Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Just got 50mb Broadband - Signal levels ok?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Just got 50mb Broadband - Signal levels ok?

Old 13-05-2010, 21:01   #46
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold
Re: Just got 50mb Broadband - Signal levels ok?

Rang up and got an Indian call centre 2 days ago. They said there was a fault in the area. Gave me £15 and said it was to be fixed by 13th. Today, still issues. So rang again, got another £20 credit and said it could take up to 2 weeks. Explained my cooling off period was up on Saturday and could they extend it while I wait. They said unable to do this and call customer service in the morning.

Very frustrating, what should I do and can they increase the cooling off period?
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2010, 21:17   #47
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Rang up and got an Indian call centre 2 days ago. They said there was a fault in the area. Gave me £15 and said it was to be fixed by 13th. Today, still issues. So rang again, got another £20 credit and said it could take up to 2 weeks. Explained my cooling off period was up on Saturday and could they extend it while I wait. They said unable to do this and call customer service in the morning.

Very frustrating, what should I do and can they increase the cooling off period?
Yes they can extend the cooling off period especially if you have had issues during it.

Ring in the morning as advised and sort something out with them.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 21:58   #48
speedfreak
Inactive

Services: VM phone TV 50Mbps BB
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal

When you ring UK, confirm the credit as offshore support lied to me about putting credit on my account
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 23:10   #49
Risco
Inactive

Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Yes they can extend the cooling off period especially if you have had issues during it.

Ring in the morning as advised and sort something out with them.
Great, makes me feel a bit better. Only reason I stayed with Virgin over Sky was because of the broadband!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
When you ring UK, confirm the credit as offshore support lied to me about putting credit on my account
Wow, I will check in the morning to see they have done that. Damn stupid script reading idiots! It is nice to have a 24 hour service for issues, but I would rather an english based call centre.
Old 13-05-2010, 23:18   #50
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post

Wow, I will check in the morning to see they have done that. Damn stupid script reading idiots! It is nice to have a 24 hour service for issues, but I would rather an english based call centre.
I would rather not have us covering 24/7 thank you.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 23:19   #51
speedfreak
Inactive

speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Think of the money and of your customers
Old 13-05-2010, 23:20   #52
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
NMCs do, slacker.

They wouldn't want to pay you guys the extra unsociable hours allowances no doubt
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 23:24   #53
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

If by any chance the CS dealing with you in the morning won't play the game, ask to be put through to retentions and explain to them that you have not had a fair and reasonable chance to evaluate their service due to the issues you have experienced.

Honestly though you should not need to go that far as CS will realise you need more time. You may even get a credit to your account.

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

Quote:
Think of the overtime! You could earn a fortune!!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 00:03   #54
Risco
Inactive

Quote:
Hehe, think of the money! Seriously though, I know it is cost related but having english based call centres could solve a lot of issues. All we end up doing is calling the UK guys in the morning anyway. I personally feel that 12am finish would be a reasonable ask.

Maybe I will email the CEO with that idea :P

/runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
If by any chance the CS dealing with you in the morning won't play the game, ask to be put through to retentions and explain to them that you have not had a fair and reasonable chance to evaluate their service due to the issues you have experienced.

Honestly though you should not need to go that far as CS will realise you need more time. You may even get a credit to your account.

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

Think of the overtime! You could earn a fortune!!
Thanks for the tip!
Old 14-05-2010, 20:37   #55
Risco
Inactive

An engineer is coming out tmoz. He would have come today, but I had to go to work.

Just look at these joke stats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg london.jpg (139.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg modem.jpg (130.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg modem2.jpg (128.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg mutiple files.jpg (154.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (148.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 14-05-2010, 22:12   #56
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

what is wrong with them? Your download speeds are fine and as for the speedtest, run one off the london server and see what you get
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 22:15   #57
speedfreak
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
what is wrong with them? Your download speeds are fine and as for the speedtest, run one off the london server and see what you get
Are we viewing different results here

Did you check on the credit?
Old 14-05-2010, 22:20   #58
Risco
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I did run off the London one, just did not upload it. I am on 50mb, getting half my upload speed and less than 30mb speeds, barely faster than my 20mb.
Old 14-05-2010, 22:29   #59
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I am seeing download speeds of 3.5mb/sec which I think is perfectly reasonable for a 50mbit connection. If I get anything between 4-5 I am happy. In theory I could moan all the time because I should be getting 6mb/sec for my 50mbit connection but I can honestly say that I only 6mb/sec for the first time ever yesterday when I was hammering newsgroups. I think VM are ahead of the game in terms of speed atm in the sense that the majority of websites can't pump out enough juice to all it's visitors. If we could click our fingers and give everyone 50mbit in the country they would all be moaning. It isn't because VM arent providing the download speed, it is because on the majority of sites it just simply isn't available to be had. Maybe this time next year as things develop peeps won't have a problem pulling 5mb/sec and instead those of us 100mbit will be moaning that we can't download at 12.5mb/sec. It just takes time for everyone to catch up.

When I first got my 50mbit connection I was lucky enough that one server on speedtest.net gave me a true line test because none of the other ones did and VM said not to use speedtest.net because it didn't support 50mbit connections. The engineer ran a test off the official VM test server and it came back with 25mbits, what does that say about the VM servers?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 14:29   #60
Risco
Inactive

Guy came, give him his due he spent nearly 2 hours sorting it. He said I needed a reverse HDU to keep my upstream in check ( already had, was hoping I could do without )

Turns out the Dlink was faulty and killing my speeds, also he replaced the splitter.