Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can I use a BT Wireless Router for Virgin Broadband?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Can I use a BT Wireless Router for Virgin Broadband?

Old 07-08-2007, 20:58   #1
belinda75
Inactive

belinda75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I use a BT Wireless Router for Virgin Broadband?

Hi.
I was previously a BT internet customer and have a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Router.
I have just moved and have signed up with Virgin Media. Does anyone know if my BT router will work with Virgin Broadband? If so, please tell me what i need to do in order for the Virgin connection to see the router. I have tried to connect it up using the ethernet socket on the router - my laptop can see the router and says it's connected, but the internet connection isn't working.
Your advice is much appreciated.
Thanks!!
belinda75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2007, 21:06   #2
WillPS
Inactive

Services: VM XXL Broadband, XL TV with V+ and L Phone
WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Can I use a BT Wireless Router for Virgin Broadband?

Are you going with Virgin Media ADSL (previously virgin.net) or Vigin Media Cable (previously NTL or Telewest)?

If the answer is Virgin Media cable, the answer is probably no. You'll need a box which does not act as a modem but just 'splits' an existing connection up, usually referred to as a Cable/DSL modem.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure you can as long as you can change the dialing settings?
WillPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 21:09   #3
belinda75
Inactive

I'm using Virgin Media Cable (previously NTL)
Old 07-08-2007, 21:10   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If you are a cable customer, the answer is definitely no. You need a plain and simple router, with no ADSL modem built in.

If you have signed up for Virgin's ADSL service (previously marketed as Virgin.net, although I don't think they do any more), then possibly, provided you can access the Voyager's set-up screen and can input the information you need to give it in order to connect to the internet.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 21:11   #5
WillPS
Inactive

Services: VM XXL Broadband, XL TV with V+ and L Phone
WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by belinda75 View Post
I'm using Virgin Media Cable (previously NTL)
I doubt it then.

A simple check, does your router have an ethernet port marked "WAN" or similar (not a number) on the back?

Virgin Media Broadband works completely differently to ADSL, basically giving you a dedicated network connection rather than a portion of a phone line to dial in to.
WillPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 21:15   #6
belinda75
Inactive

ok - thanks for your help guys!

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
I doubt it then.

A simple check, does your router have an ethernet port marked "WAN" or similar (not a number) on the back?

Virgin Media Broadband works completely differently to ADSL, basically giving you a dedicated network connection rather than a portion of a phone line to dial in to.
There's a port at the back that just says "Ethernet".
Old 07-08-2007, 21:33   #7
John2897
Inactive

John2897 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your BT router probably has a built-in modem. Where as the NTL routers usualy don't. So you will receive a modem from NTL which plugs into a router. Your BT router/modem probably plugged straight into the phone line. The NTL modem plugs into a fat cable (fibre optic). Different plug than a phone cable (its round). Then you connect the modem via an Ethernet cable to a router. The router then connects to your PC's. But you already knew that bit.

So basically, you need to buy a new router, or tell NTL you are going to terminate the contract and go elsewhere unless they supply you with a free wireless router like I did.
John2897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 21:44   #8
xspeedyx

Nope
Old 07-08-2007, 21:49   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by belinda75 View Post
There's a port at the back that just says "Ethernet".
That's the output to the computer. The BT Voyager ADSL modem/router does not have an input socket for ethernet, which is what you would need in order to connect it to a Virgin Media cable modem.

The only input to the Voyager is the phone line socket.
Old 07-08-2007, 22:22   #10
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: Can I use a BT Wireless Router for Virgin Broadband?

I went out to someone trying to use a adsl router on bb and he could not work it out why his bb would not work when using the router He called himself a pc expert to had to laugh
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 13:49   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I have removed a lot of off-topic posts from this thread. No more, please.
Old 08-08-2007, 15:51   #12
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedkelly View Post
I went out to someone trying to use a adsl router on bb and he could not work it out why his bb would not work when using the router He called himself a pc expert to had to laugh
Popped into pcworld (for a laptop) and they have a display for routers which is clearly marked up - Ones for Virgin Media cable and ones for ADSL. (of course the funny thing is that there is no Virgin media cable for miles around here.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 15:56   #13
vmtech
Inactive

Services: 20Mb broadband Sky tv
vmtech is an unknown quantity at this point

lol bet they sell alot of them
vmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 17:19   #14
amateurfool
Inactive

Services: VirginMedia and proud of it.
amateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really niceamateurfool is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Ones for Virgin Media cable and ones for ADSL. (of course the funny thing is that there is no Virgin media cable for miles around here.
However the VM suitable router will work with ADSL Modems that have an ethernet output, which was handy when my boss brought the wrong wireless router for his home (it was an end of line netgear router, 75% discount, so couldn't return it), so got him an ADSL modem with an ethernet port.

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmtech View Post
lol bet they sell alot of them
They probably do
amateurfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 18:04   #15
wollac
Inactive

wollac is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Can I use a BT Wireless Router for Virgin Broadband?

I have just purchased an Edimax BR-6424n wireless router but made a stupid mistake in thinking it was also an adsl modem. My isp is plusnet, my internet runs down a bt phone line and i was wondring if it is possible to get a modem with an ethernet out so that i can connect to the router and will work with a bt phone line. Is there such a thing? is this possible? if so i would like to buy one but have not seen such a thing can someone please help me?
wollac is offline   Reply With Quote