Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are all TiVos created equal?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Are all TiVos created equal?

Old 14-10-2016, 14:17   #1
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Are all TiVos created equal?

Odd one this.

I have two Cisco Systems 1TB TiVos, one in the living room and another in the bedroom but the EPG on each looks slightly different. While the bedroom TiVo EPG displays the coloured channel logo to the right of each channel name the one in the living room just displays the channel name minus the logo. I tried a re-boot but it still looks the same. There is no difference in functionality and, according to the system info, the software versions are the same.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2016, 14:43   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Are all TiVos created equal?

Whether it's the channel name or channel logo is a something you can choose. The option is in the main EPG under the Green button.

I'm not sure why they aren't both the same currently though.
Old 14-10-2016, 14:45   #3
Waldorf
cf.member

Services: Virgin media
Waldorf is an unknown quantity at this point

You can change from colour to plain, whilst you are in EPG just scroll left to highlight the channel then press green button to enter options, then just scroll down to Show channel logos
Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 15:49   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Whether it's the channel name or channel logo is a something you can choose. The option is in the main EPG under the Green button.

I'm not sure why they aren't both the same currently though.
I didn't know that, but yes, it works!

I would imagine that it was a deliberate decision to allow each box to be changed separately, it makes sense.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 16:00   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Indeed.

I meant that if it's not been changed by choice, then all TiVo boxes in a home should display in the same way (can't remember whether the logos are on or off by default)
Old 14-10-2016, 16:37   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Indeed.

I meant that if it's not been changed by choice, then all TiVo boxes in a home should display in the same way (can't remember whether the logos are on or off by default)
Mine was set to 'off'.

I've now turned it on. And that has made me so happy!

Old 14-10-2016, 16:41   #7
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

I didn't know there were options beyond changing the grid layout. It's now back as it was originally on the living room TiVo. Thanks.

Now I'm wondering why it changed spontaneously.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 18:52   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I didn't know there were options beyond changing the grid layout. It's now back as it was originally on the living room TiVo. Thanks.

Now I'm wondering why it changed spontaneously.
Artificial intelligence, I presume.
Old 14-10-2016, 19:16   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

More likely a software upgrade occurred that reset the options to the default. It's happened on our Sony smart TV and it's a pain to go and reset these to our setup.
Old 14-10-2016, 19:28   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
More likely a software upgrade occurred that reset the options to the default. It's happened on our Sony smart TV and it's a pain to go and reset these to our setup.
I am sure that some of this smart technology has a mind of its own.

I too have a smart Sony TV. One day, all my terrestrial channels are on the You View electronic guide and the next day they have disappeared and re-tuning won't find them.

Just as well I have an old fashioned digital recorder, which picks up all the channels every time!

I guess the issue with the Tivos is simply that the upgrades re-set the machine, because someone didn't think to modify the programme sufficiently well to ensure that personal preferences were left untouched. Is it really that difficult to stop that from happening?
Old 14-10-2016, 21:08   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I guess the issue with the Tivos is simply that the upgrades re-set the machine, because someone didn't think to modify the programme sufficiently well to ensure that personal preferences were left untouched. Is it really that difficult to stop that from happening?
TiVo does remember your personal preferences during upgrades. If it didn't then your Series Links and recordings wouldn't exist.

But it's a bit difficult to remember a personal choice for a feature that was only added as part of the recent update
Old 15-10-2016, 01:10   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
TiVo does remember your personal preferences during upgrades. If it didn't then your Series Links and recordings wouldn't exist.

But it's a bit difficult to remember a personal choice for a feature that was only added as part of the recent update
Yes, with Alzeimers, the most recent memories are the first to go.