Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

Old 01-05-2011, 15:44   #46
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
re: PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

So... what's the betting that the free content is just a theme?

Not remotely bothered about the free month of PlayStation Plus, as I think its "benefits" are only really of any use if you continue to subscribe?

Still, it's good that they're offering something, and it's good to have another more comprehensive update on what's going on.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2011, 17:32   #47
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

whats on the play station plus anyway?
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 17:35   #48
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

http://uk.playstation.com/playstationplus/
Old 01-05-2011, 17:45   #49
wwe
cf.mega poster

wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 18:45   #50
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

who thinks it will get breached again?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 18:57   #51
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Does anyone know how I can find out if I ever entered my credit card details into the sony network? I can't remember if I ever did.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 19:09   #52
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Just go into Billing Details when it comes back online
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 19:35   #53
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
who thinks it will get breached again?
Hopefully not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony's press release
(snip)

...Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services...

(snip)

Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information. The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
• Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
• Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
• Implementation of additional firewalls

The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months.

(snip)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
Does anyone know how I can find out if I ever entered my credit card details into the sony network? I can't remember if I ever did.
If you never actually purchased anything, then you'll just have to wait & check as Graham said.

However, credit card info should hopefully be OK. It was in the "probably not compromised but we'd better warn people anyway" category, unlike your name, address, DOB etc. (which was all in the "oops, that's all been taken" category). Sony said all Credit Card info was encrypted (& I think it may have been on a separate server), which from what I have read is a requirement of international payment card industry security standards.

And according to MSE:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...stolen-in-hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneySavingExpert.com
Should I be worried about my card details?

Financial Fraud Action (FFA), which represents card firms, says Sony is due to pass it the details of all card numbers that may have been stolen, which FFA will then distribute to banks and building societies.

FFA says this is standard procedure after a hack.

It therefore says anyone who has entered their card number on the PlayStation network does not need to contact their provider as firms will cancel many cards automatically.

FFA adds in a statement: "Customers should keep a close eye on their account for any unusual activity – if they spot any they should contact their bank or card company.

"If anyone is the innocent victim of fraud they will get their money back from their bank or card company."

Sony is not certain that credit card details have been stolen but states on its website: "While there is no evidence credit card data was taken we cannot rule out the possibility.

"To be on the safe side we are advising your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained."
Old 01-05-2011, 21:56   #54
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Just go into Billing Details when it comes back online
I formatted my PS3 when I got a new HDD and I don't know even what my login and password were/are. Can I reset that? I don't really understand how it works. Signed up once ages ago and never used it.
Old 01-05-2011, 23:11   #55
wwe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I formatted my PS3 when I got a new HDD and I don't know even what my login and password were/are. Can I reset that? I don't really understand how it works. Signed up once ages ago and never used it.
yer you can reset it. you just had to enter some of your details and it will reset it for you
Old 02-05-2011, 11:02   #56
sniper007
Inactive

On the Playstation I mean? Or do I go online to a website to reset it? Will it recognize me if I have formatted and used a different HDD and/or console? My console was repaired as well before but I may have been given new internals/refurb since I signed up.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43   #57
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

Quote:
On the Playstation I mean? Or do I go online to a website to reset it? Will it recognize me if I have formatted and used a different HDD and/or console? My console was repaired as well before but I may have been given new internals/refurb since I signed up.
Sony mentioned about being able to change the password using confirmation from your registered email address as well. I am sure they will email you in the week, but once PSN is restored your PS3 will update it's firmware and tell you what to do.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 17:36   #58
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Sony Online Entertainment servers have now been shut down due to an unnamed intrusion!

http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-onli...amed-intrusion
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 21:10   #59
wwe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
yer it be fine. you can do it though your ps3 or on the playstation website
Old 03-05-2011, 02:16   #60
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Sony Online Entertainment servers have now been shut down due to an unnamed intrusion!

http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-onli...amed-intrusion
Oops...

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/116/1165583p1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
Sony Online Entertainment confirmed today it is investigating an security breach into its network systems and that hackers may have stolen SOE customer information.

A spokesperson said this was not a second attack, and the temporary take down of SOE services was related to the ongoing investigation of the external intrusion that caused PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to shut down last month.

"This information, which was discovered by engineers and security consultants reviewing SOE systems, showed that personal information from approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts may have been stolen, as well as certain information from an outdated database from 2007," SOE said in a statement.

"The information from the outdated database that may have been stolen includes approximately 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes), and about 10,700 direct debit records of certain customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain."

Quote:
The personal information of the approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts that was illegally obtained, to the extent it had been provided to SOE, is as follows:

- name

- address

- e-mail address

- birthdate

- phone number

- login name

- hashed password.

In addition to the information above, the 10,700 direct debit records from accounts in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain, include:

- bank account number

- customer name

- account name

- customer address.
SOE says it will give customers 30 days of additional time on their subscriptions "in addition to compensating them one day for each day the system is down." The company is also outlining a "make good" plan for its multiplatform MMOs - DC Universe Online and Free Realms - with more details coming this week.

SOE posted a notice on its website saying, "There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment."

Copyright 1996-2011, IGN Entertainment, Inc.