Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Dynamic or Static?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Connection Dropping On Heavy Usage

Old 12-01-2008, 23:55   #1
LTheobald
Inactive

LTheobald is an unknown quantity at this point
Connection Dropping On Heavy Usage

Hi all,

First I want to apologise if this has been answered elsewhere on the forum. I did a search around but I couldn't see a solution. I've had this problem for a while (back when Virgin Media was still NTL) and have never got round to shorting it out properly. I did try contacting NTL about it but the guy in the call center at India couldn't help me if the problem wasn't occurring in Internet Explorer. The support at Virgin seems much better so I may try them on Monday if nobody here has any suggestions.

When my connection is used heavily by various different sources, my connection drops out and I have to power it down then back up for the connection to reset itself. Some of the examples when I get a connection drop:
  • Trying to download something via a torrent client (e.g. linux distro)
  • World Of Warcraft updater (also uses bittorrent technology I believe)
  • Using 4OD (Channel 4's on demand service)
  • Downloading games via my XBox

It's not instant. The connection seems to drop after a random amount of time.

It's can't be a PC issue as it's happening on my XBox too. I've got a NetGear router plugged into my setup but I can recreate the problems with that router taken out the loop. So it's looking it's something modem related. My modem is an NTL Home 120 (power levels etc. will be at the end of the post).

It looks like if I severely limit up upload on my bittorrent client, it helps the connection last longer but I still have issues. Plus I can't limit my upload on everything (e.g. XBox 360).

Here's some more info on my modem/line:

Modem Info
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
IP address : 10.128.192.59
Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.56 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 34.68 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 55.00 dBmv

Line quality test
All passed with 0% packet loss - http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2334188

Speed Test
Speed Test #43662907 by dslreports.com
Run: 2008-01-12 17:43:39 EST
Download: 708 (Kbps)
Upload: 699 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 86.5 down 85.3 up
Tested by server: 50 java
User: 1430539 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: ntl.com
Compared to the average of 101 tests from ntl.com:
* download is 48% worse, upload is 144% better

I'm going to go attempt to download something on the XBox now and I'll see what IP address I get assigned when the connection drops and I try to renew, incase that helps.

Cheers for any help/info,
Lee
LTheobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2008, 00:14   #2
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Re: Connection Dropping On Heavy Usage

to the forum

Your downstream is a little low this should be +/- 3dBmv and your upstream is a little high. There have been a lot of issues with the 120 modems so I would suggest that you get onto them about getting a modem swap. Ring them or post your issue in the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable newsgroup, saves you paying 25p/m. Someone else might be able to give further info.
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 00:48   #3
vaidast
Inactive

vaidast is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

i have problems with Virgin media too.
Before I was using telewest. was quite good. then i moved and in new area already was virgin (before here was ntl).
I signed for L size broadband.
after some time of using, realised that speed is quite low. I checked on virgin’s page upgrade section. they like checked my modem gave me 2 options: size L and XL.
means i had size M.
I called to customer service to ask about that, and lady was keeping assert that I on size L.
after 20 min argues I gave up.
I just by my self change broadband size on those page.
and what you thing, I’ve got my normal speed same moment.
Today another situation. Actually from yesterday, my broadband speed was really slow. I've tried couple of times reboot modem and router (I sit on wireless). Nothing happens. After last reboot, i called again to customer service (that expensive line). Lady keep asking me to reboot modem and connect computer direct by cable. Dammn, i live in 3rd floor and use desktop computer. My modem and router in first floor. I just can't do this.
again... I am not too patient. ..drop the phone.
but you wouldn't believe, after I reboot one more time modem, my speed jumped to the sky...

Magic??? Probably.
... or just cheaty trick...

I already start to think to change provider.
You can have a look to virgins site. they started to reduce speed for users, who downloading more then average user.
Sorry, but I signet for unlimited download..
They braking those own agreement....
vaidast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 01:26   #4
mark_hamilton
Inactive

Services: VIP Virgin+ TV Service 20meg Broadband
mark_hamilton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mark_hamilton

i dont know much but i would say the problem lies with the ambit modem....as i had same probs...and i rang ntl, they sent a new modem, ntl 250 one, never had a problem since virgin did announce a problem with them and that they needed to be replaced...
mark_hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 17:56   #5
Down the Pub
Inactive

Services: Phone/TV/50meg
Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaidast View Post
You can have a look to virgins site. they started to reduce speed for users, who downloading more then average user.
but it is unlimited, the throttling only comes into effect between 4-9pm. it doesn't stop u downloading at all as it just reigns in your downstream speed for 5 hours, although if you hit the cap at say 8.59pm then you will still incur a 5 hour cap untill 1.59am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaidast View Post
think you'll find they not at all.
Down the Pub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 23:15   #6
Mauldor
Inactive

Services: 50mbit, Base TV, Base Phone
Mauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of light

I think this fits in with my fault, so I'll tap on to the end of this thread if you don't mind.

I am on 4mbit and a ye old S4100 Modem (stand alone) and recently I have noticed that as soon as I start to do anything on the line such as Downloading a File, maybe get a torrent (with max 10k upload - my upload speed is about 40k i think) or try and get something from the newsgroups - what happens is everyting else is 100% unresponsive and I cannot browse the net until stop the download / upload and wait for a while.

Now I watched grabbing from NTL Newsgroups at 1am, which we agree is outside the Throttling - it starts off full speed, halfs and then halfs again (so 400, 200, 100) and finally it stops dead.

From my reading of the forum, I was to understand that it picks the top 5%, throttles them down to half for 4 hours (which is not the case) and does this again and again. I see this as Silly if this is really what is happening and personally my connection is almost un-usable unless all I do is send emails (long as no attachments) and browse web site.
Mauldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 23:31   #7
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

The System is that if you download over x amount between 4pm and 9pm your connection gets dropped to x speed for 5 hours

XL: If you download more than 3GB or upload more than 1250MB between 4pm and 9pm your download speed will be dropped to 5Mb and Upload speed will be dropped to 192Kb for 5 hours

L: If you download more than 800MB or upload more than 325MB between 4pm and 9pm your download speed will be dropped to 1Mb and Upload speed will be dropped to 128Kb for 5 hours

M: If you download more than 300MB or upload more than 150MB between 4pm and 9pm your download speed will be dropped to 1Mb and Upload speed will be dropped to 128Kb for 5 hours

Info at: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...t/traffic.html
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 00:53   #8
Mauldor
Inactive

Mauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of lightMauldor is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_b View Post
The System is that if you download over x amount between 4pm and 9pm your connection gets dropped to x speed for 5 hours

XL: If you download more than 3GB or upload more than 1250MB between 4pm and 9pm your download speed will be dropped to 5Mb and Upload speed will be dropped to 192Kb for 5 hours

L: If you download more than 800MB or upload more than 325MB between 4pm and 9pm your download speed will be dropped to 1Mb and Upload speed will be dropped to 128Kb for 5 hours

M: If you download more than 300MB or upload more than 150MB between 4pm and 9pm your download speed will be dropped to 1Mb and Upload speed will be dropped to 128Kb for 5 hours

Info at: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...t/traffic.html
The Above is Not what is happening in real life, at 11:30Pm (tonight), I started to grab an ISO of Ubuntu via a Download Manager with many Links, 10 Minutes into the download and my connection starts to Half and slow down, browsing becomes almost un-workable until I Pause the download.

Your Throttling System is not working as Intended.
Old 14-01-2008, 05:43   #9
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauldor View Post
The Above is Not what is happening in real life, at 11:30Pm (tonight), I started to grab an ISO of Ubuntu via a Download Manager with many Links, 10 Minutes into the download and my connection starts to Half and slow down, browsing becomes almost un-workable until I Pause the download.

Your Throttling System is not working as Intended.
Maybe this has nothing to do with it but I recall reading on some forum about someone with similar symptoms. It turned out to be an issue with a version of the download manager he was using.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 12:33   #10
Mauldor
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Maybe this has nothing to do with it but I recall reading on some forum about someone with similar symptoms. It turned out to be an issue with a version of the download manager he was using.
I never noticed the Issue before until the end of 2007 - I generally hardly touch Torrents and News Group (NTL One), downloading is Light but Patches, Game Updates etc do kick in from time to time. The only change of Habit on my part is that I have started to pop along to Ustream to both Watch stream's and also on occasion, broadcast myself - this only sending one lot of data to Ustream server not everyone who watches.

I do not understand why the Throttling Stops at 9pm but if you are breech, you can be cut back all the way to 2am if you do it wrong. What Data is classed in that total, is that ANY data in or out or are they able to work out your downloading or doing something on the web??

I am seriously now thinking of moving, even if ASDL does the same thing, I would rather not be paying £30 for this.

Update: I have just Cancelled my broadband after the many offers of £10 a month for 2mbit (why??), I would rather pay £10 a month and get a crap connection then £30, no amount of Half price for 3 Months is going to help this time.
Old 14-01-2008, 14:01   #11
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

What Data is classed in that total, is that ANY data in or out or are they able to work out your downloading or doing something on the web??

Any and all data. Upload and download.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 14:41   #12
Mauldor
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningmags View Post
What Data is classed in that total, is that ANY data in or out or are they able to work out your downloading or doing something on the web??

Any and all data. Upload and download.
Speaking to the Disconnections Guy (Retentions?), he said it is Throttles up to 11pm NOT 9pm and this includes ANY data both in and out. Not saying he is correct but this is what he told me.
Old 14-01-2008, 14:59   #13
philyb
Inactive

philyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering, did you get a "limited or no connection" message? I had this after heavy usage, but it stopped after I got it twice..
philyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 18:28   #14
Down the Pub
Inactive

Services: Phone/TV/50meg
Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauldor View Post
Speaking to the Disconnections Guy (Retentions?), he said it is Throttles up to 11pm NOT 9pm and this includes ANY data both in and out. Not saying he is correct but this is what he told me.

well they need to get their house in order, he say's it's 11pm (wasn't that the old stm end time?) and vm's site which states 9pm.

.................................................. .............ars8 and elbow spring to mind
Down the Pub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 18:34   #15
ianewest
Inactive

ianewest is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had problems for months with downloads going slower and slower until they stop, and not just at the "peak" times (whatever they are). I spent ages on the "help" line on several occasions - every time they assured me that my modem (a Terayon) was fine until finally, last week, I persuaded them to replace it, since when everything has been great.

Ian
ianewest is offline   Reply With Quote