Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | is there no v+ boxes for new customers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

is there no v+ boxes for new customers

Old 26-04-2012, 09:26   #1
RobTi
Inactive

RobTi is an unknown quantity at this point
is there no v+ boxes for new customers

Hi i was looking to sign up my parents and looking at the new bundles it looks like you only get a V HD box with no recording options unless you upgrade to a tivo.

Is this correct or am i reading it wrong

Thanks

Robert
RobTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2012, 09:31   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: is there no v+ boxes for new customers

Yes TiVo is now the standard pvr box on VM.
Old 26-04-2012, 09:31   #3
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

No VM stopped giving out V+ boxes to new customers a while ago,if you want a box that records TiVo is now the only option for new customers.
Old 26-04-2012, 09:33   #4
RobTi
Inactive

Oh well don't think it will be virgin then, not paying an extra £5 just to record

Thanks for the replies

Robert
Old 26-04-2012, 09:40   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

On the new Collections, you don't pay an extra £5.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 10:03   #6
RobTi
Inactive

Thanks for that not well laid out on the web page then.

Will go over it again

Robert
Old 26-04-2012, 12:14   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTi View Post
Oh well don't think it will be virgin then, not paying an extra £5 just to record

Thanks for the replies

Robert
Just to point out as well, the V+HD cost £5 a month on M+ and L, so with the Collections TiVo is likely cheaper than the V+HD was
Old 26-04-2012, 13:53   #8
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Just to point out as well, the V+HD cost £5 a month on M+ and L, so with the Collections TiVo is likely cheaper than the V+HD was
The best reason I can think to have one - lower price
Old 27-04-2012, 21:24   #9
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

yep V+ was stopped back in February, we only carry them as replacements (and thats very very rare)
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 00:41   #10
RobTi
Inactive

So what happens when a v+hd is in a second room and breaks will it get replaced with a tivo free of charge

Robert
Old 28-04-2012, 00:55   #11
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

I wondered that too. Not long had Tivo installed and kept V+ for the bedroom. If it dies will I be stuck with a VHD box?
Old 28-04-2012, 07:41   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
I wondered that too. Not long had Tivo installed and kept V+ for the bedroom. If it dies will I be stuck with a VHD box?
No a refurbished v+

---------- Post added at 06:41 ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 ----------

Quote:
So what happens when a v+hd is in a second room and breaks will it get replaced with a tivo free of charge

Robert
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 12:24   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's true, before the Collections I was thinking of downgrading TV as the main reason I got a XL TV was to avoid the £5 charge, but the Tivo charge is levied regardless of TV package.

Quote:

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
I wondered that too. I suspect that, as V+ will slowly be made redundant, they will eventually drop Tivo software onto the V Boxes and switch off the V+. As most will be the free 2nd box by this time, VM will argue that customers had been getting it for nothing anyway if/when they complain. Perhaps by then they will sweeten it with offers for 2nd Tivo boxes?.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 13:44   #14
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

VM believe Tivo are the future thats why no V+ Boxes
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 14:17   #15
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
VM believe Tivo are the future thats why no V+ Boxes
Once the V+ boxes are gone, VM can move to Mpeg4, which will give us more recording capacity and be beneficial for network capacity. They can also move all remaining boxes onto Tivo software, elimiting the need for two different software systems. So you can see why VM have good reasons to do this.

There is a valid argument though, that VM should have kept the V+ as an option until the V+ missing features (full red button and Reminders) were available on tivo. Those missing features don't bother me, but they do others.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote