Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 29-12-2016, 17:30   #2536
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
What's the current state of play with VIP package and V6 boxes. Have just seen it advertised as two V6 boxes on the website. Is it worth ringing and asking for 2 to be installed, any idea what cost should be?
VIP customers can upgrade to two V6s for a one off charge of £64.48 and, assuming you don't have significant retention's discounts, no additional monthly charge.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2016, 16:50   #2537
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

It seems that Techradar are very impressed with the capability of the new V6.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/virgin-tv-v6-box

The only problem is the initial lack of UHD content, but this will come before long. The reviewers were very impressed with the stunning pictures that were presented via UHD.

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this box on 11 January!!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 17:12   #2538
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

The only problem is the initial lack of UHD content, but this will come before long. The reviewers were very impressed with the stunning pictures that were presented via UHD.

As content fragments amongst streaming providers like Netflix and Hayu alongside traditional broadcasters, a service that brings it all together like Tivo will come into its own.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 19:57   #2539
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
As content fragments amongst streaming providers like Netflix and Hayu alongside traditional broadcasters, a service that brings it all together like Tivo will come into its own.
I know, and by including other on demand services such as Amazon, I really do think Virgin Media will have a USP. I know that some on here don't see the attraction, but the seamless treatment of all the content available through the box, whether from streaming services, broadcasts or recordings, is something I don't think they have taken into consideration.
Old 30-12-2016, 20:14   #2540
OhReally

Quote:

Interestingly there is a link to the "tubby-tablet", £299 up front or a tenner a month for 24 months

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Quote:
I know, and by including other on demand services such as Amazon, I really do think Virgin Media will have a USP. I know that some on here don't see the attraction, but the seamless treatment of all the content available through the box, whether from streaming services, broadcasts or recordings, is something I don't think they have taken into consideration.
Many (a majority?) don't subscribe to any streaming services so there IS no point for us.

I don't know anyone who subscribes to Netflix or it's ilk and I see 3-5 new clients a week across all income and social strata. If it was that widespread you'ld think I would come across at least one of them...
Old 30-12-2016, 20:27   #2541
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Interestingly there is a link to the "tubby-tablet", £299 up front or a tenner a month for 24 months

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Many (a majority?) don't subscribe to any streaming services so there IS no point for us.

I don't know anyone who subscribes to Netflix or it's ilk and I see 3-5 new clients a week across all income and social strata. If it was that widespread you'ld think I would come across at least one of them...
Whereas my 17 year old daughter (me) and the majority of her mates (parents) subscribe to Netflix. Have no idea what business you are in but apparently Netflix have 5 million UK subscribers, which is 25% of UK households.

Last edited by Mr Banana; 30-12-2016 at 20:33.
Old 30-12-2016, 20:39   #2542
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

And yet some on here seem to think that most people do have access to other OTT services, which is the reason they give for saying that it is a waste of time having them on there.

However, I think most people subscribing to VM for the first time would be well impressed by having these services available on the Tivo.

For those who've not contemplated the likes of Netflix before, the fact that it is so easily available to them via their Tivos might make many people very tempted to go for it.

I don't know which area of the country you are in, and I suppose that away from the south east perhaps there is a different attitude towards pay TV generally, let alone OTT services. However, it is a completely different picture in these parts. I don't get to meet many people who HAVEN'T got Netflix.
Old 30-12-2016, 21:01   #2543
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
And yet some on here seem to think that most people do have access to other OTT services, which is the reason they give for saying that it is a waste of time having them on there.

I don't think it's a waste of time at all. But many people will already have devices that provide them; TVs, Bluray players and gaming devices. And there are several services that will probably never appear; Now TV, Google Play and Wuaki TV. And you will never be able to add Kodi, which many people use for it's intended legitimate use of streaming your own personal ripped DVDs. All these will require an additional device that will, in some cases, include the Tivo apps anyway.

I do think it is good that VM have added them to Tivo, but it's far from a significant USP, especially for those wanting the maximum number of TV channels who will choose Sky.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 23:20   #2544
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
Whereas my 17 year old daughter (me) and the majority of her mates (parents) subscribe to Netflix. Have no idea what business you are in but apparently Netflix have 5 million UK subscribers, which is 25% of UK households.
The Midlands, business is Estate Planning (death, wills etc), typical clients 45+ often still supporting adult children and just being cautious about discretionary spending.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:17   #2545
JohnWB
Inactive

Services: Two V6 boxes, 200meg BB
JohnWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you plug a wireless keyboard adaptor into the V6 USB port, like you can with a TIVO box or can you connect the keyboard to the V6 directly by wireless
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 14:15   #2546
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I don't think it's a waste of time at all. But many people will already have devices that provide them; TVs, Bluray players and gaming devices. And there are several services that will probably never appear; Now TV, Google Play and Wuaki TV. And you will never be able to add Kodi, which many people use for it's intended legitimate use of streaming your own personal ripped DVDs. All these will require an additional device that will, in some cases, include the Tivo apps anyway.

I do think it is good that VM have added them to Tivo, but it's far from a significant USP, especially for those wanting the maximum number of TV channels who will choose Sky.
I am sure that there are many people in your circle of friends, relatives and other acquaintences who do have these other devices, but I contend that a big majority of the overall population do not. We should not underestimate the attraction also of having one search engine for any programme on a whole range of streaming services.

Given Sky's apparent reassessment towards making Sky Atlantic more generally available, I am now inclined to agree that Now TV may never arrive on the v6 as it will be a complete duplication should we ultimately get SA.

Kodi is also unlikely to arrive, but I would imagine we could still get Wuaki.
Old 05-01-2017, 14:48   #2547
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I would imagine we could still get Wuaki.

Wuaki's pretty poor IMHO. I got three free HD movies when I replaced one of my Now TV boxes with a Roku 2 box recently.

HD is barely 720p, and poor quality. There is no 5.1 audio. Compare that with Amazon and Google Play movies, which are in 1080p and 5.1, and Wuaki looks like a very poor relation.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 16:50   #2548
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

getting my V6 installed today just hope the wait is worth it ?
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 17:03   #2549
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
getting my V6 installed today just hope the wait is worth it ?
Let us know what you think of it mate.
I have to wait until 7th Feb for mine.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 17:53   #2550
scollie
cf.member

scollie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Let us know what you think of it mate.
I have to wait until 7th Feb for mine.
When I booked a V6 before Xmas I was given a date of 3rd March for installation but told that I could check back for a cancellation after the New Year. I rang up yesterday and am now scheduled for 13th Jan.
I'm in the Croydon/Sutton area.
scollie is offline   Reply With Quote