Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media should have matched BT FTTC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media should have matched BT FTTC

Old 12-03-2012, 20:09   #16
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media should have matched BT FTTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Which they do every year, so it's not really relevant.
Increasing costs for increasing speed vs. not costs for increasing speed is very relevant.

Quote:
Last time I checked, just under 70% of cable users get the speed they're paying for. For ADSL, that figure was <50%. Has that changed recently?
VDSL changed that.

Quote:
Not yet, apparently.
Neither are VM. What's your point?

Quote:
For most people, I think upload speed isn't an issue.
For most people, I think download speed isn't an issue.

Quote:
Assuming they don't finish ahead of schedule. Which, if recent news is any indication, they may well finish sooner.
Recent news says they are 4-5 months BEHIND schedule on the first of 3 sets of upgrades necessary before double speeds can take place.

Quote:
Base price. Not including discounts/mates rates/etc.
Wrong. £25.50 after discounts. £34.75 before.
Infinity is £25 before discounts.

Quote:
Well we all know that most current ADSL users don't get anywhere near their headline speed at any time. Any information on how close to headline speed their Infinity product is for the average customer?
Infinity customers get the almost the same percentage of their provisioned speed as VM 50mb customers (2% less). In proportion to "headline speed" which is subject to marketing spin, VM 50mb gets 96% and BT 40mb gets 90%.

Infinity customers are not subject to STM or deliberate reductions in speed. Infinity customers are also guaranteed a minimum speed at all times.

Interactive activities, such as web browsing, are faster on BT 40mb than VM 50mb.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2012, 20:18   #17
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Don't play with either troll.

I had to put a post in this thread, the first two posters amusingly were both on my ignore list but I was bored and curious.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:21   #18
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post

I had to put a post in this thread, the first two posters amusingly were both on my ignore list but I was bored and curious.
Great minds think alike it was the same for me

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:22   #19
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

i wonder if i am on ingition ingoer lsit lol
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:25   #20
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:

Oh, they both trolls?

Dammit, I fell for it again. My bad. Maybe I need an upgraded trolldar

Back to doing my actual job then, instead of falling for this crap over and over again
Old 12-03-2012, 20:26   #21
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
i wonder if i am on ingition ingoer lsit lol
Not yet.

While we're talking about FTTC... http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/5088.html

It's off topic but far more interesting than the topic anyway, TalkTalk ask for £5 a month extra for 80Mb/20Mb over their 40Mb/2Mb service, however it should be noted that TalkTalk take their service direct from Openreach while BT Infinity is a BT Wholesale resold service so is at the mercy of Wholesale's price list.

Openreach charge £2.55/month not including VAT more for 80Mb/20Mb than 40Mb/10Mb.

It's not going to be free, BT are already taking a hit charging the same for Infinity as Total, they're not going to take another £5+/month hit on 80Mb/20Mb, their margins are already pretty slim on this product.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:31   #22
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

VM do match FTTC on download speeds just one has to sign up to one of VMs highest 2 tiers, and the market is download focused at the moment.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:56   #23
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It's not going to be free, BT are already taking a hit charging the same for Infinity as Total, they're not going to take another £5+/month hit on 80Mb/20Mb, their margins are already pretty slim on this product.
Hmm. Analysts have said BT charging £25 for 40mb while VM are going to charge £25 for 100 would mean they would have to offer the upgraded speeds at no cost or look very uncompetitive.

Quite how this will pan out I don't know but competition is good, right?.

Old 12-03-2012, 21:12   #24
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Can I remind members that the IGNORE feature is the best way to go if you do not like a particular member, or just simply leave the thread.. Also I suggest that if you do not have anything to add to the topic then you do not post.

Last post deleted
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 00:44   #25
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
i see ou are still pro virign carl and you dnt work for them lol
Yes. And your point is?

Quote:
most peopel do want more upload
Do you have any evidence to back-up this claim?
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 00:46   #26
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Hmm. Analysts have said BT charging £25 for 40mb while VM are going to charge £25 for 100 would mean they would have to offer the upgraded speeds at no cost or look very uncompetitive.

Quite how this will pan out I don't know but competition is good, right?.

VM trying to trash the market more it seems forcing prices down.

However BT are superior value in phone services so BT could argue the higher broadband price is offset in a phone/broadband combo deal as well as the higher upload speeds and better gaming performance.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 02:00   #27
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Old 13-03-2012, 07:42   #28
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
And Breath or you will get a headache Maggy

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 08:13   #29
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Can I remind members that the IGNORE feature is the best way to go if you do not like a particular member, or just simply leave the thread.. Also I suggest that if you do not have anything to add to the topic then you do not post.

Last post deleted
Can you ignore mods?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 08:17   #30
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Not if they are posting as a Mod in bold.

Can you put us on ignore? Don't know, but if you could, and ignored Mod/Admin requests, the outcome for someone who did that could be sub-optimal....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote