Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Cap & Netflix!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Cap & Netflix!

Old 18-02-2012, 03:02   #16
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Cap & Netflix!

The average BT "fibre" connection is nearly 3 times as fast as the average VM "fibre" connection. And it's uncapped.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2012, 08:53   #17
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

I live less than a mile from my exchange, i can walk it in 5 mins, my neighbour gets about 9mb! on his BT total broadband, i have looked at the update schedule for infinity and my exchange isn't even listed (some of the surrounding areas are listed for December) so as my info implies... i am indeed a VM prisoner
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 09:19   #18
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Virgin claim the whole point of stm is to stop the minority (something like 2%) of users from negatively impacting network performance to the detriment of other users. What you suggest goes directly against that philosophy atm. They have capped you because of the volume of traffic you are generating, especially on docsis 1, and uncapping it and actually prioritising the traffic screws things up big time.

You have lead us to a very good point though which many of us have raised before. Technology has got to the point now where even the slowest of connections are fast and like many users have argued, what do you need more than 1mb/sec for? The OP shouldn't have to upgrade to 50mbit or 100mbit to be relieved of stm when the speed he is getting atm is more than sufficient. I think it would be a great idea for all the tiers is there was a level 1 and 2 where 1 is the more expensive and un-stm'd and 2 is cheaper and stm'd. As an example (I don't know how much 10mb is so this is an example).

10mbit unmanaged on docsis 3 for £15/month for peeps like the OP for netflix and whatever else

10mbit managed with stm on docsis 1 for £10/month, designed for light/moderate use (like it is now)

Both offer you respectable speed which everyone is happy with however they are designed for different usage patterns. I would say you could do the same for up to 50mbit however I think anyone on 100mbit would argue that they want the speed because they download tonnes and want it done asap so they wouldnt be interested in paying less for thresholds to be impossed which would only screw them over.

(I am charging 10% commision on the above idea )

reminded me of this:

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs!

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

and surprisely i can read that with no problem but i doubt anyone else could
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 18:40   #19
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

i can read that, only becuase the first and end letters are correct
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 19:58   #20
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Heavy user on a lite broadband package, what do you expect
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 22:03   #21
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Heavy user on a lite broadband package, what do you expect
I'm a heavy user on a SkyBB £7.50 package and I never hit any issuses. So surely someone paying £22 for less speed than I get for £7.50 must be paying a premium price.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 23:03   #22
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

You can't get sky broadband without line rental
Old 18-02-2012, 23:38   #23
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFTW View Post
I'm a heavy user on a SkyBB £7.50 package and I never hit any issuses. So surely someone paying £22 for less speed than I get for £7.50 must be paying a premium price.
you could be pyaing £1 but someone else £50 but have totally differnet service but jsut becaus oyu pay more doesnt mean it is premium
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 23:56   #24
|Kippa|
Inactive

|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them

My connection is 50mbit and I use Netflix heavly. I haven't noticed any of my HD streams being turned off/lowerd to standard definition. If you are on a lower package than 50mbit then I would suggest you think about upgrading.
|Kippa| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 00:09   #25
satellite-man
Inactive

Services: Sky Entertainment Extra/HD Pack Northern Ireland, VM 50MB BB, VM M TV, VM M Phone, BT Unlimited
satellite-man is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by moowow! View Post
I signed up for a trail of netflix at the weekend, and on Sunday i was watching three hours of tv programs in hd then the quality dropped i spend ages fiddling with my signal trying to make it better, but then i turn the pc on and see ive been capped by vm!!!

Virgin media need to sort out there capping system and stop capping the innocent users out there in peak time!
Netflix is meant to be the future of tv? Well not if you got virgin media cas they will cap you!!!
makes no odds what your using your bandwidth for if you go over you get capped simples, why should they not cap you just cuz your using Netflix ?

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
reminded me of this:

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs!

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
nice you are aint ya, as his signature says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
I am dyslexic so please do not criticize or moan if you can not understand what i have written.

Any views or opinions i express are my own and not of my company
satellite-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 00:25   #26
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve

Quote:
You can't get sky broadband without line rental
Line rental is £9.90 if you pay in advance so £17.40 for unlimited,unmanaged, unshaped 14Mb BB with unlimited calls evenings and weekends is pretty damn good.

The same from VM is £33 but with strict upload and download managment which mean at peak time you could be cut back to 2.5Mb for 5 hours. An even if you don't download your line will have management at peak times.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 01:54   #27
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Line rental is £9.90 if you pay in advance so £17.40 for unlimited,unmanaged, unshaped 14Mb BB with unlimited calls evenings and weekends is pretty damn good.

The same from VM is £33 but with strict upload and download managment which mean at peak time you could be cut back to 2.5Mb for 5 hours. An even if you don't download your line will have management at peak times.
Not to split hairs but it's £9.95/month with £119.40 upfront payment.

This will *probably* rise in May as that's when Sky phone prices go up and all other phone providers prices have gone up in the last year.
Sky's price freeze wasn't applied to line rental. If the Openreach cut in line rental cost is forced through by OFCOM then it may not rise but who knows?
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 08:37   #28
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Sky only do 6meg on my area, so unless your close to the exchange sky is a no go.
Old 19-02-2012, 09:48   #29
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Sky only do 6meg on my area, so unless your close to the exchange sky is a no go.
For now they do I only get 9mb with my Sky ADSL line but it allows Netflix HD , iplayer HD and other video sources to be streamed without the constant buffering I got with my VM 30mb connection and saves me a small fortune. People talk about contention now , I wonder how the network would cope if Netflix/Lovefilm were added to TIVO as a deal for XL customers also throw in VM BB customers with Sky+HD TV streaming Anytime+ from Easter , hopefully the VM upgrades will have catered for this explosion in video streaming and should alleviate this problem.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 17:06   #30
moowow!
Inactive

moowow! is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Kippa| View Post
My connection is 50mbit and I use Netflix heavly. I haven't noticed any of my HD streams being turned off/lowerd to standard definition. If you are on a lower package than 50mbit then I would suggest you think about upgrading.
But im paying for a 10MB connection and netflix is not even using half of that! why should i pay for higher speed connection when the connection im paying for is more then powerful enough, its a con making you pay for more speed then you need!
moowow! is offline   Reply With Quote