Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Possible DMF failure - Car people

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Possible DMF failure - Car people

Old 16-02-2017, 11:58   #1
Central

Services: Sky + HD family pack 50mb XXL Phone M Sutton Coldfield TX
Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society
Possible DMF failure - Car people

I worry to much when it comes to my car. Its a Mk2 1.8 TDCi and I got told by someone I trust 110% when it comes to cars its a noisy engine and it rocks when idle. It rocks but it doesn't move my key ring on my car but I can feel it. But it has done this since I owned it from Oct 2016. Its done 91k and mainly used on motorway as I do 50 miles a day for work.
Now my concern here is a possible DMF failure.

Yesterday it acted like it wanted to stall. It did once. It may of been me. Drove it this morning and it seemed fine. No stall issues. Pulls well and doesn't seem to be slipping. I would ask my friend but he works shifts and he has a little one on the way. I am 100% sure he will help me fix it but would rather ask you amazing people first before I go bothering him .

This video is just on my drive and idle. I have pushed the clutch pedal down during the video and gave it a little rev but apart from that it was left to its own devices.
From the video is there anything I should be concerned about?

Many thanks

https://youtu.be/cIkUviUpmKo
Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2017, 12:11   #2
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Re: Possible DMF failure - Car people

Quite common, so it may well be, reasons include driving too slowly in high gear, riding the clutch, towing etc.

I'd sooner bite my own leg off than have a modern diesel to be honest.

It's a mk 2 what btw?

Last edited by techguyone; 16-02-2017 at 12:15.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 12:21   #3
Central

Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society

I only bought a Diesel because of the commute I do and how much more I get mpg

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Quite common, so it may well be, reasons include driving too slowly in high gear, riding the clutch, towing etc.

It's a mk 2 what btw?
2006 Mk2 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate Ford Focus
Old 16-02-2017, 12:42   #4
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

Ah I see, so high 30's mpg possibly low 40's on a run, though the 1.8 is a bit thirsty.
Old 16-02-2017, 12:50   #5
Central

It averages about 45 for me and gives me about 515 on a full tank. Plus the 1.8 doesn't have the dreaded DPF
Old 16-02-2017, 14:03   #6
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

If you do end up changing the DMF you might as well change the clutch at the same time. Conversions to SMF are possible I believe.

Keep an eye out on eurocarparts as they often do 30% off. I know a sachs DMF for my car is the thick end of £400 should i ever need to replace
Old 16-02-2017, 15:09   #7
techguyone
Deus Vult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central View Post
It averages about 45 for me and gives me about 515 on a full tank. Plus the 1.8 doesn't have the dreaded DPF

Not bad, DPF would probably not be an issue for you, given your mileage and choice of roads, how many litres to fill up?
Old 16-02-2017, 23:00   #8
Central

Quote:
Not bad, DPF would probably not be an issue for you, given your mileage and choice of roads, how many litres to fill up?
52 I think
Old 16-02-2017, 23:13   #9
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

It's a mk 2 what btw?
Yup I've enjoyed mine for 13 years but it'll be my last. Too complex, too expensive to fix and getting worse.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 09:03   #10
techguyone
Deus Vult

I recently swapped out my big ol SUV for a 11 plate Honda Jazz, what a difference (Petrol - they don't make diesel ones)

56 mpg on a run, mid 40's mixed driving, and even if I drive like I stole it, I still get high 30's. Hell I can fill up for under £40 (which is miles less than my CRV used to be, and it has longer range too)

32 litre tank will get me 325 miles on a run which works out to something like 325/32 = 10.15

If I compare to OP's diesel focus which gets 515 on a 52 litre tank that's 515/52= 9.90 so we're getting diesel like economy without the complexity/expensive to fix stuff

I strongly suspect given the level of complexity that diesels have to meet EU regs and the fact they still sound like tractors, and now that modern petrols can reach pretty similar economy without that handicap will mean that diesels will be a thing of the past on anything except big vehicles.

They definitely seem to be falling from favour.

I'll also add that my Jazz has more interior space than a focus, despite being Fiesta size and is stuffed full of tech too, CC, panoramic roof, climate control, phone, ipod connectivity, foldy mirrors, privacy glass, alloys etc etc.

The engine is actually a 1.33 litre in it, but performs about as well as my old 2.0 litre Pinto lump in my capri S (don't let those pensioners pottering around at 40 fool you)

Last edited by techguyone; 17-02-2017 at 09:06.
Old 17-02-2017, 11:12   #11
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
I recently swapped out my big ol SUV for a 11 plate Honda Jazz, what a difference (Petrol - they don't make diesel ones)

56 mpg on a run, mid 40's mixed driving, and even if I drive like I stole it, I still get high 30's. Hell I can fill up for under £40 (which is miles less than my CRV used to be, and it has longer range too)

32 litre tank will get me 325 miles on a run which works out to something like 325/32 = 10.15

If I compare to OP's diesel focus which gets 515 on a 52 litre tank that's 515/52= 9.90 so we're getting diesel like economy without the complexity/expensive to fix stuff

I strongly suspect given the level of complexity that diesels have to meet EU regs and the fact they still sound like tractors, and now that modern petrols can reach pretty similar economy without that handicap will mean that diesels will be a thing of the past on anything except big vehicles.

They definitely seem to be falling from favour.

I'll also add that my Jazz has more interior space than a focus, despite being Fiesta size and is stuffed full of tech too, CC, panoramic roof, climate control, phone, ipod connectivity, foldy mirrors, privacy glass, alloys etc etc.

The engine is actually a 1.33 litre in it, but performs about as well as my old 2.0 litre Pinto lump in my capri S (don't let those pensioners pottering around at 40 fool you)
Modern petrol engines are actually getting more and more similar to diesels as they're classed as high pressure & use turbocharging. With that increased complexity comes of course increased servicing & maintenance costs

An example this is the 2.0 TFSI unit used by VW/Audi

Me, I get perhaps 28 Mpg If I'm lucky in the car (most days it's 20) and perhaps 45mpg on the bike.
Old 17-02-2017, 11:34   #12
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

If you need to repace the DMF there's a possible other solution:

Quote:
Because of expensive unreliability issues with dual-mass flywheels[3] there has been a trend to fit solid flywheels from lower power models of the same engine.[4] Some mechanics have even welded the dual mass elements together.[5] These 'fixes' have resulted in instances of gearbox damage and damage to engine crankshafts, as well as refinement and drive-ability issues.

Long established parts maker Valeo has developed a properly engineered 4-piece clutch kit to replace the DMF. The UK introduction was at the end of 2005.[6] It is claimed to provide increased reliability for the expensive replacement operation (labour time cost and the part cost), of the dual-mass flywheel. The 4-piece kit is composed of a traditional rigid flywheel and long travel damper consisting of a cover assembly, a high performance drive plate and a release bearing. Rigorous R&D testing showed the 4-piece kit performs just as well in terms of overall clutch operation, transmission protection, comfort and improves heat dissipation and durability. The transmission protection provides full engine and gearbox safety; the 4-piece kit matches the DMF for mechanical vibration reduction and therefore limits premature wear within the gearbox. The long travel damper closely matches the damping performance of a DMF. Fitting times are also comparable.
Wiki
Old 17-02-2017, 11:37   #13
techguyone
Deus Vult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Modern petrol engines are actually getting more and more similar to diesels as they're classed as high pressure & use turbocharging. With that increased complexity comes of course increased servicing & maintenance costs

An example this is the 2.0 TFSI unit used by VW/Audi

Me, I get perhaps 28 Mpg If I'm lucky in the car (most days it's 20) and perhaps 45mpg on the bike.
Indeed.

Thankfully no turbo or anything fancy here

I'll fully expect all petrols to go the way of diesels in the next 10 -15 years when we'll be 'encouraged' to go EV
Old 17-02-2017, 12:05   #14
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Indeed.

Thankfully no turbo or anything fancy here

I'll fully expect all petrols to go the way of diesels in the next 10 -15 years when we'll be 'encouraged' to go EV
I'm considering a Tesla for my next car in a couple of years. I bought my current car before i really got into bikes and whilst it's a seriously quick car (5.0 V10) it doesn't excite in the way either of the bikes do.

Ample places to charge up and the previous house owner to me had a charing point installed in the garage, possibly government scheme? As they didnt have an electric car

Hmmmm ludicrous mode......
Old 18-02-2017, 17:05   #15
Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
If you need to repace the DMF there's a possible other solution:

Wiki
I am told the single mass flywheel can cause massive vibrations on my car. I had looked into a conversion.