Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo HD Picture Quality Vs Freeview HD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo HD Picture Quality Vs Freeview HD

Old 06-10-2016, 15:42   #1
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold
TiVo HD Picture Quality Vs Freeview HD

I have noticed that the Freeview HD picture quality is sharper than the output of my TiVo.

TV set is a Sony 55W805C.

TiVo is connected to TV via Onkyo AV receiver using HDMI cables. TiVo is set to output 1080i. Sony TV set to Full Pixel mode.

I thought the picture would be the same however flicking between BBC one HD on either platforms I see a sharper picture on Freeview HD and a smoother picture from the TiVo.

I have used recommended picture settings as per the avforums video on YouTube for my TV.

Can anyone else see this?
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2016, 18:42   #2
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of
Re: TiVo HD Picture Quality Vs Freeview HD

My Freeview HD picture looks worse to me than the TIVO version
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 19:25   #3
alexcopeland
Inactive

alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

To be honest it's also smoothing out on Netflix compared to the app built into the TV too.
Old 06-10-2016, 20:04   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Have to say my Freeview HD quality is noticeably better than TiVo.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 20:56   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

The BBC is required to supply the same quality of broadcasts irrespective of provider(freeview, cable, satelite etc). Any differences will come from the TV itself via picture settings that are specific to the source of the images (internal freeview, HDMI etc). Eg my 3 year old Samsung has a "Game Mode" setting, which obviously doesn't apply to the internal Freeview picture.The option says that it may degrade picture quality. The TV may do the freeview decoding and upscaling in the same chip, which means the upscaling might be different between freeview and external HDMI source.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 21:02   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The BBC is required to supply the same quality of broadcasts irrespective of provider(freeview, cable, satelite etc). Any differences will come from the TV itself via picture settings that are specific to the source of the images (internal freeview, HDMI etc). Eg my 3 year old Samsung has a "Game Mode" setting, which obviously doesn't apply to the internal Freeview picture.The option says that it may degrade picture quality. The TV may do the freeview decoding and upscaling in the same chip, which means the upscaling might be different between freeview and external HDMI source.
Same tv settings on both inputs, Freeview is better than Tivo. Just on HD, SD they're the same.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 21:15   #7
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Same tv settings on both inputs, Freeview is better than Tivo. Just on HD, SD they're the same.
The "Game Mode" setting on my TV is not in the picture settings. It is hidden away in the System, General settings.
Old 06-10-2016, 22:50   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
VM use the Astra satellites for most SD feeds, but HD channels are usually supplied direct to the Super Headend at Langley on an uncompressed fibre feed from the broadcaster.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 22:59   #9
alexcopeland
Inactive

There is a noticeably softer picture from my TiVo STB and I find it unusual that all HD channels are not as good to watch via the TiVo when compared to Freeview HD.
Old 06-10-2016, 23:01   #10
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
VM use the Astra satellites for most SD feeds, but HD channels are usually supplied direct to the Super Headend at Langley on an uncompressed fibre feed from the broadcaster.
There is a (legal?) requirement that the BBC supply the same quality level on all platforms. Freeview, VM, Sky, etc will all be the same.
Old 06-10-2016, 23:01   #11
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Some Freeview is in 1080p. Having said that, my Sony's BBC HD channels look better than my TiVo's. C4 looks better on TiVo. ITV is not notably better on Frreview unless it's a 1080p programme.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:01   #12
kirk1690
Inactive

Services: Tivo . Virgin 200 tvL. Virgin Landline, Sky HD variety pack movies and sport.
kirk1690 has a spectacular aura about themkirk1690 has a spectacular aura about themkirk1690 has a spectacular aura about themkirk1690 has a spectacular aura about them
Lightbulb Re: TiVo HD Picture Quality Vs Freeview HD

Of course you meant 1080i ,1080p broadcasts in the UK don't exist .
kirk1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:31   #13
alexcopeland
Inactive

I'm in two minds whether to try Sky and their new Q box to see if this improves my experience because I don't feel I'm getting good value for money paying out for kit that doesn't deliver a decent picture. Or wait for the V6 STB from Virginmedia.
Old 07-10-2016, 13:16   #14
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcopeland View Post
I'm in two minds whether to try Sky and their new Q box to see if this improves my experience because I don't feel I'm getting good value for money paying out for kit that doesn't deliver a decent picture. Or wait for the V6 STB from Virginmedia.
And possibly find that the "problem" is still there as it's related to whatever is plugged into the HDMI ports.
Old 07-10-2016, 13:52   #15
alexcopeland
Inactive

Quote:
And possibly find that the "problem" is still there as it's related to whatever is plugged into the HDMI ports.
True, there is a possibility.