Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Mates Rates for 2012

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TV Subscription costs?

Old 14-01-2013, 22:20   #1
Lostlam
Inactive

Lostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enough
TV Subscription costs?

I have noticed recently that my costs seem to high for what I have which is XL TV and Sky Sports Collection and it is currently amounting to £60. I decided to look at Sky and they only charge £21 a month for Sky Sports (when you have any entertainment package), but VM charge £25.75.

What should I do?
Lostlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2013, 22:57   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TV Subscription costs?

You could speak to VM to see whether they can give you a better overall bundle deal

However in regards to specific Sky Sports cost, there is nothing you can do. VM don't offer deals on the Sky Premium channels
Old 14-01-2013, 23:18   #3
Lostlam
Inactive

Lostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You could speak to VM to see whether they can give you a better overall bundle deal

However in regards to specific Sky Sports cost, there is nothing you can do. VM don't offer deals on the Sky Premium channels
Thought that was the best thing to do really. It is just stupid that it is almost £5 more to have Sky Sports on VM instead of Sky and that is without HD.
Old 14-01-2013, 23:22   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Not much VM can do about it unfortunately. Although Sky Sports 1 & 2 are regulated, 3, 4 and Sky Sports F1 aren't
Old 14-01-2013, 23:26   #5
Lostlam
Inactive

Quote:
Not much VM can do about it unfortunately. Although Sky Sports 1 & 2 are regulated, 3, 4 and Sky Sports F1 aren't
They might not be able to mate, but they will lose customers for sure. That is almost £60 extra per year for just four channels and I won't be surprised if it goes up again in the near future.
Old 14-01-2013, 23:32   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

What I mean is that Sky set the prices for the Sky Sports channels as part of the contract - so VM charge what that contract says
Old 14-01-2013, 23:34   #7
Lostlam
Inactive

Quote:
What I mean is that Sky set the prices for the Sky Sports channels as part of the contract - so VM charge what that contract says
Understandable mate, but VM need to try and haggle more. There is a big difference from £21 to £25.75 a month.
Old 15-01-2013, 07:47   #8
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlam View Post
Understandable mate, but VM need to try and haggle more. There is a big difference from £21 to £25.75 a month.
l think it tells you everything you need to know about Sky's nefarious tactics when it comes to trying to make carriage agreements with them.
Old 15-01-2013, 10:00   #9
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l think it tells you everything you need to know about Sky's nefarious tactics when it comes to trying to make carriage agreements with them.
That they are in business to MAKE money & not subsidise competitors. It sure does
Old 15-01-2013, 10:15   #10
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
That they are in business to MAKE money & not subsidise competitors. It sure does
Making money is one thing Itshim but abusing your monopolistic position repeatedly is another.
Old 15-01-2013, 11:11   #11
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Making money is one thing Itshim but abusing your monopolistic position repeatedly is another.

Nothing stops other companies from bidding ( well except cash, bottle -what ever). So it is not Monopolistic.Somehow I feel we will never agree on that point. Of cause as I do not care about sport on TV. I am not going to get to excited about it
Old 15-01-2013, 11:38   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Have to disagree with you, den - Sky may have more financial muscle, but they use it to their best advantage; that is their job.

The profits they make fund the innovations they are delivering to their customers - I understand why people are moving to Sky for TV services.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:06   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Yes indeed as far as TV goes Sky has innovated considerably and indeed that is good for customers in the long run but l think it gets to a point as we have seen in other sectors where you then have too much financial muscle and then some companies can start to abuse their dominant position in that market and l am not sure that is good for any of us in the long run but thats only my opinion but many others might think differently.
Old 15-01-2013, 12:29   #14
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Yes indeed as far as TV goes Sky has innovated considerably and indeed that is good for customers in the long run but l think it gets to a point as we have seen in other sectors where you then have too much financial muscle and then some companies can start to abuse their dominant position in that market and l am not sure that is good for any of us in the long run but thats only my opinion but many others might think differently.
Den I agree with your point ( see my rants about Tesco which I feel is far more important, if beside the point ) How ever it is not against any law, perhaps it should be and whilst it is not the only "weapon" available is to boycott it. Which I try to do with regard to Tesco
Old 15-01-2013, 14:22   #15
iateallthepies
Permanently Banned

iateallthepies is a jewel in the roughiateallthepies is a jewel in the roughiateallthepies is a jewel in the roughiateallthepies is a jewel in the roughiateallthepies is a jewel in the rough

As a customer I vote with my feet and go with the cheapest and also who can provide more. I refuse to stay with a company who will just say " Well it`s what Sky charges us".

In this case we can safely say Sky and for those saying about monopolies etc it`s the way it is, not good but hey if you don`t like it start a petition and get 100,000 people.

Or Virgin could always bid for Sports rights of their own and setup studios, Pay for commentators etc..
iateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote