Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Long response rate using Guide or Menu

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Long response rate using Guide or Menu

Old 18-10-2016, 12:16   #1
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough
Long response rate using Guide or Menu

I am delighted with TiVo, but occasionally something happens which I do not understand and up to now you kind people have always solved it.

Over the past 2-3 months, whenever I use my handset on the Guide or Menu selections, the response rate is deplorable. It can be over 8 seconds at times for each click and makes selecting a program very annoying.

It never used to do this, my responses used to be immediate. I have replaced the batteries, but no use.

Any clues ?
beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2016, 12:34   #2
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold
Re: Long response rate using Guide or Menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
I am delighted with TiVo, but occasionally something happens which I do not understand and up to now you kind people have always solved it.

Over the past 2-3 months, whenever I use my handset on the Guide or Menu selections, the response rate is deplorable. It can be over 8 seconds at times for each click and makes selecting a program very annoying.

It never used to do this, my responses used to be immediate. I have replaced the batteries, but no use.

Any clues ?
The software has morphed into a bag of spanners with the last couple of releases. There are several proposes "fixes" floating around the web involving stopping suggestions, performing a UI reboot or performaning a full reboot. There is no permanent solution as the software will revert to form (i.e. slow and unresponsive) sooner or later.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 14:12   #3
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the roughbeaker17 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
The software has morphed into a bag of spanners with the last couple of releases. There are several proposes "fixes" floating around the web involving stopping suggestions, performing a UI reboot or performaning a full reboot. There is no permanent solution as the software will revert to form (i.e. slow and unresponsive) sooner or later.
I thank you for being so explicit that it is a software problem and not just lil 'ole me.

I'm not going to mess about with any fixes, I'll just wait until the boffins get their software working - if ever.
Old 18-10-2016, 14:18   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
The fixes don't work. Best to wait for the new Tivo.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 14:49   #5
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The fixes don't work. Best to wait for the new Tivo.
Thanks - Is the new TiVo just an electronic upgrade of our existing box or does it mean new box ?
Old 18-10-2016, 14:50   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
Thanks - Is the new TiVo just an electronic upgrade of our existing box or does it mean new box ?
New box.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 15:35   #7
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
New box.
Smells like another money hike to customers.
To have new TiVo boxes manufactured will cost a fortune to Virgin and the customers will have to pay something like £50 to have their existing box replaced.

All for what ? To fix the faulty software that Virgin has developed and to get umpteen more useless sports channels that we don't need.
Old 18-10-2016, 19:01   #8
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Before I class this problem as solved and just in case there is a prize for the longest delay - I claim it with this :-

Recorded menu up showing list of recorded programs. Selecting one for play - delay = 45 seconds. A typical response at present. I feel myself growing older.
Old 18-10-2016, 19:10   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

It'as most annoying when you forget if you've pressed a button or not. I sat waiting for over a minute once as I had done just that.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 21:20   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
It'as most annoying when you forget if you've pressed a button or not. I sat waiting for over a minute once as I had done just that.
Sometimes i've been sat waiting for it to respond and found that it hasn't caught the command issued by the remote control.

Other times I think that this has happened, so press it again, only to find that it was just being extra slow to respond and then it does both commands in one go.

This sometimes means that you end up somewhere you don't want to be and the whole sorry performance has to be started all over again .
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 09:03   #11
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

On this topic my box was updated with the new software a few weeks ago, however this morning it is updating again with a screen i've not seen before.

A simple black screen with white text "VIRGIN ARE UPDATING YOUR SOFTWARE PLEASE DON'T TURN OFF YOUR BOX"

And step 1 of 3 had completed as I came to work.

Maybe they are fixing the massive delay coming out of 'My Recordings' etc?????!?!?!?
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 09:44   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
On this topic my box was updated with the new software a few weeks ago, however this morning it is updating again with a screen i've not seen before.

A simple black screen with white text "VIRGIN ARE UPDATING YOUR SOFTWARE PLEASE DON'T TURN OFF YOUR BOX"

And step 1 of 3 had completed as I came to work.

Maybe they are fixing the massive delay coming out of 'My Recordings' etc?????!?!?!?
Well, let us know how it goes, Mobes.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:07   #13
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

will do!

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

Anyone else noticed the update occurring?
Old 25-10-2016, 12:00   #14
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My TIVO rebooted itself a few days ago whilst I was watching a recorded programme around 10:30 pm.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 19:09   #15
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Well after the update going in and out of menus MUCH quicker!!!