Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | More VM Jobs could be lost to the Philippines.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

More VM Jobs could be lost to the Philippines.

Old 08-11-2017, 14:08   #16
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: More VM Jobs could be lost to the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I don't speak a word of it, but there again I don't need to as I aren't taking a Phillipino job whilst their own people are being made unemployed.

I think that their poor command of the English language is a contributory factor
Your command isn't so great either.
Old 08-11-2017, 14:11   #17
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I'm sure my degree will get me through.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 14:27   #18
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I last called VM CS about 3 months ago. I spoke to two well spoken people who sorted out my issues with no problem and no misunderstandings. Was I just lucky?
Old 08-11-2017, 14:54   #19
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I last called VM CS about 3 months ago. I spoke to two well spoken people who sorted out my issues with no problem and no misunderstandings. Was I just lucky?
I suspect not. I have never had much of an issue when ringing CS.
Then again, I dont ever recall getting someone who I could not understand, or understand me - maybe we are both lucky.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 14:54   #20
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Offshore agents are poorly trained, poorly paid and tightly monitored/scripted - so if you think they're idiots, think again.

And FYI, I've spoken to plenty of dumb onshore agents. I've also worked with quite a few.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 17:20   #21
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Some companies do spend a lot of time and money training overseas agents and many of them, especially in India do need good qualifications even just to work in a call centre.

Most of the time the barrier is language as English may not be their first language and so do struggle but get taught basic English and ways to try and interact with customers.

some companies do send UK staff over to help as well, I have seen it many times. talking to agents overseas everyday in South Africa and Egypt mainly they are lovely people, trying to do a good job and earn a living just like everyone else.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:00   #22
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Some companies do spend a lot of time and money training overseas agents and many of them, especially in India do need good qualifications even just to work in a call centre.

Most of the time the barrier is language as English may not be their first language and so do struggle but get taught basic English and ways to try and interact with customers.

some companies do send UK staff over to help as well, I have seen it many times. talking to agents overseas everyday in South Africa and Egypt mainly they are lovely people, trying to do a good job and earn a living just like everyone else.
I spent 6 weeks with our planning team over in Bangalore last year doing some training and i can assure you they are not idiots. A lot of them had degree's in planning and hit the ground running and they are still doing a bloody good job for us.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 13:03   #23
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Offshore agents are poorly trained, poorly paid and tightly monitored/scripted - so if you think they're idiots, think again.

And FYI, I've spoken to plenty of dumb onshore agents. I've also worked with quite a few.
Poorly paid compared to our wages, which is why companies like VM use them. It's probably decent pay in their own country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

But they are taking away the jobs of people like yourself, whilst UK customers tend not to like dealing with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I spent 6 weeks with our planning team over in Bangalore last year doing some training and i can assure you they are not idiots. A lot of them had degree's in planning and hit the ground running and they are still doing a bloody good job for us.
The salient point of creating this thread was to show that slowly but surely they are taking away more and more UK based VM jobs.

I doubt that there are many VM employees who are as enthusiastic about them, they probably have the poem 'And Then They Came For Me' in their mind.
Old 09-11-2017, 13:13   #24
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Poorly paid compared to our wages, which is why companies like VM use them. It's probably decent pay in their own country.

But they are taking away the jobs of people like yourself, whilst UK customers tend not to like dealing with them.

The salient point of creating this thread was to show that slowly but surely they are taking away more and more UK based VM jobs.

I doubt that there are many VM employees who are as enthusiastic about them, they probably have the poem 'And Then They Came For Me' in their mind.
Bangalore Cannot do my job as it involves customer Visits and route walking. They do all the admin stuff for us.

Old 09-11-2017, 14:10   #25
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
That doesn't mean they've got a good standard of living, or that there aren't better paid jobs again. From speaking to a trainer who was sent over to Pune to train agents, what he described was that the majority were switched-on, bright and intelligent people. However, the best agents wouldn't hang around for long and get better paying jobs elsewhere. That age-old issue where underpaid (For their ability) workers move on.

Quote:
They're not the ones taking away jobs from people, they are taking a job that is offered to them because why wouldn't you take (what you just claimed was) a well-paying job? They're not to blame for taking the job, VM are the ones to blame for moving the job.

Quote:
And that's where your issue lies - you're seeing it as "dey took ar jaaaaabs" when really they are just playing the hand they are dealt.

Quote:
I used to work for VM, I have had my fair share of run-ins with useless offshore agents, I wouldn't call myself "enthusiastic" at all. I just don't blame them individually for the failings of the company that employs them.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 15:30   #26
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
That doesn't mean they've got a good standard of living, or that there aren't better paid jobs again. From speaking to a trainer who was sent over to Pune to train agents, what he described was that the majority were switched-on, bright and intelligent people. However, the best agents wouldn't hang around for long and get better paying jobs elsewhere. That age-old issue where underpaid (For their ability) workers move on.

They're not the ones taking away jobs from people, they are taking a job that is offered to them because why wouldn't you take (what you just claimed was) a well-paying job? They're not to blame for taking the job, VM are the ones to blame for moving the job.

And that's where your issue lies - you're seeing it as "dey took ar jaaaaabs" when really they are just playing the hand they are dealt.

I used to work for VM, I have had my fair share of run-ins with useless offshore agents, I wouldn't call myself "enthusiastic" at all. I just don't blame them individually for the failings of the company that employs them.
Well said that man

Old 09-11-2017, 17:08   #27
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Never said that I blame them as individuals, I said that this is why companies like VM are doing this.

I agree that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys and as you say, any decent staff will be doing it as a stop gap until they find something better.
Old 09-11-2017, 19:36   #28
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Yes you were . With virgin since cabletel so to speak and never ever got any sense from overseas CS.
Old 09-11-2017, 22:12   #29
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Never said that I blame them as individuals, I said that this is why companies like VM are doing this.

I agree that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys and as you say, any decent staff will be doing it as a stop gap until they find something better.
The pay may seem peanuts to us, but it is the equivalent of a professional middle-class income in their countries.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:28   #30
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

It's a worrying trend. As well as the people who have lived here for years, asylum seekers, EU migrants, economic migrants etc needing employment, we are also losing jobs abroard without them even setting foot in the UK. At least immigrants and their employers pay NI and tax.

On top of this automation isn't that far away where a huge amount of jobs will be lost.

How are we to pay for the NHS, the welfare state and other public services? We are letting foreign people into the country, letting jobs leave the country to foreign countries, still allowing many tax loopholes.

When automation takes hold there will be massive job losses, but how will the unemployed (of all nationalities) be looked after?

It's time that the politicians took this on board and prepared for the future.

---------- Post added at 01:28 ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Bangalore Cannot do my job as it involves customer Visits and route walking. They do all the admin stuff for us.
Well, it's alright for those of us of a certain age who own our own home and have pensions, investments etc- especially if our jobs aren't likely to be lost either to other countries or due to automation, but what about younger people?

I'd hate to be starting out in today's world as it is now.