Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What broadband will I be able to get?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

What broadband will I be able to get?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:51   #16
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads
Re: What broadband will I be able to get?

As I don't have a Gb lan card in my laptop, I rely on wifi at 5Ghz from my Asus router to get a regular 210Mb down/21Mb upload.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2017, 12:07   #17
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
If was getting poor speeds over wifi I'd still expect discount if the fault was oversubscription. I get 200Mb+ on WiFi at peak times.
If fault was oversubscription the fault would also manifest itself over wired
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 13:40   #18
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
If fault was oversubscription the fault would also manifest itself over wired
Of course it would, but the user was talking about WiFi which you said no to a refund.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 13:46   #19
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

ISP's do not support WiFi so only if the problem can be replicated with a wired connection.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 14:42   #20
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Of course it would, but the user was talking about WiFi which you said no to a refund.
No refund if wifi is the cause of the slow speeds / oversubscription. Virgin is only responsible for what comes down the coax - if it's full speed up to the hub (and thus wired) then you're not entitled to any kind of discount.

The point is that a wifi test isn't enough to prove Virgin is responsible for the slow speeds. You must do a wired test.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 16:11   #21
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
No refund if wifi is the cause of the slow speeds / oversubscription. Virgin is only responsible for what comes down the coax - if it's full speed up to the hub (and thus wired) then you're not entitled to any kind of discount.

The point is that a wifi test isn't enough to prove Virgin is responsible for the slow speeds. You must do a wired test.
That simply can't be true though. They offer a hub that can run WiFi, they offer a TV box that runs WiFi and even some customers don't have the technology to run wired speed tests and can reach full speeds of 200/300/350Mb. As the supplier they can't then just simply do nothing. I understand the limitations of WiFi but some people can't do a hard wired test. It's got to be said, I did mention oversubscription which would be VMs fault.

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
ISP's do not support WiFi so only if the problem can be replicated with a wired connection.
I was simply pointing out when someone said no refund if on WiFi which isn't technically true.
Old 11-10-2017, 18:32   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I've called them and been given a one off gesture of goodwill because they said that there is a problem of "signal to noise ratio" in my area.

They are going to look into it and it should take about a week to sort out.

Don't know what this actually means, but should it improve connectivity, speed or both?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 22:59   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

both
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 15:08   #24
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
That simply can't be true though. They offer a hub that can run WiFi, they offer a TV box that runs WiFi and even some customers don't have the technology to run wired speed tests and can reach full speeds of 200/300/350Mb. As the supplier they can't then just simply do nothing. I understand the limitations of WiFi but some people can't do a hard wired test. It's got to be said, I did mention oversubscription which would be VMs fault..
Oversubscription on Virgin's own lines is Virgin's fault, but Oversubscription of the free-for-all public wireless spectrum is nobody's fault (or everyone's fault, take your pick).

To use an analogy, if you buy a car that claims it can go 200Mph+ but can't get over 30MPh on a clear open road, then it's a fault with the car. However if you're stuck in traffic then it's public congestion and you have no right to complain to BMW, even though they sold you a car capable of going much faster.
Old 16-10-2017, 15:40   #25
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Oversubscription on Virgin's own lines is Virgin's fault, but Oversubscription of the free-for-all public wireless spectrum is nobody's fault (or everyone's fault, take your pick).

To use an analogy, if you buy a car that claims it can go 200Mph+ but can't get over 30MPh on a clear open road, then it's a fault with the car. However if you're stuck in traffic then it's public congestion and you have no right to complain to BMW, even though they sold you a car capable of going much faster.
I've already said I've mentioned oversubscription.
Old 16-10-2017, 15:58   #26
Kushan

Quote:
I've already said I've mentioned oversubscription.
Yes, but the bit you don't seem to be accepting is that Wifi is, by and large, out of Virgin's control.
Old 16-10-2017, 18:08   #27
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Yes, but the bit you don't seem to be accepting is that Wifi is, by and large, out of Virgin's control.
That doesn't mean they can't support it. If they offer their products with WiFi capabilities then they should support them to the best of their abilities.
Old 16-10-2017, 18:26   #28
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
That doesn't mean they can't support it. If they offer their products with WiFi capabilities then they should support them to the best of their abilities.
Which they do, they offer to change Wi-Fi channels
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 19:13   #29
Kushan

Quote:
They do, if you phone up with wifi issues, they'll do their best to resolve it. The problem is there's genuinely not a lot they can do if the wireless is indeed the problem.
Old 16-10-2017, 21:43   #30
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
They do, if you phone up with wifi issues, they'll do their best to resolve it. The problem is there's genuinely not a lot they can do if the wireless is indeed the problem.
And that's what I said, not sure what the problem is here.