Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 5.1 surround sound.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

5.1 surround sound.

Old 04-07-2008, 19:04   #1
ricky1231
Inactive

ricky1231 is an unknown quantity at this point
5.1 surround sound.

hello cable forum.

ive recently purchased a 5.1 surround sound, this includes the front, rear, subwoofer, however im wanting to connect this to my TV, altho i only have the usual connections, scart, and the yellow and red, white thing, each of the wires on the surround sound have a white and red adaptor, so im only able to plug one in but i get no sound,

what kind of wire do i need to get this to work with my tv.
( im not bothered about true 5.1 sound ) just all speakers to work

thanks if u can help.

richy
ricky1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2008, 19:20   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 5.1 surround sound.

Unless the 5.1 has a surround sound emulation then the normal stereo output from a TV will only drive the Left and right speaker (and sometimes the bass)

5.1 systems really are designed to accept either 5.1 co-axial/optical inputs or seperate channels per input (which is what you seem to describe) which are supplied via a 5.1 source (satellite/DVD coax/optical output) where as TV's tend to work purely in Stereo on thier scart or audio out connectors

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 19:26   #3
ricky1231
Inactive

so mine is useless unless i buy a dvd player that can use it?

is there no wires that can transform it all into 1 wire were all speakers will work giveing the same sound, ( sorry complete noOb at this)

what would be the easiest way to get it to work with the tv? as i dont tend to watch dvds or satellite tv,
Old 04-07-2008, 19:28   #4
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

Have you got a Amplifier (aka: AMP)? Just the speakers wont work. You need something to sit between the 5.1 & TV/DVD/PS3

I have my Denon AMP connected to my 5.1 & Sony 40" TV.
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 19:31   #5
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age

think your best idea would be to buy a cheap surround sound amp , it may be possible to connect all the wires as one (with a complete botch job) but you would still probably need an amp as there would not be enough power , could you run it through your stereo?

damn ^^ beaten to it
Old 04-07-2008, 19:31   #6
ricky1231
Inactive

no, can you explain,

would the 5.1 connect to the amp? and then the amp to the tv?
Old 04-07-2008, 19:36   #7
Bulky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky1231 View Post
no, can you explain,

would the 5.1 connect to the amp? and then the amp to the tv?
all the speakers plug into the amp , then the amp is connected to the tv via optical or co-ax connection
Old 04-07-2008, 19:40   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

OK, before you even think about an AMP you'll probably find that the 5.1 system has an AMP built in...

My 5.1 system as well as the 5.1 seperate inputs has also a stereo input that allows a 2 speaker system to come through all the speakers which I use for standard TV, my SAT and DVD goes through a Cambridge Audio V500 to convert the optical/co-axial to seperate outputs, but not all have stereo input or emulation. Not much you can do about it if yours hasn;t unless there is such a thing as a 2 to 5.1 convertor which would take your stereo system and emulate a 5.1 signal from it.

Kymmy

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkylad View Post
all the speakers plug into the amp , then the amp is connected to the tv via optical or co-ax connection
From the OP's first post sounds like it's just a stereo TV with NO co-ax/optical
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 19:43   #9
ricky1231
Inactive

would a picture of the back of the 5.1 surround be easier to show?

how much is a cheap amp as it was only a cheap 5.1 as its nothing fancy just for bedroom,

and yeah i dont think there is a co-ax/optical ( what ever that is) on the tv.
Old 04-07-2008, 21:20   #10
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

What make & model is your surround sound system?

What's your TV?

If you don't tend to watch DVDs though, I'm not sure there's much point in it really?

What do you watch?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 21:43   #11
ricky1231
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
What make & model is your surround sound system?

What's your TV?

If you don't tend to watch DVDs though, I'm not sure there's much point in it really?

What do you watch?
surround sound is this one here : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mikomi-5.1-Hom...07030922a30819

was only cheap as its just bedroom,

tv is old, wharfedale dont no the model for it, but its not got none of the new hightech stuff on it,

have a freeview box pluged in by scart lead, so just watch the basic channels on that with film 4/ music channels most,

and thought of getting 5.1 as the sound was tinny and well.. was a bargain, .... well if i get it working lol

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

this forum is helpful
Old 04-07-2008, 22:33   #12
homealone

Hi, I can't find any information on what sound input sockets are available on the subwoofer, to which, presumably, the speakers are connected?

If there is only a digital connector, either coax or optical (or both), then the speakers are designed to only work with a decoded digital signal. This will not work with either the tv or the freeview box.

If, however, there are 3.5mm 'front & back' sound inputs, or phono jacks for 2 channel stereo, you may have better luck, as you will be able to get leads to connect either the headphone socket on the TV, or the stereo sound output jacks on the freeview box.

The best you can hope for with that kind of setup is a front & back mirrored stereo sound, with the low frequencies downmixed to the subwoofer.

- however a decent set of powered stereo speakers would probably be just as good & a lot easier to connect.
Old 04-07-2008, 22:47   #13
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Very much doubt that Mikomi thing is a proper DD 5.1 system.

Looks like a cheap PC-type surround sound system, so probably has either phono or 3.5mm inputs as Homealone said. Probably just gives something like Dolby Pro Logic (or maybe DPL II as it claims to be "5.1").

But, having said that, that's probably better for you as Homealone said, as a DD system using optical or coax inputs would be rather pointless for you. You should be able to hook your Mikomi thing up. Can you post a pic of the inputs on the back
Old 04-07-2008, 23:08   #14
ricky1231
Inactive

i've attached the picture of the back as requested
Old 04-07-2008, 23:14   #15
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Erm, that's a bit blurry!