Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | what will I be getting?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

what will I be getting?

Old 03-05-2012, 01:04   #46
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: what will I be getting?

All customers.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2012, 01:14   #47
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

They could have used different strategies.

New customers/renewals - lowest tier 10:1. the rest like it is now.

doubles - as it is.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:39   #48
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

thenry upgrading bottom tier customers potentially has a huge impact as thats where most customers are, and not all of us sit uploading all day.

April my usage according to dumeter (this includes lan traffic tho although I dont remember shifting anything big over lan last month). I need to switch to that networx app on here as it excludes lan traffic so it would be more accurate.

down 76gig
up 3.9gig.

Personally I am glad they didnt keep 10:1 although I am not glad its only temporary.

My VM connection is running the best it has for a while but as always with VM it feels like its on jelly and only one thing has to change to tip it wrong again.

--edit--

here is stats of ddwrt so for my entire property.

April 2012 (Incoming: 90456 MB / Outgoing: 5300 MB)
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:13   #49
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Good new/bad news.

The good news is was told that have not been "speed doubled" but put directly onto the 30mb tier. Which means I'll get doubled to 60 whenever that happens

The bad news is that the tech. guy couldn't see any issues with my connection from his end (power levels okay, etc.) so seems to think it must be something on my PC that's 'taking' some of the upload speed. The problem is that I have no idea what (and no, there's nothing on my PC that I don't know about; ie no viri or malware.)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26   #50
Sherlock Holmes
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 60MB XL Broadband, XL TV with TiVo, XL phone.
Sherlock Holmes is on a distinguished roadSherlock Holmes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
The good news is was told that have not been "speed doubled" but put directly onto the 30mb tier. Which means I'll get doubled to 60 whenever that happens

The bad news is that the tech. guy couldn't see any issues with my connection from his end (power levels okay, etc.) so seems to think it must be something on my PC that's 'taking' some of the upload speed. The problem is that I have no idea what (and no, there's nothing on my PC that I don't know about; ie no viri or malware.)

Check what the upload config is on your modem just to be 100% sure. If your config is only 2meg up you are on 30MB L not 30MB XL

Cheers
Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 13:34   #51
TbGbe
Inactive

Services: Phone M, 10Mb, TV XL (V+)
TbGbe is on a distinguished roadTbGbe is on a distinguished road

Carl - you originally posting the config.
At the bottom tou will see
Quote:
<snip>
Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 30826
Max Traffic Rate 33000000 bps
33000000 : that's 30Mbs dwonload

and
Quote:
<snip>
Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 30825
Max Traffic Rate 2058000 bps
2058000 : that's 2Mbs upload.

This is the configuration sent to your SuperHub by Virgin.
So nothing on your PC has affected your speeds - the "tech guy" was bluffing (to be polite) !!

The only question is whether upgrading from 10Mb to 30Mb should give you 3Mb upload and then consensus is that it should (you are not speed doubling, you are taking the "new service").
TbGbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 13:46   #52
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Clarification from http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35421694-post12.html

Quote Stephen - Cable Forum Team;
"10Mb and 20Mb are going to 30Mb ..."

Isn't 10Mb just going to 20Mb?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 16:25   #53
TbGbe
Inactive

Services: Phone M, 10Mb, TV XL (V+)
TbGbe is on a distinguished roadTbGbe is on a distinguished road

At first it's 20Mb. *Maybe* to 30 within a year or after, perhaps.
TbGbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 17:28   #54
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbGbe View Post
Carl - you originally posting the config.
At the bottom tou will see

33000000 : that's 30Mbs dwonload

and

2058000 : that's 2Mbs upload.

This is the configuration sent to your SuperHub by Virgin.
So nothing on your PC has affected your speeds - the "tech guy" was bluffing (to be polite) !!
I suspected as much Thanks for the confirmation. I'll get back to them when I can.

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbGbe View Post
At first it's 20Mb. *Maybe* to 30 within a year or after, perhaps.
Or, as I have said before, 10 -> 20 with the option (for a small fee) of 30.
Old 03-05-2012, 20:57   #55
Gadgie
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone, 10Meg Internet & TV & phone package.
Gadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Gadgie

[QUOTE=JPAC;35422754]Clarification from http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35421694-post12.html

Well I'm glad you posted that link up, as we thought we were getting the 60Mb, but now I know its actually 30Mb, that explains it now.
Gadgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 23:35   #56
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

My download now 20Mb, up at 1.2MB.
Old 04-05-2012, 15:54   #57
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Well that was interesting.

Just got my contract through and nearly died; but luckily a phone call got the problem sorted.

Problem #1
Price was the same and not lower. (Not really a problem as long as it wasn't higher but did wonder why!) Turns-out that this was a new 12-month contract for all services and therefore my Tivo charge was now £5 and not £3

Problem #2
This was, apparently, a "promotional price" which would increase by £10 at the end of the promotional period. Again, a quick call to retentions explained that it was, indeed, for the full 12 months and I should call to re-negotiate after that time.

So, not paying less but getting higher BB speed. Wish I could pay less and get a lower speed as I don't really have much use for the faster speed Ho hum! Such is life (I think they said that only way to now pay less would be to drop back to 10mb but that would also drop me to M phone and I don't want to do that!)

Also interesting to note that the 'deal' I got - on Monday - they would not be able to offer today.

Just some thoughts and observations for those thinking of changing packages.
Old 05-05-2012, 21:55   #58
Gadgie
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone, 10Meg Internet & TV & phone package.
Gadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Gadgie

We got our first bill yesterday and were shocked!!!!!!

They are charging us £10 a month more than we agreed before we returned back to them.

That has knocked a big whole in the money we "thought" we would be saving:
Gadgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 22:10   #59
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Then get back on the phone and sort it out!
Old 05-05-2012, 22:58   #60
JPAC
cf.addict

Always pays to check your bill, especially after contacting VM.