Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Harrogate - Slow and intermittent

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Harrogate - Slow and intermittent

Old 06-05-2012, 11:13   #16
fortigeek
Inactive

Services: 100Mb XXL TV Tivo Phone
fortigeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Harrogate - Slow and intermittent

Ok thanks guy's.. I didn't expect to cause an argument

The internet went down again on Saturday so called VM support Scotland. Said just an outage and it came up in an hour.. while I had him on I mentioned I had the VMNG300 which I had been told is the wrong router. He agreed and is sending me an new router next week.

I'm assuming it is a Superhub and know to place it in Modem Mode to feed to my firewall.
I'm still stuck with a week signal though.. roughly 2.0 and I'm hoping the new modem will address this... maybe not..
fortigeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2012, 11:39   #17
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortigeek View Post
The internet went down again on Saturday..
I can only assume that's a different internet to the one I use as I had no such problems

(What I mean is I assume it was a specific 100mb problem as I'm only on 30!)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:31   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm still stuck with a week signal though.. roughly 2.0 and I'm hoping the new modem will address this... maybe not..
2.0 is a perfectly strong signal and well within ideal range.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 18:51   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

ignore customer services, the vmng300 is can handle 100mbit no probs and you dont want to be replacing it unless you/they can actually prove it is the "modem" which is faulty. The shub is a combi modem/router which you do want to be putting in modem mode and using your existing router. I would still keep the vmng300 though because simply swapping the modem isnt going to fix your power levels. Can you post your power levels now so we can see if they have changed? If they say there was an outage it means it isnt specific to you and it is an area fault. Hopefully they took it down for an hour while they fixed whatever was causing your initial problem.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 13:54   #20
fortigeek
Inactive

Cable Modem Downstream

DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 298750000 306750000 314750000 322750000
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y
Channel Id 2 3 4 5
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 6.952 6.952 6.952 6.952
Interleave Depth I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17
Power Level
(dBmV) 1.38 0.98 0.49 0.49
RxMER
(dB) 37.36 37.36 37.64 37.94
Correctable
Codewords 302368 356983 312159 260358
Uncorrectable
Codewords 312 346 322 332

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

Cable Modem Upstream
US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 2.0 N/A N/A N/A
Channel ID 9 N/A N/A N/A
Frequency
(Hz) 35800000 N/A N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success N/A N/A N/A
Modulation 16QAM N/A N/A N/A
Symbol Rate
(KSym/sec) 5120 N/A N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 4 N/A N/A N/A
Power Level
(dBmV) 47.46 N/A N/A N/A
T1 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T2 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T3 Timeouts 2 0 0 0
T4 Timeouts 0 0 0 0

Thanks guy's been helpful
Old 08-05-2012, 00:28   #21
Jennyc
Inactive

Jennyc is on a distinguished roadJennyc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It came on for a couple of hours this morning after being down overnight... and its off again for the last 4 hours!

I'm under a lot of pressure to get work done.. I've been with Virgin for 10 years or from NTL and this is been the worst.. because there is no communication and doesn't seem they care. This is as if they've gone back to NTL days of avoiding customers..

Same problem here but in the Lincolnshire area. Had problems for the last 3 days, keep getting Timed out and losing Internet connection.

Phoned CS this morning and the lady said she could see I have problems and has booked an engineer for tomorrow between 12 - 4. She said if he couldn't solve it he would leave me a new Superhub.

Have to say I'm quite impressed with that service!
Jennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:44   #22
fortigeek
Inactive

Thanks jenny,
I'm receiving the new modem tomorrow and like they say I know it won't increase the low signal strength.

I've had fantastic connection for years and even the 100Mb upgrade 5 months ago was excellent but recently since the outages in this area the ping times increase to 60ms and is slow with speedtest.net test of between 5Mb and 20Mb down and 5Mb up..

nothing changed on my network and have tested directly connected to the modem.

hope they can help you...
Old 08-05-2012, 08:31   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyc View Post
She said if he couldn't solve it he would leave me a new Superhub.

Have to say I'm quite impressed with that service!
I am sorry but that is rubbish customer service. If he cant fix the fault then it needs escalating. The shub isnt the magical cure for every single fault; it doesnt fix problems, it makes them. The engineer will probably want to swap your modem for a shub when he comes round anyway and I strongly recommend you dont let him.

I hope everything gets sorted for you.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:48   #24
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
If he cant fix the fault then it needs escalating.
Of course, if the new shub does fix the problem, why waste everyone's time escalating it? We don't know which modem Jennc has. If it's a really old one (she's been with NTL for 10 years so it's possible) then the shub may well be needed.

Quote:
The shub isnt the magical cure for every single fault; it doesnt fix problems, it makes them. The engineer will probably want to swap your modem for a shub when he comes round anyway and I strongly recommend you dont let him.
You are welcome to your opinion but your bias against the shub is obvious so I think that your opinion should be taken in that context.

Yes, I know there are some problems with the shub but I have just got a new shub here and am not having any problems with it.

Quote:
I hope everything gets sorted for you.
Indeed.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:51   #25
fortigeek
Inactive

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 322750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+
Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 5 55616000 Kbits/sec 322750000 Hz -0.9 dBmV 42.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 1 55616000 Kbits/sec 290750000 Hz -0.3 dBmV 42.0 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 2 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz -0.5 dBmV 42.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 3 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz -0.6 dBmV 41.8 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 4 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz -1.0 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown
Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 10 20480 Kbits/sec 45800000 Hz 46.3 dBmV

Well it didn't cure it .. no... but its up and running on shub
Old 08-05-2012, 13:57   #26
Jennyc
Inactive

Jennyc is on a distinguished roadJennyc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Of course, if the new shub does fix the problem, why waste everyone's time escalating it? We don't know which modem Jennc has. If it's a really old one (she's been with NTL for 10 years so it's possible) then the shub may well be needed.

You are welcome to your opinion but your bias against the shub is obvious so I think that your opinion should be taken in that context.

Yes, I know there are some problems with the shub but I have just got a new shub here and am not having any problems with it.

Indeed.
I've already got the shub.

The engineer has just been out and tried to tell me it was a problem with my PC. I informed him that the problem is now showing on VM Status page. He told me that he was the engineer and not me (Lol) and if there was a problem in the area he would know about it. Well I persisted and he eventually rang someone and found that there is indeed a problem in the area!

He said as it's an intermittent problem it could take up to 7 days to fix it. At the moment it's working ok.
Jennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 14:53   #27
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I've already got the shub.
Ahh. "A new superhub". That could have been read two ways; obviously I chose the wrong one

The engineer has just been out and tried to tell me it was a problem with my PC. I informed him that the problem is now showing on VM Status page. He told me that he was the engineer and not me (Lol) and if there was a problem in the area he would know about it. Well I persisted and he eventually rang someone and found that there is indeed a problem in the area!

He said as it's an intermittent problem it could take up to 7 days to fix it. At the moment it's working ok.[/QUOTE]

Intermittent problems are always the worst to try and diagnose/fix. Hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 08-05-2012, 19:28   #28
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
If he cant fix the fault then it needs escalating
Quote:
Of course, if the new shub does fix the problem, why waste everyone's time escalating it?

hmmm, I dont recall suggesting that it needs escalating regardless. I dont know what world you live in but if an engineer comes round and cant fix a problem then it makes sense to me that it would need escalating to be resolved.

Quote:
She said if he couldn't solve it he would leave me a new Superhub.
Quote:

yes it is and with good reason. That being said, it is still wrong to assume the shub is the solution to fix all problems; it is poor fault diagnosis. Although they vary slightly by vendor, there are industry standards set by companies like CompTIA, MS and Cisco which explain in detail the different stages you go though in a logical and methodical way to accurately identify, diagnose and fix faults and saying we'll send out a shub is just rubbish. I don't whine for the sake of it. If I thought the shub was the bees knees (like I do Linksys routers) then I would say that to everyone when asked. I do my best to provide positive and constructive advice to users who ask for it. If they choose to ignore my advice and possibly shoot themselves in the foot that is up to them. At the end of the day they come to this forum for help and I along with many other do my best to help.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39   #29
fortigeek
Inactive

Sorry lads, I'm back. Been out of the country for a few days..

connection still slow.. power levels low.. but some say is fine.

Connection

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 322750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+
Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 5 55616000 Kbits/sec 322750000 Hz 44.0 dBmV 42.1 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 1 55616000 Kbits/sec 290750000 Hz -0.1 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 2 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz -0.3 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 3 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz -0.5 dBmV 41.8 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 4 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz -0.9 dBmV 41.9 dB Hybrid
Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 9 20480 Kbits/sec 35800000 Hz 47.8 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 17126
Max Traffic Rate 110000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 17125
Max Traffic Rate 10250000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 16320 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 16320 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort
Current System Time:Sat May 12 07:30:59 2012

now I have 1 done stream channel with 44 will the others are -0
whats that all about
Old 12-05-2012, 10:30   #30
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

the silly power level is a firmware bug in the superhub, a reboot will put that right

everything else is fine
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote