Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 25-01-2017, 22:54   #301
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

No it looks pretty a pretty abrupt parting of the ways to me but it would be nice to know what others think?
Old 25-01-2017, 22:57   #302
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No it looks pretty a pretty abrupt parting of the ways to me but it would be nice to know what others think?
it good no one can blame VM for that see VM aint always the bad guys after all people
Old 25-01-2017, 23:00   #303
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
it good no one can blame VM for that see VM aint always the bad guys after all people
Oh dear Dave l don't want you upsetting our Sky fan boys on this forum.
Old 25-01-2017, 23:04   #304
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Should be interesting to see how this plays out. Discovery will lose a lot of viewers if it's pulled from SKY. I'm a big fan of the Discovery Channel but not the other variations of the channel that broadcast. Would be sad to see it go but not a deal breaker for me.

Had a look at BARB figures for the Discovery Channel through 2016. It pulls in around 430,000 viewers per day. SKY households must account for around 70% of their total viewers. Can't see Discovery Channel lasting too long with around 129,000 viewers each day. Some of the other Discovery branded channels are only pulling in around 60,000 viewers per day.

Something has to give.
I'm willing to bet anyone who is annoyed should this happen can get out of contract owing to serious changes being made. You can bet people will be scouring the T&C's.
Old 25-01-2017, 23:11   #305
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Haha I love how Sky are trying to make it sound like it was their choice and then trying to promote their sports channels lmao.
Old 25-01-2017, 23:13   #306
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Kind of thing I expected from SKY. Get the announcement in early and monitor how many people give 30 days notice to cancel their TV service. SKY will already have worked out what their break even figure is. If cancellation requests don't come flooding in between now and the weeks after the channels go off air I can't see SKY breaking a sweat.

2 ways this can pan out. SKY see minimal impact which justifies their position that Discovery Network content isn't worth paying the asking price for. This puts Discovery Network in a position of losing the vast majority of their audience, carriage fee and loss of advertising revenue and having to face the reality of having to accept even less to get their channels back on the SKY platform.

The second outcome is SKY get more requests to cancel than they expected forcing them to go back to Discovery Network and paying more than they wanted to get the channels back.

I suspect SKY have already been preparing for the loss of these channels. SKY Sports Mix to cover Eurosport, Viceland to cover the Discovery Channels plus who knows maybe SKY Bravo might finally turn up to cover the nonsense broadcast on TLC, Quest and DMAX?
Old 25-01-2017, 23:15   #307
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Haha I love how Sky are trying to make it sound like it was their choice and then trying to promote their sports channels lmao.
As I say this happens all the time in the USA , apparently Discovery now have things rolling periodically across their channels. It's a game between the two which will no doubt get sorted somewhere in the middle. To be fair both parties can't afford for it to happen like Chad says be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 25-01-2017, 23:16   #308
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

This of course could be the first salvo of a proxy war, as we know the two combatants behind the scenes.
Old 25-01-2017, 23:22   #309
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
This of course could be the first salvo of a proxy war, as we know the two combatants behind the scenes.
What is the link with Discovery and Malone ?

Murdoch's Fox of course own majority stakes in the Nat Geo channels which of course compete for viewing with Discovery.
Old 25-01-2017, 23:28   #310
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
What is the link with Discovery and Malone ?

Murdoch's Fox of course own majority stakes in the Nat Geo channels which of course compete for viewing with Discovery.
He owns 29% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Communications.
Old 26-01-2017, 00:08   #311
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
For once vm are innocent lol.

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

Quote:
I'm willing to bet anyone who is annoyed should this happen can get out of contract owing to serious changes being made. You can bet people will be scouring the T&C's.
You can, although different company when BT lost Fox people were allowed to cancel their BT without penalty.

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Coming next VM lose Fox, nat geo, sky channels lol. I honestly wouldn't put it past Sky.
Old 26-01-2017, 01:07   #312
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Desperate stuff from Discovery:

http://keepdiscovery.co.uk/

"CALLING ALL SKY AND NOW TV VIEWERS: YOU MAY LOSE YOUR FAVOURITE DISCOVERY PROGRAMMES AND CHANNELS"

"Sky and NOW TV subscribers in the UK and Ireland could soon lose all of Discovery’s channels and programmes. Every week, more than five and a half million people watch one of our shows on Sky. Our fans are amongst the most loyal in TV and we have invested significantly to bring world class channels and high quality programmes to the UK for nearly 30 years.

We are committed to finding a solution with Sky in order to keep bringing you the channels you love."

It's emotional black mail. It's like they are staring into the abyss desperately appealing to SKY customers to step in and save the day.

Forget Gold Rush, Say Yes to the Dress and Tanked the "SKY carriage war" is the most entertaining thing Discovery have done in years.
Old 26-01-2017, 01:10   #313
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Desperate stuff from Discovery:

http://keepdiscovery.co.uk/

"CALLING ALL SKY AND NOW TV VIEWERS: YOU MAY LOSE YOUR FAVOURITE DISCOVERY PROGRAMMES AND CHANNELS"

"Sky and NOW TV subscribers in the UK and Ireland could soon lose all of Discovery’s channels and programmes. Every week, more than five and a half million people watch one of our shows on Sky. Our fans are amongst the most loyal in TV and we have invested significantly to bring world class channels and high quality programmes to the UK for nearly 30 years.

We are committed to finding a solution with Sky in order to keep bringing you the channels you love."

It's emotional black mail. It's like they are staring into the abyss desperately appealing to SKY customers to step in and save the day.

Forget Gold Rush, Say Yes to the Dress and Tanked the "SKY carriage war" is the most entertaining thing Discovery have done in years.
Thing is Discovery channels are quite poor now and their pleas won't be heard, seems like they realised they've royally screwed up and are trying emotional blackmail now.
Only shows i'd miss would be dual survival, ed stafford but they're all on kodi anyway but then again i have bt tv so not affected i don't think.
Gives me a good excuse to use to drop sky multiscreen might be able to barter a bit as in contract lol.
Old 26-01-2017, 01:17   #314
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Thing is Discovery channels are quite poor now and their pleas won't be heard, seems like they realised they've royally screwed up and are trying emotional blackmail now.
Only shows i'd miss would be dual survival, ed stafford but they're all on kodi anyway but then again i have bt tv so not affected i don't think.
Gives me a good excuse to use to drop sky multiscreen might be able to barter a bit as in contract lol.
I do love a bit of Ed Stafford but he's only on about 6 weeks in the year. Also used to love Mythbusters but that's finished. They don't have much on that I'd watch week in, week out. It's mainly 1 off documentaries I catch.

They've went the way of the History channel in recent years. I remember when both used to have quality documentaries. Now it's all about dumb ass reality shows.
Old 26-01-2017, 01:34   #315
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Good grief your household Arthur must switch between suppliers every few months.
Arthur's household is one of those households which have one window saying Vote Labour and the other saying Vote Conservative.

---------- Post added at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I'm sure the two will come to an agreement. After all, Sky sells their advertising last time I checked.
I think Discovery's content has decreased in quality but increased in viewer numbers. Whether such viewers are as attractive to advertisers is another matter.
Closed Thread