Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix shares soar as subscriber numbers rocket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix shares soar as subscriber numbers rocket.

Old 18-10-2016, 06:53   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Netflix shares soar as subscriber numbers rocket.

Last quarter, Netflix were expected to add another 2 million new subscribers amid fears that subscriber numbers would be difficult to maintain.

The figure was actually 3.2 million!

It's believed that their original content is behind this; by 2017 they hope to be showing a 1000 hours of original content a year

The share price exploaded by 20% as a result.

OTT providers seem to be really gathering momentum now.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/netfli...6-10?r=US&IR=T
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2016, 08:21   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix shares soar as subscriber numbers rocket.

Well l am just waiting for a certain revered well respected poster to come along and proclaim this as the end of linear TV.
Old 18-10-2016, 11:16   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I'm struggling to find a couple of hours' decent programming to watch each day despite the large number of channels I have through Freeview and VM.

But pay extra just for a possible show or two on Netflix or Amazon? No way.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 11:28   #4
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I only sub when they bring a new show out these days, most of the content they have that i'd be interested in i've already seen.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 12:17   #5
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well l am just waiting for a certain revered well respected poster to come along and proclaim this as the end of linear TV.
He may overplay the death of linear but he has a point about the growth of the streaming services , just look at the discounts the big players are now having to chuck out to hold onto people.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 12:24   #6
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
He does have a point though about streaming services they are growing quite quickly.
I personally cancelled my Netflix when they started blocking vpns.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 14:44   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
He may overplay the death of linear but he has a point about the growth of the streaming services , just look at the discounts the big players are now having to chuck out to hold onto people.
The discounts were there 10 years ago MM before streaming ever came to fruition.
Old 18-10-2016, 15:16   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I'm struggling to find a couple of hours' decent programming to watch each day despite the large number of channels I have through Freeview and VM.

But pay extra just for a possible show or two on Netflix or Amazon? No way.
The irritating thing is, there happens to be a lot of material available on our broadcast channels, but they are spread too thinly, so it's easy to miss shows that you might be interested in.

I am a fussy viewer but I find more than enough to keep me amused with my 450 hours worth of recordings, Netflix, Amazon and Now TV.

I don't know what kind of programmes you are into, Taf, but you do surprise me that you can find so little to watch. Mind you, I know many people who don't go to the lengths I do to find the material I want to see.

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Quote:
You heard it here first, Den.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 15:19   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Yes l have gone deaf nearly as it rings in my ears continuously.
Old 18-10-2016, 15:33   #10
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The discounts were there 10 years ago MM before streaming ever came to fruition.
Not the kind of discounts available now they weren't.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 16:40   #11
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Not the kind of discounts available now they weren't.
Well if l remember they were still quite considerable though.
Old 18-10-2016, 17:57   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Sad to note that the UK won't benefit from the tax generated by this extra income:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-report-claims
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 20:15   #13
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't know what kind of programmes you are into, Taf, but you do surprise me that you can find so little to watch.
I'm a fan of scifi and non-UK police dramas (the British ones are awful except for Lucky Man).

The trouble is that most come from the USA and they are forever taking "breaks" for the summer, "winter holiday season", and it would appear they also stop all decent programming during election times.
Old 18-10-2016, 20:48   #14
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I'm a fan of scifi and non-UK police dramas (the British ones are awful except for Lucky Man).

The trouble is that most come from the USA and they are forever taking "breaks" for the summer, "winter holiday season", and it would appear they also stop all decent programming during election times.
Have you actually tried all the UK police dramas? Lucky Man isn't exactly what i'd call a police drama, more a fantasy/police drama and there are some much better ones out there. Luther, Happy Valley, Broadchurch, Line of Duty, River... to name just a few of the modern good ones, there are loads more plus all the older ones.

Unless your thing is stuff like CSI UK cop shows are usually much better IMO.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 21:48   #15
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
H Luther, Happy Valley, Broadchurch, Line of Duty, River...
All left me cold....