Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CF: Clickers Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

CF: Clickers Corner

Old 03-08-2009, 18:13   #31
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Re: CF: Clickers Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I can't really go for anything over £800 so the £1000+ range of camera's are untouchable for me.
I'm thinking £500-£800. Depends how much I want to put on credit card or save up lol.

I've read that DSLR's tend to have different sized sensors but I guess at my prce point I shouldnt really worry about that?
From a quick browse the other day I seem to quite like the Nikon range.

Once I buy a DSLR, do I need to buy addional lenses or are the packaged ones not bad?
Also, are all lenses compatible?
A little like motherboards, I don't want a motherboard that won't take the new CPU.

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your help.
I was actually looking at the D80 the other day but maybe is it worth waiting for this new D3000?
The sensor size plays a large part in the quality of the image, full size 35mm (43mmx36mm) sensors are found on the D700 and D3x (25 megapixel approx) which explains their prices. Most of the cameras in your price band are APS-C (30mmx25mm) and 10-12 megapixel.

The 18-105 kit lens that comes with the Nikon D90 is very good as is the other option I've seen the 18-55. All Nikon lenses made over the last fifty years will work to some extent with all modern Nikon cameras. Third party Nikon fit lenses are available from Tamaron, Tokina and Sigma (to name three). You can't put a Canon lens on a Nikon camera or vice versa (that would be to easy on the customer wouldn't it).

The D3000 is the replacement for the D60 and looks like it's going to be an ideal camera for the new DSLR owner. The D90 is the replacement for the D80.
http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/.../overview.html

If you want video then the D5000 is an option, the D3000 doesn't have it.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2009, 18:48   #32
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
All modern DSLR's have a Program mode where the camera does everything for you, once you've got the hang of that you can try the other settings:
Aperture - you set the f stop the camera does the rest (useful to get rid of distracting background by limiting the Depth of field - DOF - f5.6 has less DOF than f22 for instance).
Shutter - You set the shutter speed the camera does the rest (useful to capture fast moving objects).
Manual - You set shutter and f stop.

You normally see these called the PASM set. You will also have Scene modes where the camera is set up for landscape, night time etc.
I wish there was a smilie that illustrated my glazed eyes expression. LOL DW when I get a camera in my hand you can talk me through a few shots, until then you seem to be talking in a foreign language..

Quote:
I would rather buy new over second-hand, you never know what sort of use the camera has had, modern cameras are really small computers and expensive to repair.
I thought that if I picked one with no sign of wear, and from a reputable dealer who gave a few weeks warranty I could be on to a winner there. It worked with my last car.

Quote:
The Olympus E-420 has had good reviews (What Digital Camera give it 86%).
I don't think it will take the OM10 lenses as it uses the new Four Thirds mount. The Sony A200 might be worth a look (What Digital Camera give it 89%), Amazon have it for £284 - http://bit.ly/3PzqU3
I will have a look at the Sony. I need to be able to feel the camera in my hand and see how the weight of the lenses alters the balance before I buy anything so I guess I will be visiting a few Camera Shops over the coming weeks. Cue enormous resigned sigh from John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir John Luke View Post
E-bay. Never felt to happy dealing with anyone I couldn't look in the eye, and I think I would also rather see the camera I was buying if it was already described as refurbished. Is there any particular Canon starter model you would recommend if I was to buy from new?
Old 03-08-2009, 20:59   #33
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I wish there was a smilie that illustrated my glazed eyes expression. LOL DW when I get a camera in my hand you can talk me through a few shots, until then you seem to be talking in a foreign language..
I know it looks like some arcane gobbledy-gook but it's easy enough once you can take some photo's and see the differences first hand.

With modern metering systems being so good you could leave the camera on automatic and not miss out on too much, It's only when you want to be creative with your photography that you have to concern yourself with setting the aperture and speed yourself.

Take Depth of field (DoF) as an example, it really means how much of the photo is in focus. If you are taking a photo of a flower and the background is a distraction, using a shallow DoF you can keep the flower in focus and make the background out of focus. Example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deltawh...27354/sizes/l/

The wider the shutter is open the less DoF you have, conversely the smaller the shutter opening the more DoF. So setting the aperture to f8 in the example photo allowed me to get the flower in focus and blur the background. If I'd set the aperture to f5.6 or less some of the flower would be out of focus (as the leaf nearest to you actually is), I should have probably used f12 or f16 but I wanted to lose that background, it's all about compromise.
Old 03-08-2009, 21:06   #34
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Very happy with my Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ28 which is one step down from an SLR without all the fiddles of changing lenses, and if you like better quality pictures without the fuss it seems to fit the bill.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 21:12   #35
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Very happy with my Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ28 which is one step down from an SLR without all the fiddles of changing lenses, and if you like better quality pictures without the fuss it seems to fit the bill.
It's a lovely camera with its 18x optical zoom, it got a great review here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...ix-DMC-FZ28/p1

Worth a look for anyone wanting something better than a point-and-shoot, but not wanting to go down the interchangeable lens route.
Old 03-08-2009, 22:44   #36
jabtas
Inactive

jabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud of

My kit as it was a few years ago

I have since added a Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

I have an extensive online gallery, if you so wish, feel free to have a look

www.pbase.com/jabtas
jabtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 23:06   #37
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabtas View Post
<snip>

I have an extensive online gallery, if you so wish, feel free to have a look

www.pbase.com/jabtas
I have enjoyed dipping into your Gallery.

I like the Virtual Photographer Conversions, very interesting effects and I could almost use your Fireworks Photographs as templates for my canvases, Not that I would of course.
Old 03-08-2009, 23:09   #38
jabtas
Inactive

jabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud ofjabtas has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I have enjoyed dipping into your Gallery.

I like the Virtual Photographer Conversions, very interesting effects and I could almost use your Fireworks Photographs as templates for my canvases, Not that I would of course.
If you let me know which you would like to play with, I can send you a full size copy
Old 03-08-2009, 23:11   #39
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Don't I need PhotoShop?
Old 03-08-2009, 23:15   #40
jabtas
Inactive

Depends what you intend to do with it, I would just send a jpg file

I do take all my shots in RAW, but then convert to jpg
Old 03-08-2009, 23:38   #41
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabtas View Post
Depends what you intend to do with it, I would just send a jpg file

I do take all my shots in RAW, but then convert to jpg
Please talk slowly and in words of one syllable. I don't do photography technical and don't know what you mean by in RAW.

I have rarely bothered manipulating the bulk of my photos as I use them as aide-mémoirs in my work, any other photos I take I just store in my photo files in Picasa. Would I be able to use your application on photos I have already saved or would I have to take new photos and save them in a different way?

I have restored some old B&W photos and done some freehand re-colouring all using Paintshop Pro and am happy with the results so I am not totally inept just partially so.
Old 03-08-2009, 23:41   #42
jabtas
Inactive

Forget RAW, for now
RAW is just a format that cameras use to produce images, in this case its not important

The pics you already have taken (digi camera I assume) and stored in Picasa, will be in jpg format

If I sent you one of mine, you could treat it as you do any of the other phots you currently have stored
Old 03-08-2009, 23:50   #43
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Yes they are stored as jpg images. Can you send the jpg file and I will have a play.

OK have googled RAW. I take it that my choices of new camera will probably not be advanced enough to take pictures in the RAW? So maybe I had better stay with Paintshop.
Old 04-08-2009, 00:10   #44
jabtas
Inactive

Which pic would you like sending

Really need to go to bed have to be up at 4:30

I will send it over tomorrow aftnoon
Old 04-08-2009, 00:15   #45
joglynne
Born again teenager.

You choose one that you think a rank amateur would have the most fun with. Thanks for humouring me. Sleep tight.