Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2017, 18:11   #151
Raider999
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 263
Raider999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Apparently, reports on the web say that VM & ITV signed a ten year deal in 2015.

Info. courtesy of MB.

If that is true then surely ITV haven't got a leg to stand on (not that I think they have anyway).
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2017, 18:13   #152
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,398
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Apparently, reports on the web say that VM & ITV signed a ten year deal in 2015.

Info. courtesy of MB.
I think that deal related to ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and ITV Be.

The main ITV channel was not part of any deal as far as I am aware from what I have read. Of course, the public service requirements regarding the duty to broadcast free of charge on all platforms and to take a prominent position in the EPG is laid down separately.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 18:39   #153
Inactive Digital
Coming soon
 
Inactive Digital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Services: VM broadband
Posts: 153
Inactive Digital has a spectacular aura about themInactive Digital has a spectacular aura about themInactive Digital has a spectacular aura about themInactive Digital has a spectacular aura about them
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

The 2015 deal seems to have only been for the main PSB channel. Press reports earlier this year suggested the carriage deal for ITV's other channels was due for renewal in September. Presumably ITV's position was "pay for the main ITV channel, or lose all the others".

If September is correct, I guess there has been some kind of temporary agreement to continue distribution of the other channels

http://www.businessinsider.com/itv-c...n-media-2017-5
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 17:44   #154
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,504
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think that deal related to ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and ITV Be.

The main ITV channel was not part of any deal as far as I am aware from what I have read. Of course, the public service requirements regarding the duty to broadcast free of charge on all platforms and to take a prominent position in the EPG is laid down separately.
Yes, the information was regarding ITV2 etc.

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
The 2015 deal seems to have only been for the main PSB channel. Press reports earlier this year suggested the carriage deal for ITV's other channels was due for renewal in September. Presumably ITV's position was "pay for the main ITV channel, or lose all the others".

If September is correct, I guess there has been some kind of temporary agreement to continue distribution of the other channels

http://www.businessinsider.com/itv-c...n-media-2017-5
If it was the case that the September 2015 deal was in fact for ITV (1) only, I guess that this agreement has presumably been superceded by the change in the law.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 18:53   #155
Inactive Digital
Coming soon
 
Inactive Digital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Services: VM broadband
Posts: 153
Inactive Digital has a spectacular aura about themInactive Digital has a spectacular aura about themInactive Digital has a spectacular aura about themInactive Digital has a spectacular aura about them
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If it was the case that the September 2015 deal was in fact for ITV (1) only, I guess that this agreement has presumably been superceded by the change in the law.
My assumption is that the existing ITV (1) agreement stands from a legal perspective, but ITV are trying to use the other channels as a bargaining chip to renege on the 10 year agreement now they can legally charge for retransmission.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 21:21   #156
Raider999
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 263
Raider999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
My assumption is that the existing ITV (1) agreement stands from a legal perspective, but ITV are trying to use the other channels as a bargaining chip to renege on the 10 year agreement now they can legally charge for retransmission.
4 words come to mind when re-sorted

Court You In See
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:22.


Server: xenon.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.