Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best way to dispose of old dvd player/ shredder & the like ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Best way to dispose of old dvd player/ shredder & the like ?

Old 27-11-2008, 17:27   #1
clumsymum
Inactive

Services: BB M TV L and V+ Phone L
clumsymum is on a distinguished roadclumsymum is on a distinguished road
Best way to dispose of old dvd player/ shredder & the like ?

Didn't know where to put this, plumped for lifestyle in the end.

We're having a bad week, our old DVD/VHS player has stopped working (doesn't respond to any remote control commands, tried it with 2 different remotes), and then my office shredder has packed up (after about 9 years of hard service).

Now I'm planning to cart them off to the tip, but is there a better place? Both have a fair amount of high grade plastic, the DVD player must have a chip or 2, and I guess either could be repairable by someone with the time/skill to devote to it.

So, any ideas?
clumsymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2008, 17:34   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Best way to dispose of old dvd player/ shredder & the like ?

Unfortunately we live in a thowaway society. Unless it's pretty obvious what has broken, it's just not economical to repair electronic stuff.

Your local household tip is the best place. Ours has a designated container for electronic type things which should mean they get broken down into components for recycling whatever can be reused rather than ending up iin landfill. Indeed i think most electronic manufacturer's are require to contribute to such schemes these days.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 17:38   #3
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_E...ment_Directive
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 17:41   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Another vote for the local tip here - they aren't just tips any more, they tend to be 'recycling centres' and yours will almost certainly have a separate place to leave defunct electricals. They will handle onward disposal/recycling for you.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 01:29   #5
dgardner

Hi,
You could try freecycle:
http://www.uk.freecycle.org/
Old 29-11-2008, 10:57   #6
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
Hi,
You could try freecycle:
http://www.uk.freecycle.org/
Freecycle is normally for stuff that's working though
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:07   #7
dgardner

I've had a lot of mainly computer stuff from there to fix and readvertise
as long as it is advertised as broken
Old 01-12-2008, 10:41   #8
Watching You
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV + Broadband & Telephone
Watching You has a spectacular aura about themWatching You has a spectacular aura about themWatching You has a spectacular aura about themWatching You has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Now I'm planning to cart them off to the tip, but is there a better place? Both have a fair amount of high grade plastic, the DVD player must have a chip or 2, and I guess either could be repairable by someone with the time/skill to devote to it.
I would check with the manufacturer as some manufactures have an agreement to dispose of their old products. On top of this I am not sure how this really works, only I had a rubbish - usless HP laser printers that I returned back to them, but I am a bit confused because I am not sure if they were suppose to have paid me £15 for this or they expect me to pay £15 to have them recycle this item (on their website it says they pay me) and so far its taken four no today five months just to get to this stage.
Watching You is offline   Reply With Quote