Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock
Closed Thread

Old 30-09-2011, 16:59   #1
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

So sayeth El Reg.

Quote:
Virgin Media is closing its outsourced call centre in Albert Dock, Liverpool, and "consolidating" its operations by shifting to an existing site in Swansea.

The telco said it hoped to "create a new in-house centre of excellence for customer management in Swansea".

VM's two sites are run by IBM and its contract partners Adecco and Manpower.

Staff at the centres are being told this afternoon about the Albert Dock closure and the move to Matrix Court, Swansea.

The headcount at the Liverpool office currently stands at 435 contractors, while Swansea has 680 people on its books.
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2011, 17:04   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

Should point out this bit too:

Quote:
"Subject to consultation, all staff at the Swansea site with roles that map to Virgin Media’s existing organisational structure will transfer to Virgin Media under TUPE, with other roles to be discussed as part of the consultation," said VM.
Old 30-09-2011, 18:04   #3
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Old 30-09-2011, 18:35   #4
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I really hate this current economic climate , is there ever going to be good news , coming in the same week as the BAE job cuts. I hope nobody on here will be affected by this.
Old 30-09-2011, 18:41   #5
vmfriend
Inactive

vmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Should point out this bit too:
How many people, in reality, can move/would want to move from Liverpool to Swansea, it's not really a commutable distance.
Old 30-09-2011, 18:44   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Directly employed VM people may be able to Knowsley, or Wythenshawe. Also Virgin are still recruiting Mobile Customer Service staff at Wythenshawe so IBM employed people may be able to apply for those roles

Saying that of course it's going to be a difficult time for those affected, as it always is when a building closes
Old 30-09-2011, 18:45   #7
vmfriend
Inactive

vmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nice

There was a comment on El Reg about job losses at Knowsley as well.

Edit : actually depends on how you read it, it might mean jobs available :-/
Old 30-09-2011, 18:52   #8
freeair
Inactive

freeair is on a distinguished roadfreeair is on a distinguished road

In this current economic climate feel sorry for those affected but I guess that's the risk when employed as a contractor.
Good luck to all affected.
Old 30-09-2011, 19:09   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Some more about it from the Liverpool echo.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-29515192/
Old 30-09-2011, 19:17   #10
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

My thoughts are with those about to loss there jobs

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 30-09-2011, 19:23   #11
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

BBC News:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-15130211

Quote:
Virgin Media is to close its call centre at Liverpool's Albert Dock, it has announced.

Work handled by the centre, which employs 435 staff, will be transferred to its site in Swansea, south Wales.

Virgin said those staff it employed directly in Liverpool could be redeployed to Swansea or at sister sites in Manchester or Knowsley.

A spokesman for the company said a 90-day consultation period was now under way.

The current sites in Liverpool and Swansea are operated by IBM and their contract partners Adecco and Manpower.

The consolidated base in Swansea will move all operations in-house.

Of the 680 posts at the current Swansea site, it is understood that at least 600 will remain.
Old 30-09-2011, 19:37   #12
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Some more about it from the Liverpool echo.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-29515192/
Hope you find some where m8 and if you get one of the jobs at Concord nip down stairs and have a chat.

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Sad news m8

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 30-09-2011, 23:07   #13
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I hope you guys here make it throughto somewhere good.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 30-09-2011, 23:45   #14
Tech_Boy
Inactive

Services: Inhumations, for the right price
Tech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpack

Sorry to all the guys and girls loosing their jobs in Liverpool, I am amazed that it took them so long to close Albert dock.
It is a listed building, with no room for expansion, and was costing a fortune to run and rent.

Matrix Ct has room for expansion, and is owned by VM, when I "Left (pushed, that's a whole different story regarding taking Broadband support away from us, and giving us the truly dire ADSHell to support )" half the building was mothballed.

VM have lost a very large number of the "old heads" from Swansea due to a number of inept decisions and idiotic Moronpower actions, quite a few are now working with me in Bridgend. Most of us knew the network inside and out, and could spot a potential outage without having to book pointless engineers (if there was an efficient way of doing something or a Telewest way, the efficient way always got binned).

Good luck to VM, in finding staff, it seems like half of Swansea has worked there at one time or another, and wouldn't ever go back.
Old 01-10-2011, 14:09   #15
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

feel sorry for the staff who work at albert dock. any time i had a problem with my service majority of the time retentions put me through to liverpool. being from liverpool was perfect for me as i could understand the staff clearly unlike india hope most of them find jobs locally in the north west as it going to swansea everyday isn't viable for most ppl who work there as they are local to merseyside or north west area. stupid move by VM most vm staff in liverpool no what they are talking about unlike india.
Closed Thread