Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Old 11-05-2017, 10:39   #136
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots

Only access to Virgin Media WiFi via the mobile app is supported.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:08   #137
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty2K16 View Post
I just want to ask:
Can I use the free Virgin Media Wifi without using the app? I have a rooted S5 but the app wont work on it, also what about laptop users? i often take my laptop round to my friends and there are a few virgin wifi networks around but dont know how to login? I've tried my vm username & password but it dont accept?
Asked and answered already, literally 1 page back

Last edited by Synthetic; 11-05-2017 at 12:15.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 16:39   #138
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You can extract your username and password from the certificates for iOS. I've managed to get it to work on a MacBook Pro and a netbook running Linux. I've not managed to get it to connect in Windows, but it may just be the laptop I was using.

They could be detecting and blocking Windows though.
This.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:25   #139
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

There has obviously been an extension of the area covered with the wifi but the information page hasn't yet been updated nor the maps on the wifi app?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:33   #140
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
There has obviously been an extension of the area covered with the wifi but the information page hasn't yet been updated nor the maps on the wifi app?
Yeah, I'm finding that I'm connecting to the wifi quite a lot when I'm out and about in housing estates (that doesn't sound weird). Wondering if they're just lagging on the app or whether or not they won't put houses on there?

May have missed information saying it will be on there mind you.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 13:25   #141
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The app will be updated to show the enabled areas (some do already show), but there seems to have been a delay in doing that. Hopefully won't be too much longer.
Old 17-05-2017, 02:35   #142
Arty2K16
cf.member

Arty2K16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Asked and answered already, literally 1 page back
Well I cannot partake then as I have taken the steps to securing my smart phone completely by rooting it, and as usual, companies dont like people using rooted devices
Arty2K16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 15:14   #143
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty2K16 View Post
Well I cannot partake then as I have taken the steps to securing my smart phone completely by rooting it, and as usual, companies dont like people using rooted devices
Then you've not secured your phone properly at all. You want to use a systemless root like Magisk to get the benefits of root without actually exposing the system to root.

In other words, go install Magisk, tell it to hide root and you'll be able to use the app again.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 16:29   #144
Arty2K16
cf.member

Arty2K16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Then you've not secured your phone properly at all. You want to use a systemless root like Magisk to get the benefits of root without actually exposing the system to root.

In other words, go install Magisk, tell it to hide root and you'll be able to use the app again.
Thanks for that, installed & configured, now I can use a few old apps i had to stop using because of the root issue thank you very much
Arty2K16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 22:46   #145
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Finally after weeks of trying I have managed to get my Virgin wifi to configure to connect automatically. 'Support' suggested all kinds of solutions including disabling screen lock and various SSIDs from my saved network list. None of this worked, until I went for broke.

I deleted all SSID's from saved network list. Bingo! It worked. I guess there must be other SSIDs than the identified ones that cause the configuration process to fail.
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:14   #146
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You can extract your username and password from the certificates for iOS. I've managed to get it to work on a MacBook Pro and a netbook running Linux. I've not managed to get it to connect in Windows, but it may just be the laptop I was using.

They could be detecting and blocking Windows though.
Did you manage to find a solution to Windows ? I can manage to connect but I'm being given a 169 ip with no internet access. Wondering if this is down to Windows DHCP.

"We live in age of mass media where everything, everyday, is frenzied and hysterical and we don't have problems, we have crises."
- Ken Clarke.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 15:22   #147
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Nevermind, it needs Identity Privacy turned off.

"We live in age of mass media where everything, everyday, is frenzied and hysterical and we don't have problems, we have crises."
- Ken Clarke.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 00:33   #148
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

VM Hubs as WiFi hot spots - is this nationwide now?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 10:37   #149
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Yes, all Hub 3.0s are technically capable of being part of Virgin Media WiFi.

Some customers will have opted their own Hub out of providing the SSID.
Old 13-06-2017, 11:01   #150
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Can the hub act as a wifi hotspot in Modem mode? I suspect it would need to be in router mode, as it would need to issue private range IPs to any guest users.

Do you need to put your hub into router mode to have access to Virgin Media Wifi elsewhere? The reason I ask is that after my V1 superhub had severe reliability issues (it would lose wireless connectivity an hour or two after reboot, and would do so every time), I bought my own router. I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk which, while it is hideous (looks like something the team that designed the original Stealth bomber would have designed), is a good router, and from what I can gather, outperforms the SH3.

I am happy to provide a Wifi Hotspot, but do not want to give up my existing router. I have also found that having two routers handing out IP addresses on the same network is asking for trouble.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote