Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 15:06   #151
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: CB'ing and Ham radio in the 21st Century

Talking about Radio in the 21st century, can anyone tell me where I can buy an antenna like this???

http://www.kkn.net/dayton2006/K9LTN.pdf
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2012, 15:27   #152
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Talking about Radio in the 21st century, can anyone tell me where I can buy an antenna like this???

http://www.kkn.net/dayton2006/K9LTN.pdf
Give Ron at Vine a call, he will tell you just how much just one of those Stepp-IRs costs to bring in

http://www.vinecom.co.uk/
Old 11-04-2013, 13:46   #153
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Interesting little WSPR project for those who are licenced and own a Raspberry Pi

Quote:
Eddie Bennett, G3ZJO, may now hold a QRP distance record for a micro power transmission
Eddie Bennett, G3ZJO, may now hold a QRP distance record for a micro power transmission using a Raspberry Pi microcomputer as a transmitter. He used the 10 milliwatts of RF that can be generated from the Raspberry Pi computer board to be heard at over 2000km on the 7MHz band as the Pi can be made to operate as a WSPR mode transmitter. Among the stations who received his WSPR signal on 40m was LA9JO in JP99 at a distance of 2124km.
https://github.com/threeme3/WsprryPi
Old 14-06-2013, 09:06   #154
Kymmy
Inactive

RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) are celebrating their centenary this year, so for the next month the yearly membership has dropped to £1 and that is full membership with Radcoms (the magazine) and full voting rights.

http://www.rsgbmembers.co.uk/
Old 14-06-2013, 11:46   #155
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

I made alot of money in the 80's fixing peoples CB radios who had been tweaked to give higher power when in fact they were just retuning the output stage harmonics and not the fundamental power, fixing microphones and burners where I got my first nasty RF burn off a 1200W burner. Happy days. I remember being able to turn my sister's VCR off when I keyed up on full smoke. That's when my Pa took down my external aerial

I still have a Ham International Multimode AM/FM/USB/LSB and a Cobra 120 in my loft with a 5/8ths Silver Rod. Last time I switched it on ~1995 ish, the channels were dead.

I made a lot of friends in those days on 27MHz FM before it sadly was moved to 934MHz where most could not afford the rigs.
Old 14-06-2013, 12:11   #156
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
burners where I got my first nasty RF burn off a 1200W burner. Happy days.
LOL, I remember helping my brother put up an antenna back in the late 80's, was just finishing it and had the PL259 between my teeth whilst I checked fixing bolts. He only decided to key up at that time!!!!!!

I won't type here what I said to him as it wasn't nice
Old 14-06-2013, 16:06   #157
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I remember we had a healthy contingent of CB users in Osnabruck when i was based there with the Army, i can remember the first time the skip was right and we could talk to the uk on one of the new legal FM units. I must admit however i much preferred using my Ham International AM/FM/USB/LSB but the guys in the rooms around me did not when i fired up my burner and they lost there SSVC Tv channel

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 04-04-2015, 15:31   #158
Kymmy
Inactive

Since I've been away any new hams or even cb users (especially with am\ssb now allowed) on here?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:56   #159
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I remember when the skip was rolling I used to talk to several people from your area Kymmy ON FM!!!!!!!! (And doing it on FM is quite a challenge seeing the hash level makes it a little harder to hear when the signal is weaker)

Are you saying AM is now IN USE full time now there?? (I know ppl were using AM before but mostly I heard them on FM)

I think FM is a cleaner mode because IT DOES NOT SPLASH PEOPLES APPLICANCES!! (Radios,TVs,etc) -- AM modulation can be quite destructive........ (SSB as well since its on AM)
Old 05-04-2015, 11:54   #160
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Sideband is now legal?! Wow I may well dig my old Cobra 148 out of my mother's attic. Is there a output wattage limitation? IIRC the Cobra used to put out about 12w on SSB. Are any burners now permitted?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 05-04-2015, 12:24   #161
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Sideband is now legal?! Wow I may well dig my old Cobra 148 out of my mother's attic. Is there a output wattage limitation? IIRC the Cobra used to put out about 12w on SSB. Are any burners now permitted?
Gobsmacked they have allowed SSB, I used it all the time in Germany using the skip to hit the UK and the USA. The best rig i had was a Tristar but cannot remember the model number.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 05-04-2015, 16:15   #162
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
4w fm 12w ssb, type approved equipment only but that's not really enforcable, if you want a burner check your gas stove, other than that linear amplifiers are not legal.
Old 05-04-2015, 19:13   #163
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Gobsmacked they have allowed SSB, I used it all the time in Germany using the skip to hit the UK and the USA. The best rig i had was a Tristar but cannot remember the model number.
EMC is far more stringently enforced these says compared to back in the old days both with the radio sets themselves and electronic stuff that gets interfered with.

Sticking within the rules and setting up station properly shouldn't really cause any grief. 12W goes a long way at sunspot max.
Old 05-04-2015, 19:18   #164
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

About the only thing I use my CB handset (2.5W)for these days is blasting projects with a bit of RF to see if they respond. Like wise I have a 2 metre unit for the same.

Sorry for any in the vicinity for firing "Blanks"
Old 05-04-2015, 19:54   #165
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
, if you want a burner check your gas stove, other than that linear amplifiers are not legal.
My apologies, I temporarily forgot I was speaking to a radio ham

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Closed Thread