesat sales top 2 million

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freesat sales top 2 million

Old 07-09-2011, 18:09   #16
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star
Re: Freesat sales top 2 million

You seem to be quite clever, I still have virgin tv in one room, because I was still with them for broadband & phone, although it is only a medium package it came in for free. It is good as a stand by, I miss catch up, but I just watch it on the net.
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2011, 18:16   #17
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I don't know about clever ... ... I just like tinkering, egged on by certain other posters on here, especially the ones with an interest in satellite dishes.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

Incidentally, Freesat's 2 million units amount to fewer than 400,000 SD boxes and more than 1.6 million HD boxes, PVRs and integrated TVs.

Its success seems to be driven partly by people cutting back spending on Sky subscriptions (Freesat claims that 47% of its sales this year have been to ex-Sky households), and partly by recognition that Freesat is a better platform for HD than Freeview. Someone needs to point this out to the idiots at ITV that still have their channels 2/3/4-HD locked behind Sky's subscription wall.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 18:39   #18
nashville
nashville

nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I don,y know much about sky. I just cut down from virgin as my bill was getting to much each month. But I have no complaints about them,
Old 07-09-2011, 18:43   #19
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
<snip>

Its success seems to be driven partly by people cutting back spending on Sky subscriptions (Freesat claims that 47% of its sales this year have been to ex-Sky households)<snip>
I had NTL/Telewest before moving out of a cabled area about 3-4 years ago. I decided to get Freeview and spend the money saved on a PVR. I don't think I'll ever go back to pay TV. I've never missed the couple of channels that VM offer that aren't on Freeview, and I'm not sufficiently interested in Football to justify a sky subscription. I do occasionally watch PPV Champion's league matches online, but generally speaking, I'm still wondering why I was paying VM for a TV package at all...
Old 07-09-2011, 18:58   #20
nashville
nashville

You are right there, I feel I have saved a lot of money each month, My husband is not into football too much, if it is a big game on sky, he just goes to the local pub, or he watches in on the net,
Old 27-09-2011, 16:59   #21
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

I also have Freesat hd pvr and like others wondering why ITV2,3,and 4 hd channels aren`t on here yet. Mind you I`m still waiting to get the ITV player on my Goodmans box! The message I keep getting on the screen is it`s coming soon. Well so is the second coming but I`d rather not wait that long for the ITV player! Incidently anyone know when the new satalite platform is launching? It`l certainly be interesting to see if it does well.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 17:15   #22
nashville
nashville

I think ITV player is there if you have a PC connection. ( I maybe wrong.) But that is not convenient for everyone to set up. Never heard about the satalite platform. I miss my catch up too. But I have the recorder box which helps. Anything else I catch up on the net.
Old 27-09-2011, 17:20   #23
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
I also have Freesat hd pvr and like others wondering why ITV2,3,and 4 hd channels aren`t on here yet. Mind you I`m still waiting to get the ITV player on my Goodmans box! The message I keep getting on the screen is it`s coming soon. Well so is the second coming but I`d rather not wait that long for the ITV player! Incidently anyone know when the new satalite platform is launching? It`l certainly be interesting to see if it does well.
Astra 1N is in orbit right now and should be just about to start commercial operations, if it hasn't already. After that it's up to broadcasters to sign contracts to use it.

That's not what's been holding up ITV 2/3/4 HD though. ITV has decided it's more lucrative to have the channels encrypted and take a cut of Sky's HD charge. That's why those channels are on Sky but not on Freesat.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 17:37   #24
nashville
nashville

I expect this will mean we would have to pay for it then.
Old 28-09-2011, 17:00   #25
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I think ITV player is there if you have a PC connection. ( I maybe wrong.) But that is not convenient for everyone to set up. Never heard about the satalite platform. I miss my catch up too. But I have the recorder box which helps. Anything else I catch up on the net.
The pc connection is there,I can get BBCi player okay,it`s just ITV player that I can`t get. Apparently it`s only curently available on Humax boxes. What I don`t understand is why not on all Freesat boxes?

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Astra 1N is in orbit right now and should be just about to start commercial operations, if it hasn't already. After that it's up to broadcasters to sign contracts to use it.

That's not what's been holding up ITV 2/3/4 HD though. ITV has decided it's more lucrative to have the channels encrypted and take a cut of Sky's HD charge. That's why those channels are on Sky but not on Freesat.
This is typical of ITV these days,sheer greedy. Years ago they made a bad investment (ITV digitals football deal) and ever since they`ve been trying to make up the loss through the viewers.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote