Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media for Pubs?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media for Pubs?

Old 12-05-2008, 19:30   #1
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of
Virgin Media for Pubs?

I tried to find a part for this on the site, and Google, but found nothing.

Is there a pricing structure for this? Its something we are looking into in the future, but when we manage to get into a Public House, we want to pay the least to show Football in the Pub, and I have heard Sky is a lot of money.

Cheers!
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2008, 19:33   #2
Losttheplot

Re: Virgin Media for Pubs?

Sky won't let you show the games in a commercial premises without extracting a good wedge from you. If Virgin do do commercial premises, then they will have to charge you Sky's commercial rates for the channels.
Old 12-05-2008, 19:38   #3
grabbi
Inactive

grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of

And they wonder why many Pubs pick European Digital.

http://business.sky.com/pubs_packages.asp
Old 12-05-2008, 19:38   #4
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
Sky won't let you show the games in a commercial premises without extracting a good wedge from you. If Virgin do do commercial premises, then they will have to charge you Sky's commercial rates for the channels.

.....or Setanta's?
Old 12-05-2008, 19:44   #5
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbi View Post
And they wonder why many Pubs pick European Digital.

http://business.sky.com/pubs_packages.asp
Pubs show football to bring in punters don't they? Sky are just making sure they grab their share.

No idea if commercial premises pay more for Setantas channels though.
Old 12-05-2008, 19:53   #6
grabbi
Inactive

I know footie pulls the punters, but dont you think its a little over the top?

I mean, Price of a pint, £2.50. Punters, 80, lets say. 2 Pints per head. £400. 4 Weekends in a Month, £1,600. Sky request £2,585 for the Full Sky Pack, including Setanta Sports.

For an extra £5, you can upgrade to Sky HD.

So, £1,000 profit a month from one establishment to provide them with Sports and Entertainment? And thats satisfactory?
Old 12-05-2008, 20:00   #7
Losttheplot

Quote:
I know footie pulls the punters, but dont you think its a little over the top?

I mean, Price of a pint, £2.50. Punters, 80, lets say. 2 Pints per head. £400. 4 Weekends in a Month, £1,600. Sky request £2,585 for the Full Sky Pack, including Setanta Sports.

For an extra £5, you can upgrade to Sky HD.

So, £1,000 profit a month from one establishment to provide them with Sports and Entertainment? And thats satisfactory?
Its supply and demand. Sky can only get away with it as some places are willing to pay their prices. Its a big business, so thats why Sky Pub sports channels get their own onscreen pint glass graphic so simple checks can be done anonymously by someone popping in for a pint.
Old 12-05-2008, 20:44   #8
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Why not forget the football on Tv altogether and create a team in your pub to play against each other. Ofcourse, you are there for the pre-match drinks, the good food to get the team fit and healthy and then the victory drinks at the end. Everyone's happy.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 22:05   #9
grabbi
Inactive

Lets just say when it comes to football, I have some ideas and prizes planned.

Just wanted to get the Footie in there for the peeps to watch. Its a shame its expensive, but if we got somewhere that pulled profit of a margin in which we could have all the cake and eat it, we'd get the Sports channels.

At the moment, though, I think that remains the last Priority. Two and a half grand is a lot of money to lose a month... so Id have to make sure we pulled in the heads to pay for the demand.

I suppose the only thing to look forward to is the next round of bidding wars for the rights.

You never know, Sky might lost most or all the rights, and then I'd be in a sticky situation trying to find a new deal.
Old 13-05-2008, 02:13   #10
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
with Sky you have to get a special licence which i red somewhere costs £400 p/w a pub in the UK brought a subscription to Sky from an overseas retailer on the internet & got sued by Sky for doing so. Sky have a channel for pubs called The Pub Channel. i used to live next to a pub & they had NTL so you can get it but i dont know anymore info about it sorry.

---------- Post added at 01:13 ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 ----------

Quote:
Lets just say when it comes to football, I have some ideas and prizes planned.

Just wanted to get the Footie in there for the peeps to watch. Its a shame its expensive, but if we got somewhere that pulled profit of a margin in which we could have all the cake and eat it, we'd get the Sports channels.

At the moment, though, I think that remains the last Priority. Two and a half grand is a lot of money to lose a month... so Id have to make sure we pulled in the heads to pay for the demand.

I suppose the only thing to look forward to is the next round of bidding wars for the rights.

You never know, Sky might lost most or all the rights, and then I'd be in a sticky situation trying to find a new deal.
? why dont you buy a subscription to a European satellite tv operator ? although officially you cant subscribe to them official cards can be brought on the internet & as your not living in their country they cant fine or charge you more for being a pub. also it'l cost alot less then Sky or VM would charge you Premiere Sport 1 & Premiere Sport 2 are examples. if you want English commentary Arab or African channels are the ones to go for. there are also some FTA sports channels: Dubai Sports Channel, NASN Europe, Al Jazeera Sports, Al Jazeera Sports 2, NBA Action, NBA TV, Fox Sports Africa, Gear One, Xleague.tv, Audi Channel, The Fight Network, Eurosport & Eurosport 2. have a look here for whats out there & on what satellites they are on: http://en.kingofsat.net/
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 02:15   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

NTL stopped doing commercial subscriptions for TV in 2006. Just wasn't financially viable, as the only reason most places had it was for Sports and Sky make all the profit on that lol
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 02:34   #12
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

ah ok then i didnt know that.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 15:05   #13
grabbi
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
? why dont you buy a subscription to a European satellite tv operator ? although officially you cant subscribe to them official cards can be brought on the internet & as your not living in their country they cant fine or charge you more for being a pub. also it'l cost alot less then Sky or VM would charge you Premiere Sport 1 & Premiere Sport 2 are examples. if you want English commentary Arab or African channels are the ones to go for. there are also some FTA sports channels: Dubai Sports Channel, NASN Europe, Al Jazeera Sports, Al Jazeera Sports 2, NBA Action, NBA TV, Fox Sports Africa, Gear One, Xleague.tv, Audi Channel, The Fight Network, Eurosport & Eurosport 2. have a look here for whats out there & on what satellites they are on: http://en.kingofsat.net/
Unfortunately, particularly in this town of Blackburn, there is a massive clampdown on European Digital Broadcasting equipment, with much of it being seized by Police and officials.

According to the following link, though, there is actually no law being broken by having these and showing 3pm Games.

But, you can understand why Football Clubs and Leagues dont want them to show 3pm games, because then people would just go to the pub instead of buying a ticket, thus killing the game itself.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellit...uipment-3.html

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
NTL stopped doing commercial subscriptions for TV in 2006. Just wasn't financially viable, as the only reason most places had it was for Sports and Sky make all the profit on that lol
So, Ben.

If I find my property to be Cable Enabled, could I not just get a normal subscription and use that?

Surely I could state in court that I had cable, and they dont do a commercial subscription, thus keeping me from trouble?

Interesting Quote from the site mentioned:

Quote:
1. The Pub can not be done under any breach of copyright as long as they have paid for a valid subscription.
2. The law on the showing of live football at 3pm on a Saturday is not a law at all but a restriction imposed by the FA on British TV companies.
3. Civil suits are the only way for Media companies to persue this if they have the bottle but they do not have a case at all. This is all bluff and scaremongering.
4. Under EEC law it is legal to purchase and import anything within the EEC freely. Including TV services if the selling company are willing to supply this.
I mean, Id still prefer cable, but I would go for European before getting Sky, simply because of the price of it!
Old 13-05-2008, 15:43   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
So, Ben.

If I find my property to be Cable Enabled, could I not just get a normal subscription and use that?

Surely I could state in court that I had cable, and they dont do a commercial subscription, thus keeping me from trouble?
No because Virgin's Residential Terms have this clause in them (Section D Part 1h)

Quote:
You are responsible for the way the services are used. You must not use the services to do any of the following acts or allow anyone else to use the services to do such acts:
  • Use any services (including, but not limited to, phone services) for commercial or business purposes
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 17:12   #15
xspeedyx

what about a business account from VM