Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dave selling council houses (Just like Thatcher did)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Dave selling council houses (Just like Thatcher did)

Old 12-03-2012, 23:34   #1
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Dave selling council houses (Just like Thatcher did)

Council tenants offered £75,000 discount in right-to-buy scheme

Quote:
Residents of houses could get 35% discount after five years and another 1% for each further year, up to maximum of £75,000

David Cameron will try to breathe new life into the right-to-buy scheme by offering council tenants discounts of up to £75,000, arguing that the discount will help encourage "strong families and stable communities".
Families could receive a 35% discount after five years' residency, with an extra 1% for each additional year, up to a maximum of £75,000. It had previously been expected that the maximum would be set at £50,000.
Tenants in flats will get 50% off after five years, with 2% added yearly. The money raised from sales will go towards building more social housing.
Dave really is off his head. I swear to God, the man is trying to destroy this country for a reason.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ount-right-buy
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2012, 00:13   #2
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads
Re: Dave selling council houses (Just like Thatcher did)

Last THROW of the dice we absolute knew it that the false economy tricks to stimulate the country. That the trick would be a housing price boom.

Net result is Dear britain becomes even dearer the country just cant support housing prices escelating.

Surely capping housing prices is needed.

I was listening to the news about this idea. My first impression was MADNESS. We cutting everywhere all over the shop yet going to help people buy a home great idea cameron where the money coming from.

The other why dont he admit he wants ZERO rental why is it such stigma to rent these poor souls going get trapped into houses they cant afford. Bet down road mass repocessions as families, new bread struggle to pay the mortage.

Its fantasy of the conservatives thatchers wet dream coming in new badge. that bit about flats anybody would be pretty much stark raving bonkers to buy multistory flat. Hit with share maintainence for essensials like lifts.

Why cant they just set programme build new houses to drive housing prices down to sensibilty then control the market prices with regulations.

Sell council stock is absolute bonkers how many housing got replaced with thatchers scheme. Its why we got boom in private rental craze and homeless families due to stupid policy like this.

Most these will likely be on incomes which means anyfluctuation in interests will cause issues. Thats not withstanding they wont be able to keep housing in good repair.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 06:52   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Oh no not another political thread please Gary.
Old 13-03-2012, 07:36   #4
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Oh no not another political thread please Gary.
Indeed how many times and ways can Gary tell us he does not like Dave

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 09:55   #5
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Sorry, but politics is what we live and breathe everyday for now.
there was a time when I didn't take much notice of politics. there was a time when a prime minister didn't do anything from one day to the next.

so because Dave is doing at least 2 things a day that has an impact on our lives socially, financially and morally. then inevitably politics will be discussed instead of the usual weather.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:05   #6
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
there was a time when I didn't take much notice of politics. there was a time when a prime minister didn't do anything from one day to the next.

so because Dave is doing at least 2 things a day that has an impact on our lives socially, financially and morally. then inevitably politics will be discussed instead of the usual weather.
Many people do at least 2 things a day that would impact our lives socially, financially and morally just as much as the Prime Minister so he is no different to them, I don't see you posting about them. Next you will be telling us when he goes to the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post

It might be for you but i and many other have a life

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 10:09   #7
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Many people do at least 2 things a day so Dave is no different,
They're not ruling the country.

Quote:
You will be telling us when he goes to the toilet next.
No I won't. you're just being silly.
I'll tell you when he cuts expenditure in parliament, and when he cuts MPs wages and expenses as a way of helping out the finacial crisis and proving that we're all in this together wasn't just another lie.

Quote:
It might be for you but i and many other have a life
I was thinking of buying one of them. but they're just too expensive now.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:13   #8
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Aside from the fact that i am against the right to buy scheme in any incarnation ,the difference between this one and any other is that the money raised will stay with the LA that sold the house and they will have to build a new house for everyone that is sold .At least that's what is supposed to happen in the original idea
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/20...obs-homes.html

I also fail to see how encouraging people to buy houses in such a uncertain job market is going to be beneficial to anyone .I foresee lots of problems with people taking out 95% mortgages to buy new build houses ,they can very quickly end up in negative equity which won't be a problem if they keep their current wage level and don't move
Old 13-03-2012, 10:19   #9
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
they will have to build a new house for everyone that is sold .At least that's what is supposed to happen in the original idea
It's not 1 for 1. there's a clause where only if a set amount are sold and I think it's 1 to every 16.
there's a link I saw somewhere.

Quote:
I also fail to see how encouraging people to buy houses in such a uncertain job market is going to be beneficial to anyone .I foresee lots of problems with people taking out 95% mortgages to buy new build houses ,they can very quickly end up in negative equity which won't be a problem if they keep their current wage level and don't move
The house will be bought by those who rent them out at the tax payers expense (housing benefit)
a lot of them will be repossessed by the banks again. due to the buyer not in the position to buy in the first place financially.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:22   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

The chances of Right to Buy causing house price inflation is ludicrous. For a start the Right to Buy purchaser is normally required to stay in that property for a number of years after purchase. Theoretically there are also advantages to a local authority, that is cash strapped, because they are no longer responsible for maintenance of the property, whcih the rentals never really covered because of the way rent was collected and reallocated. The downside though is many of the right to buyers didn't understand mortgages and their new responsibilities and some of those risk getting reposessed and put bakc into the local authorities housing need.

The biggest issue for most areas is not right to buy, but there are an inadequate number of properties being built, of the right type. There have been all sorts of "affordable" housing measures" but rarely to these provide a good number of family sized homes. Most are one and two bedroom flats rather than three and four bed houses. Most affordable housing is still private, being sold on discount mortage and related schemes, which aren't suited for those in unstable employment circumstances. A right to buy thus needs to be matched by a proper local authority / housing association build programme.

Oh and is some price inflation in the private housing sector a bad thing? I'm not saying the rampant rises we saw in the midst of the last decade before the 2007 slump, or even that whcih we saw in the late 1980s. But without some price growth, given the costs of selling and buying a house with agent's fees, stamp duty, solicitors, mortgage fees, etc, unless the price is going up people loose too much money. We now have a situation where the private home owner in many areas simply cannot afford to move as they can't afford the expense, so even if they want to move for a job, they are stuck.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 11:07   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Wasn't the root cause of all the world's financial problems caused by giving loans to people who couldn't afford to keep up the payments?

The way things are now, I'd hate to get into a financial arrangement of any sort that relied 100% on my job and income still being there tomorrow.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 11:26   #12
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Wasn't the root cause of all the world's financial problems caused by giving loans to people who couldn't afford to keep up the payments?

The way things are now, I'd hate to get into a financial arrangement of any sort that relied 100% on my job and income still being there tomorrow.
exactly
Old 13-03-2012, 16:29   #13
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post

absolute spot on.

Rob the original right to buy did cause housing boom. Not imediately but further down the line houses went throught the roof. Economist wrote last year the dangers of the policy.

http://www.economicvoice.com/cameron...ubble/50025884

another shows history of rental to ownership how it right to buy caised the housing boom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14380936

There is some very good articles doted around about housing issue.

To articles here below one about the rental issue on private rental boom.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/home/...n/6520212.blog

This below supporting the policy why it has to work.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...win-win-policy

Then this about general housing interesting read.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...edictions.html

another good article about why council housing failing

http://www.ukhousingpolicy.com/

Now the way I see it they trying to get 100% home ownership but cant ever see how people in certain situations can ever own a home. The other surely Rental is a right of choice. One these articles talks about getting those who can afford a home out rental market.

Dangerous road coalition treading fear what wll happen 15 years time. Money market predict 15% increase can the country cope with that.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:02   #14
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

We're stuck in a bit of a spiral at the moment:

Building material factories have closed down because

Builders can't build houses because

Banks won't provide mortgages because

Employers are laying off staff making them bad risks for loans of any kinds so

Joe Public is not buying housing whilst they risk redundancy so

Back to the top
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 18:02   #15
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Why on earth is the government selling council homes a below-market place at times of cuts?
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote