Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable Tidy Solution

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

If it got stolen!

Old 23-10-2009, 12:35   #1
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
If it got stolen!

If you lost your lappy / netboot or heaven forbid got burgled and your pc got stolen, how secure do you think your private data is?

Quote:
Identity Finder searches the deepest recesses of a computer to locate and secure data that is vulnerable to identity theft - even when you don’t know it exists. The information is then presented to you to permanently shred, quarantine to a secure location, or encrypt with a password.
The free version is a tad basic but it gives you a good idea on any issues you may need to address.

Code:
http://www.identityfinder.com/Products/Identity_Finder.html
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2009, 13:37   #2
zing_deleted

Re: If it got stolen!!

my passwords and personal data is encrypted anyway.

will run this to see what the score is though
Old 23-10-2009, 13:38   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Very secure thank you.

The Hard Drive of every machine that I own has full drive encryption, and any particularly sensitive information is stored in an encrypted vault on that drive (and is therefore doubly encrypted, although that description is pretty much a nonsense).

I never leave my machines unattended, and I never use the 'hibernate' or 'sleep' modes. When they're not in use, or being transported even short distances, they're fully powered down.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 13:45   #4
zing_deleted

The free version is way to basic only scanning my documents
Old 23-10-2009, 13:46   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

All your pr0n in a different folder zing?

I don't think I'll even look at it if that's the case, TBH it's only going to tell me what I already know anyway
Old 23-10-2009, 13:46   #6
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array

Well yeah but you two anit normal folk, Zing don't sleep, he just reboots..

This is for the masses, the great unwashed, like me good self..
Old 23-10-2009, 13:47   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

I'll take that accusation as a compliment Normal I aint
Old 23-10-2009, 13:47   #8
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
Very secure thank you.

The Hard Drive of every machine that I own has full drive encryption, and any particularly sensitive information is stored in an encrypted vault on that drive (and is therefore doubly encrypted, although that description is pretty much a nonsense).

I never leave my machines unattended, and I never use the 'hibernate' or 'sleep' modes. When they're not in use, or being transported even short distances, they're fully powered down.
Is that almost a hint of anger there Mr Rob
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 13:50   #9
Raistlin
Inactive

Only at the vendors of Operating Systems and Applications, and the thieving low-life scumbags, that make it necessary to go to these sorts of lengths just to protect your own data

TBH I probably take the security of the data on my machines waaaaaaaaay to seriously. For what's actually on them the precautions that I take could be considered OTT, I'd rather be safe than sorry though
Old 23-10-2009, 13:57   #10
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
Only at the vendors of Operating Systems and Applications, and the thieving low-life scumbags, that make it necessary to go to these sorts of lengths just to protect your own data

TBH I probably take the security of the data on my machines waaaaaaaaay to seriously. For what's actually on them the precautions that I take could be considered OTT, I'd rather be safe than sorry though
Best way to be though isn't it?

I think the creators of the OS will always be fighting a losing battle if they attempted to make them ultra-secure. I mean, just using the machine makes them insecure to a degree, then there's everyone trying to pick holes in the OS...

EDIT:
As for personal data, you'd get my name + email address, possibly a cookie or two for a few websites and an old payslip or two. (Which are devoid of any really useful details)
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 14:02   #11
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
Best way to be though isn't it?
I think so, others may disagree
Old 23-10-2009, 15:23   #12
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
Re: If it got stolen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfair View Post
If you lost your lappy / netboot or heaven forbid got burgled and your pc got stolen, how secure do you think your private data is?

The free version is a tad basic but it gives you a good idea on any issues you may need to address.

Code:
http://www.identityfinder.com/Products/Identity_Finder.html
If we`re talking about your average housebreaking/thieving scumbags then i reckon the just password on most of computers would have them stumped.
In the meantime though they better hope they dont get caught on candid camera and even if they were to get out the house with the laptops/desktops(?) i doubt they`d be doing very much with the ones we actually use.Probably flogging them on for even less than they normally would.

Besides, we dont keep any really sensitive data on our computers. On the other hand our son`s nearly 17 now so he might feel a little differently about that....who knows eh. I`m sure none of it`s as sensitive as those arty magazines his mother came across recently.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 15:28   #13
Wayfair
Inactive

I remember those arty mags so well, it was 25yrs ago but still :o)

I didn't realise mine had been found till mum told me to wash me hands properly before breakfast, odd that I thought, then I went upstairs to get me school bag and saw them in the bin...
Old 23-10-2009, 15:33   #14
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfair View Post
I remember those arty mags so well, it was 25yrs ago but still :o)

I didn't realise mine had been found till mum told me to wash me hands properly before breakfast, odd that I thought, then I went upstairs to get me school bag and saw them in the bin...
I first got caught with mine inside an Oor Wullie manual, to smother it..... Afterwards i so wished it had just been just the mag i`d been holding up.
I never ever got another Oor Wullie manual for Xmas
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote