Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 14:19   #16
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
My thoughts are with those about to loss there jobs
l second that.
Old 01-10-2011, 14:26   #17
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
My thoughts are with those about to loss there jobs
I second that thought and I hope all the CF, VM Albert Dock, members get fixed up with alternative employment quickly. <hugs> to you all.
Old 01-10-2011, 14:50   #18
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I wish them and everyone else facing closures and job redundancy at this time all the luck in the world.
Old 01-10-2011, 17:43   #19
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Thanks guys
Old 02-10-2011, 11:26   #20
StuN
Inactive

StuN is on a distinguished roadStuN is on a distinguished road

The Albert Dock team are brilliant.
Thanks for all your help over the years
Old 02-10-2011, 14:17   #21
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuN View Post
The Albert Dock team are brilliant.
Thanks for all your help over the years
Ditto that.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55   #22
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Hopefully it will help those far too good to be in a call centre to move to something more technically and help them realise their potential.

The job market being so crap, to be honest I'd be happy to see them all in work for now .. so many families, mortgages, some people will get nice pay outs, if redundancy is given .. but I'd rather have a job ..
Old 04-10-2011, 01:51   #23
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

This is upsetting and I wish all employees the best of luck. To any companies in Liverpool reading this; You would do well to hire VM support staff, their UK people are some of the very best I've ever called.

On a practical note, I personally would pay an extra pound or two a month to keep Liverpool office open and retain their valuable support. Am I alone here folks?
Old 04-10-2011, 14:22   #24
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
This is upsetting and I wish all employees the best of luck. To any companies in Liverpool reading this; You would do well to hire VM support staff, their UK people are some of the very best I've ever called.

On a practical note, I personally would pay an extra pound or two a month to keep Liverpool office open and retain their valuable support. Am I alone here folks?
I'd go for that especially if it meant getting rid of the awful off-shored support that let both VM and it's Subs down so badly.
Old 04-10-2011, 17:15   #25
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I really do think that it is counter productive to send call centres offshore. Yes, the overheads are cheaper and the staff easier to manage, but, it takes much longer to sort out issues as many people can't understand what they are saying.

In many cases, they reach the end of their script and book an engineer unneccessarily. I dread to think how much that has cost the company.

This latest sad news about Albert Dock just goes to show how challenging the current economic climate is for all businesses at the moment. As a company director, I have had to make some difficult decisions to improve efficiency and implement austerity measures. Many forecasters are predicting that it will get worse still.

The best advice I can give to the remaining staff is what I told our managers to say at the latest team briefing. Keep your head down and work hard whilst remembering how important the attraction of new and the retention of old customers is.

VM, like the main industry that I am involved with, in the main offers a luxury product that people can live without.

All the best to anyone unfortunate enough to lose their job. If you are affected, please don't take it personally. It is true to say that management use situations like this to get rid of any dead wood, but, it is also inevitable that many decent experienced people lose their jobs too.

Times like this are just as upsetting for management, but tough decisions have to be made to ensure the long term survival of the company for the sake of everybody.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49   #26
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I really do think that it is counter productive to send call centres offshore. Yes, the overheads are cheaper and the staff easier to manage, but, it takes much longer to sort out issues as many people can't understand what they are saying.

In many cases, they reach the end of their script and book an engineer unneccessarily. I dread to think how much that has cost the company.

This latest sad news about Albert Dock just goes to show how challenging the current economic climate is for all businesses at the moment. As a company director, I have had to make some difficult decisions to improve efficiency and implement austerity measures. Many forecasters are predicting that it will get worse still.

The best advice I can give to the remaining staff is what I told our managers to say at the latest team briefing. Keep your head down and work hard whilst remembering how important the attraction of new and the retention of old customers is.

VM, like the main industry that I am involved with, in the main offers a luxury product that people can live without.

All the best to anyone unfortunate enough to lose their job. If you are affected, please don't take it personally. It is true to say that management use situations like this to get rid of any dead wood, but, it is also inevitable that many decent experienced people lose their jobs too.

Times like this are just as upsetting for management, but tough decisions have to be made to ensure the long term survival of the company for the sake of everybody.
You really like to talk about yourself don't you ..
Old 05-10-2011, 13:11   #27
StuN
Inactive

StuN is on a distinguished roadStuN is on a distinguished road

Actually Richard, you couldn't be further from the truth.
Statistics show that when there's a recession, people actually upgrade their media services as they don't go out as much.
Old 05-10-2011, 14:03   #28
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

Broadband has not not been classed a luxury for a very long time as the is such a high demand which can be met by the different ISP's out there.

Quote:
You have no idea of the kind of skill sets that will be lost when this centre closes and any so called "dead wood" are quickly weeded out by virtue of the targets that need to be attained and maintained so you cannot equate this to your business or many others.

Quote:
Times like this are never upsetting for management and most companies find decisions like this all to easy to make.
Old 05-10-2011, 14:46   #29
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
You really like to talk about yourself don't you ..
A perfect example of dead wood. Why would VM want to employ someone who speaks to customers like that and get rid of a valued team member instead? In my experience a period on reduced rate Jobseekers Allowance is often the best cure for such attitudinal problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuN View Post
Actually Richard, you couldn't be further from the truth.
Statistics show that when there's a recession, people actually upgrade their media services as they don't go out as much.
Yes, you do have a point to an extent, but the economic experts say that the economy is set to worsen. Pay TV V feeding your family- no competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Broadband has not not been classed a luxury for a very long time as the is such a high demand which can be met by the different ISP's out there.

Broadband is not an essential service for the vast majority of domestic users, indeed it has only been available in relatively recent times.

You have no idea of the kind of skill sets that will be lost when this centre closes and any so called "dead wood" are quickly weeded out by virtue of the targets that need to be attained and maintained so you cannot equate this to your business or many others.

It is unfortunate when those with skills have to be let go, as, has happened in past recessions, the same people have often moved on and are no longer available.

Times like this are never upsetting for management and most companies find decisions like this all to easy to make.
Nonsense, I have met a number of VM senior management. They understand the human cost of such action, however necessary it may be.

It is important to remember that management have to maintain a public face, but also have a private side to their lives. I tend to meet them during social occasions and many have expressed their regret at having to make the various forthcoming efficiency measures.

Management are not devoid of all emotion and a little understanding would be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Not sure what happened there lol, my responses appear to have been absorbed into your message masque!
Old 05-10-2011, 14:57   #30
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
A perfect example of dead wood. Why would VM want to employ someone who speaks to customers like that and get rid of a valued team member instead? In my experience a period on reduced rate Jobseekers Allowance is often the best cure for such attitudinal problems.
Richard, I for one am quite sick of your aggressive, bullying attitude towards members of this forum that are identifiable as virgin employees.

Let me make something crystal clear to you: they are here in their own time and are free to share their own opinions. This is something that members of this forum team established many years ago when some of us met senior management and it is something I believe that some, at least, of our members have established directly with their own managers.

Nopanic is not here to represent the company and he is not here to treat you as his customer. You are not here to get customer service from Virgin Media. If you want people to crawl and cringe all over you, by all means clear off and find another forum where your ego might get the stroking it seems to need.

And no, I will not be deleting this post, as I deleted my previous comments aimed at you, because this time I've taken the precaution of checking that the thread hasn't been closed while I've been composing it. Which is the only reason I withdrew my suggestion that you live in a fantasy universe. Etc.

So, off you go, you know where the 'whinge about this post' button is.
Closed Thread