Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

The iPhone thread

Old 18-09-2007, 16:29   #46
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: iPhone UK Release info

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Says who?

What I download it up to me / the users - not for somebody to dictate what I can and can't download on a device of my choice!
iPhone has a web browser and a e-mail client. What do you think you can donwload onto it?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2007, 16:35   #47
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Nope, Apple properly forced it on them. It's also not 3G.
Which if you are used to 3G will be like going back to dial up for your mobile internet.
The frustration of seeing how googlemaps works on my k800i in the UK and over here in the US (where its 3G capabilities will never work as they are on the wrong frequencies)

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
LOL!!! I didn't mean that kinda stuff....but what if I wanted to download 30 MP3 albums and a couple of videos...
If you have bought them from the iTunes store then I would be pretty sure that will not impact your other data use habits.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 16:40   #48
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

So let me get this right - the phone is £269 and you can't pay cash for it*. You then need to activate it through iTunes so need to create an account with that (via Debit/Credit card) and sign up for an 18 month contract. The contract costs from £35 and gives you 200 min and 200 texts** - a truly crap tariff.

Am I the only one that thing this a ridiculous price to pay for a phone? One that then won't work properly if you decide to take it else where or switch to PAYG.

* http://media.phonehouse.com/mediaser...7&ver=1&RD=YES

**This makes texts and calls cost 8p per min/text.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 16:47   #49
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
So let me get this right - the phone is £269 and you can't pay cash for it*. You then need to activate it through iTunes so need to create an account with that (via Debit/Credit card) and sign up for an 18 month contract. The contract costs from £35 and gives you 200 min and 200 texts** - a truly crap tariff.

Am I the only one that thing this a ridiculous price to pay for a phone? One that then won't work properly if you decide to take it else where or switch to PAYG.

* http://media.phonehouse.com/mediaser...7&ver=1&RD=YES

**This makes texts and calls cost 8p per min/text.
Your ** is inaccurate, because the subscription includes unlimited data downloads. I don't know how you would factor that in as I'm not any kind of expert on mobiles (mine doesn't even have a camera, wap or MMS, and I like it that way!) but if you're going to postulate a nominal cost for calls and texts, you have to spread the subscription charge across everything it buys you, not just bits of it.

As for the functionality not working if you port the number or switch to PAYG - you're signing up for an 18-month tariff so presumably that's not going to be an issue for some time. I will be extremely surprised if O2's exclusive deal with Apple is indefinite. I'd expect within a year or so to see it released to the other networks as well. Once the early adopter flurry is over, it is certainly not in Apple's interests to limit distribution, or the usefulness of the handset, in this way.

Once the handset is released from the initial 18-month contract it may also prove to be illegal under EU law to prevent its use on another network in any case.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 16:57   #50
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Your ** is inaccurate, because the subscription includes unlimited data downloads.
Well if you want to look at it like that then they're charging a lot for data. They do a £35 tariff online that gives you 600 min and 500 tests - you're loosing 700 units (assuming both are weighted equally). That equates to ~£22 a month for data.

Quote:
I don't know how you would factor that in as I'm not any kind of expert on mobiles (mine doesn't even have a camera, wap or MMS, and I like it that way!) but if you're going to postulate a nominal cost for calls and texts, you have to spread the subscription charge across everything it buys you, not just bits of it.
If you're working backwards from their "normal" £35 tariff you're paying ~3p per min/text but then paying £22 a month for data. Or if you take out the data from the package and assume they're throwing it in for free then the unit cost jumps to ~8p.

Quote:
As for the functionality not working if you port the number or switch to PAYG - you're signing up for an 18-month tariff so presumably that's not going to be an issue for some time.
I like the be able to put another sim in my phone for various reasons. If I'm going abroad, I'm with friend and their battery dies or if I want a free ticket on Orange Wednesdays. I also like the fact that if my provider ups the cost of the package I'm on I can switch with very little hassle. Not possible with the iphone.

Quote:
I will be extremely surprised if O2's exclusive deal with Apple is indefinite. I'd expect within a year or so to see it released to the other networks as well. Once the early adopter flurry is over, it is certainly not in Apple's interests to limit distribution, or the usefulness of the handset, in this way.
But you've got to agree the price with drop when this happens, which backs up my point - it's an extortionate price to pay for the latest gadget.

Quote:
Once the handset is released from the initial 18-month contract it may also prove to be illegal under EU law to prevent its use on another network in any case.
But if they don't have the technology on the network many of the features won't work.
Old 18-09-2007, 19:14   #51
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well if you want to look at it like that then they're charging a lot for data. They do a £35 tariff online that gives you 600 min and 500 tests - you're loosing 700 units (assuming both are weighted equally). That equates to ~£22 a month for data.
£0.75p / Mb means they budget 1Mb a day of data use.
This is also GPRS data not 3G data which is more bandwith intensive.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 19:27   #52
zing_deleted

I personally think the phone looks naff. I think having to have iTunes is worse than naff. I think the whole thing is bobbins but Bop if you upgrade sell me an xda lol
Old 19-09-2007, 02:17   #53
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I am on a 12 month 02 contact that ends in March, think they'll let me upgrade in Novermber :S

As I work for O2 I can answer this.

Yes they will. Another part of the Apple deal so I am told. It's to be offered to all customers. More so if they upgraded recently, they will have the opportunity to upgrade to the iPhone as soon as it becomes available.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 16:11   #54
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

A case of style over substance in my (humble) opinion

2mp Camera with no zoom or flash, no 3G connectivity.

There are better devices about for less.

Whats this I hear about O2 being so desperate to get the deal they agreed to give Apple 40% of the profits ??
Old 19-09-2007, 17:36   #55
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Whats this I hear about O2 being so desperate to get the deal they agreed to give Apple 40% of the profits ??
That was a clause included by apple for all the UK networks who wanted to supply the iPod. They did the same to AT&T in the US.

The reason they chose us, was due to the fact that we are number 1 for customer service in the UK, out of all the other mobile networks.
Old 19-09-2007, 17:49   #56
Shaun
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
The reason they chose us, was due to the fact that we are number 1 for customer service in the UK, out of all the other mobile networks.
No much of an acolade after dealing with T-Mobile and Orange

As for the price coming down it look slike it's a five year deal!

Quote:
But how much is O2 paying for its five-year exclusive, and can it really make any money out of it?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...phone_at_last/

Quote:
Your ** is inaccurate, because the subscription includes unlimited data downloads.
But no by much Chris - they look like they make about 60p per month from data charges so by including them they're still making the deal look really bad.

Quote:
Around 30 per cent of O2's ARPU comes from data, but only 2.6 per cent of that is data as we would understand it - the rest is SMS traffic which is unlikely to change significantly for iPhone users (though the inability to send to multiple recipients, or type messages one-handed, might reduce traffic). So O2 stands to lose at least 60 pence in data charges per month, per iPhone user.

The iPhone doesn't support MMS
(Multimedia Messaging Service), but O2 users only send an average of half a message a month, so assuming the iPhone user would also have received half an MMS per month, that's another 45 pence off the ARPU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Register reader
So that's 279, then [£]35*18 [months], for a total of over 900 quid.

For that you could get yourself a Nokia N95 on a 12 month Flext35 contract, with double the included minutes, and unlimited 1.4mbit 3.5G.

What's more, you'd still have enough left to buy an 8GB iPod Nano. And an entire PC
Does look liek one great big rip off

I'd love one but I just can't justify being ripped off like that. Hopefuly the sales will be slow when people realize hoe bad a rip of it is. It's just really bad value for money.
Old 19-09-2007, 17:55   #57
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Quote:
No much of an acolade after dealing with T-Mobile and Orange
Or even 3 & Voda for that matter. It's a fact that we are number 1 with T-Mobile hot on our heels.

I personally think the iPhone is a nice handset. However, my money is on Nokia coming out with something special to give it some really healthy competition.

I am going to leave it a few months before I decide to get one, just to see where the land lies and also because I may get a 50% discount on tariff and handset.
Old 19-09-2007, 17:56   #58
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
That was a clause included by apple for all the UK networks who wanted to supply the iPod. They did the same to AT&T in the US.

Sounds like you may have swallowed the internal PR line my friend. What was it, a 7am email from the CEO?

Are you absolutely certain that the amount O2 was prepared to pay for the privilege had nothing whatsoever to do with it?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 18:06   #59
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Sounds like you may have swallowed the internal PR line my friend. What was it, a 7am email from the CEO?

Are you absolutely certain that the amount O2 was prepared to pay for the privilege had nothing whatsoever to do with it?
It may have had a slight bearing on things.

Anyway, I don't care. All I can say is "We got the iPhone!"

Get it right round ye!
Old 19-09-2007, 18:51   #60
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

I could not even if i wanted to justify one at those prices