Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Large bundles of Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Large bundles of Channels
View Poll Results: Are the large bundles of Channels from the likes of VM and Sky sustainable long term
Yes 15 33.33%
No 25 55.56%
Don't know 5 11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-10-2016, 13:54   #46
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Large bundles of Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I am not surprised that Sky wouldn't want to divulge this sort of negative nformation! However, if instead of concentrating on fleecing its customers it could pay more attention to the quality of their content on the likes of Sky 1, 2 and Living, people may be less likely to ditch their subscriptions.

People are becoming less enamoured about subscribing to pay TV channels when the Freeview offering is so much better. Reality TV is less popular now and has lost its surprise/disgust factor.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2016, 15:57   #47
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I am not surprised that Sky wouldn't want to divulge this sort of negative nformation! However, if instead of concentrating on fleecing its customers it could pay more attention to the quality of their content on the likes of Sky 1, 2 and Living, people may be less likely to ditch their subscriptions.

People are becoming less enamoured about subscribing to pay TV channels when the Freeview offering is so much better. Reality TV is less popular now and has lost its surprise/disgust factor.
Sky 1 is one of the best if not the best performing pay tv Entertainment channel according to Barb viewing figures , I can think of a whole load of channels I'd gladly lose before the ones you mention.

I struggle to ascertain how you believe Sky is the only one to be fleecing its customers I've just had a quick look on Virgin Medias website and their prices seem to be in a similar ball park. My own personal view is they are all getting to expensive hence my belief things will need to change with the way they all bundle and sell their TV packages.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 16:17   #48
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

You say things need to change MM but the these companies obviously don't share your sentiments and l cannot see it changing anytime soon.
Old 13-10-2016, 16:54   #49
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You say things need to change MM but the these companies obviously don't share your sentiments and l cannot see it changing anytime soon.
Things have already started to change Den , expect more going forward.
Old 13-10-2016, 20:17   #50
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Things have already started to change Den , expect more going forward.
Got to agree. There's companies offering real alternatives to the big bundled packages.

Plusnet customers with broadband and line rental can add Plusnet TV for £5.00 per month. For your £5.00 you get a Youview box, all Freeview channels plus Alibi, Animal Planet, CI, Comedy Central, Discovery, E!, Eurosport, Eurosport 2, Gold, History, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime, MTV, Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild, Sony Channel, SyFy, TLC, Universal and W.

EE customers with broadband and line rental can get EETV added to their package. Total cost £27.50 per month including the line rental. You get their PVR and Freeview channels however their box supports NOW TV & TV Player Plus meaning customers can easily access the UK's top pay TV channels.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 07:57   #51
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Sky 1 is one of the best if not the best performing pay tv Entertainment channel according to Barb viewing figures , I can think of a whole load of channels I'd gladly lose before the ones you mention.

I struggle to ascertain how you believe Sky is the only one to be fleecing its customers I've just had a quick look on Virgin Medias website and their prices seem to be in a similar ball park. My own personal view is they are all getting to expensive hence my belief things will need to change with the way they all bundle and sell their TV packages.
Indeed, Sky 1 is Sky's most popular channel (because Atlantic is only available on direct subscription to Sky on two platforms). However, the content on that channel is disappointing and people are demanding better by ditching their subscriptions.

Netflix and Amazon provide much better value, IMHO.

I did not say that Sky was the only company fleecing its customers, although my perception is that they are the worst culprits.
Old 14-10-2016, 09:38   #52
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Indeed, Sky 1 is Sky's most popular channel (because Atlantic is only available on direct subscription to Sky on two platforms). However, the content on that channel is disappointing and people are demanding better by ditching their subscriptions.

Netflix and Amazon provide much better value, IMHO.

I did not say that Sky was the only company fleecing its customers, although my perception is that they are the worst culprits.
Please tell me a pay tv Entertainment channel that beats Sky One on the content front , as for worst culprits how many times have Virgin increased prices within the last 12 months ? They are all as bad as each other.

As for Netflix and Amazon shows we'll never know how many UK viewers they get as they don't disclose that information.

I agree Netflix and Amazon represent pretty good value for money.

Last edited by muppetman11; 14-10-2016 at 09:55.
Old 14-10-2016, 11:01   #53
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Please tell me a pay tv Entertainment channel that beats Sky One on the content front , as for worst culprits how many times have Virgin increased prices within the last 12 months ? They are all as bad as each other.

As for Netflix and Amazon shows we'll never know how many UK viewers they get as they don't disclose that information.

I agree Netflix and Amazon represent pretty good value for money.
On your first point, I think Fox is my favourite, but I agree that Sky 1 is probably the best (if you exclude the premium channels). However, that is my point. The content on the pay channels is poor when compared with the best of the terrestrials, and I think a lot of people who subscribe to pay tv for the first time are surprised at the small amount of additional choice that is of good quality that they can access.

My comment about Sky 'fleecing' its customers was a passing comment rather than one that was central to the argument, and I know that a lot of us have negative views about Sky in that respect. I accept that you may not agree that Sky is the worst culprit.

My point was not about viewing figures for Netflix and Amazon. I am simply pointing out that they are better value for money, and people are likely to come round to that view unless content on the pay tv is improved.
Old 14-10-2016, 11:20   #54
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Indeed, Sky 1 is Sky's most popular channel (because Atlantic is only available on direct subscription to Sky on two platforms).
The availability or otherwise of Sky Atlantic won't make much difference. Sky1 gets four times as many viewers as Atlantic.

Sky News, Sky Sports News and Pick all give Sky1 a run for its money, though.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 11:25   #55
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I don't disagree about the OTT providers being decent value for money do you think I'd have started this thread if I thought traditional pay tv was value for money for me.

My point is in a create your own bundle world I'd be choosing the Sky Entertainment channels over the majority of its competing pay tv Entertainment channels.

I read your posts and I'm astonished you even continue with Pay TV when your so happy with the online providers , my only current reason for keeping pay tv is sport however I know you've said you don't watch that.

Last edited by muppetman11; 14-10-2016 at 11:40.
Old 14-10-2016, 12:04   #56
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Wonders how advertising revenue is worked out? If you can say your channel is "available" to so many millions via bundling on the major distributors compared to knowing your channel is only subscribed to by so many thousand.
Old 14-10-2016, 13:09   #57
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The availability or otherwise of Sky Atlantic won't make much difference. Sky1 gets four times as many viewers as Atlantic.

Sky News, Sky Sports News and Pick all give Sky1 a run for its money, though.
Do you mean across all platforms or just on satellite, Spiderplant?
Old 14-10-2016, 14:42   #58
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Do you mean across all platforms or just on satellite, Spiderplant?
All platforms. See BARB data.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 15:39   #59
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
All platforms. See BARB data.
So that accounts for Atlantic's poor ratings compared with other Sky channels. I would imagine that if you confine the audience figures to satellite viewers only, Atlantic will have a very respectable score indeed.

Since I acquired access to Sky Atlantic material through my Roku, I have been blown away by the quality and number of programmes I have missed. Sky 1 doesn't come close.
Old 14-10-2016, 15:47   #60
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
So that accounts for Atlantic's poor ratings compared with other Sky channels. I would imagine that if you confine the audience figures to satellite viewers only, Atlantic will have a very respectable score indeed.

Since I acquired access to Sky Atlantic material through my Roku, I have been blown away by the quality and number of programmes I have missed. Sky 1 doesn't come close.
Even if Sky Atlantic was available across all the platforms Sky 1 is its viewing figures would generally still be lower.

The majority of the content shown on Sky Atlantic is aimed at adults as opposed to the many family shows available on Sky 1.